Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Johann Hari on protesting Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:

What's the point in; demonstrating, marching, protesting, a common cry? Journalist Johann Hari answers: because that's how we can change history.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Can someone answer this for me? What are you protesting for. The choice is a fees rise or Labour's Grad Tax. One or the other.

ReputationRep:
    Well, if you need to ask...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Can someone answer this for me? What are you protesting for. The choice is a fees rise or Labour's Grad Tax. One or the other.
    The choice is democracy or autocracy. Yes, something should've been said about fees previously but I hope that now there is public awareness, people are more likely to take to the streets to express their views.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANARCHY__)
    The choice is democracy or autocracy. Yes, something should've been said about fees previously but I hope that now there is public awareness, people are more likely to take to the streets to express their views.
    Aww a minority of bored students decide to protest and because the government don't give into them it's not democratic. The majority of people voted for the conservatives knowing that their stance is the privatisation of the public sector and a cut in welfare spending. A majority of people voted for this so I fail to see how it's undemocratic to implement a fee increase

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flying twig)
    Aww a minority of bored students decide to protest and because the government don't give into them it's not democratic. The majority of people voted for the conservatives knowing that their stance is the privatisation of the public sector and a cut in welfare spending. A majority of people voted for this so I fail to see how it's undemocratic to implement a fee increase
    Because students can't vote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flying twig)
    The majority of students did not vote to increase student fees. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Low Profile)
    The majority of students did not vote to increase student fees. :rolleyes:
    The majority of students did not vote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FyreFight)
    Tu che. However, It's pretty obvious they would not vow in favour of tuition fee rises. Most students that did vote, voted for the Lib-Dems under the pledge of scrapping the fees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FyreFight)
    The ones that'll actually get hit by the fee rises (those just starting college) weren't entitled to vote. Nor was I, despite starting uni 4 months after the election.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 2, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.