Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    please give reasons

thanks

ReputationRep:
    The Defy is really new so I dont know much about it, but the screen is an obvious feature. 3.7" high res vs 3.2" low res on the Wildfire. It's also ruggedly built, waterproof etc but the Wildfire is well built too and is cheaper at £140 at the moment.

I think in a touchscreen phone you should go for a minimum of 3.5" screen. It will make life much easier navigated the web, watching videos, nagivating sat nav and typing in portrait-- all apps will work too unlike the Wildfire. In all other aspects the Defy matches or is better than the Wildfire (as you'd expect on a newer phone), or at least seems that way on paper.

Bear in mind the Defy is new so there might be bugs and quirks we don't know about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    The Defy is really new so I dont know much about it, but the screen is an obvious feature. 3.7" high res vs 3.2" low res on the Wildfire. It's also ruggedly built, waterproof etc but the Wildfire is well built too and is cheaper at £140 at the moment.

I think in a touchscreen phone you should go for a minimum of 3.5" screen. It will make life much easier navigated the web, watching videos, nagivating sat nav and typing in portrait-- all apps will work too unlike the Wildfire. In all other aspects the Defy matches or is better than the Wildfire (as you'd expect on a newer phone), or at least seems that way on paper.

Bear in mind the Defy is new so there might be bugs and quirks we don't know about.
    Thanks for the response, price isnt an issue as im looking at them on the same monthly contract price. I have looked at the HTC sense interface and seemed to really like it, but is it really a comprise considering the much better specs you get with defy?

ReputationRep:
    My friend and I recently got new phones at exactly the same time on the same £15 per month contract - I got the Defy, he got the Wildfire.

The Defy is better in almost every way. It has a faster processor (800MHz vs. 600), larger and much higher res screen (it really is noticeable, the Wildfire screen looks terrible), plus it is waterproof and shockproof. He hasn't been able to get some apps and games on his Wildfire as his screen resolution is not supported. The only area where the Wildfire wins in my eyes is that the HTC Sense UI software is better than the Motoblur on the Defy. It's pretty easy to rip the Motoblur off the Defy and replace it with something better though. The camera on the Defy is nothing to shout about, not something that bothers me, and the Wildfire's isn't brilliant either. The Defy comes with Swype pre loaded which is pretty handy.

From what I hear the Defy will be getting Android 2.2 soonish. I've not noticed and bugs with mine yet. I love it, the novelty of texting in the shower still hasn't worn off. For the price I got it it was excellent value, I think it might be on a cheaper introductory rate though - T-mobile did hiked the price of the Desire right up a coupls of months after introducing at an absolute bargain price.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 101101)
    Thanks for the response, price isnt an issue as im looking at them on the same monthly contract price. I have looked at the HTC sense interface and seemed to really like it, but is it really a comprise considering the much better specs you get with defy?
    Tough one. I haven't tried Moto Blur (which isn't particularly popular). HTC Sense is pretty awesome though. Based on the reviews, Blur doesn't seem to be a total disaster this time round?

3.7" vs 3.2" is a world of difference (not to mentioned the MUCH better resolution). Seriously. Go try the phones out. You might even find 3.7" isn't as pocketable as you thought.

It's a shame the HTC Legend isn't offered more competitively, that would suit you perfect.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys,

(Original post by Blackspur)
    My friend and I recently got new phones at exactly the same time on the same £15 per month contract - I got the Defy, he got the Wildfire.

The Defy is better in almost every way. It has a faster processor (800MHz vs. 600), larger and much higher res screen (it really is noticeable, the Wildfire screen looks terrible), plus it is waterproof and shockproof. He hasn't been able to get some apps and games on his Wildfire as his screen resolution is not supported. The only area where the Wildfire wins in my eyes is that the HTC Sense UI software is better than the Motoblur on the Defy. It's pretty easy to rip the Motoblur off the Defy and replace it with something better though. The camera on the Defy is nothing to shout about, not something that bothers me, and the Wildfire's isn't brilliant either. The Defy comes with Swype pre loaded which is pretty handy.

From what I hear the Defy will be getting Android 2.2 soonish. I've not noticed and bugs with mine yet. I love it, the novelty of texting in the shower still hasn't worn off. For the price I got it it was excellent value, I think it might be on a cheaper introductory rate though - T-mobile did hiked the price of the Desire right up a coupls of months after introducing at an absolute bargain price.
    What does your friend think of the Wildfire?
    What is wrong with Motoblur?
    Can you use the defy as a modem?

Sorry for the large amount of questions, but you seem to have a good idea of what your talking about.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    None. Nokia 3310 obviously.

ReputationRep:
    please give reasons

thanks
    Definitely Defy. I I never had my Desire, I'd be considering it due to scratch resistance (on these smartphone slates, it's impossible to keep it scratchless without a horrible plastic protector) and water resistance.

Also, once 2.2 is released on it, you will really welcome the extra processing power. A friend has the Wildfire and finds it very sluggish even on 2.1, and it lacks support for some, more demanding, apps.

Go to www.cnet.co.uk for the best reviews.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys,

What does your friend think of the Wildfire?
    What is wrong with Motoblur?
    Can you use the defy as a modem?

Sorry for the large amount of questions, but you seem to have a good idea of what your talking about.

Thanks
    He loves it, but he loves it because it's his first smartphone/phone with internet access. He has said to me he wishes he got the Defy - the low res screen and lack of availability of some apps does irritate him.

There is nothing wrong with Motoblur per se, it's just not as good as some other UIs. It doesn't look particularly swish and there's a fairly limited number of widgets. At face value there isn't a massive difference between Sense and Motoblur. I haven't bothered to get rid of it yet but I probably will one day, just to try out some other things e.g. ADW launcher. Motoblur does have quite a handy contact syncing feature though.

I'm not sure what you mean about using it as a modem, are you asking if you can use the 3G internet of the phone through a laptop? Ifso then yes you can, all you need is to plug it in with a USB cable and tell it to USB tether. I get 3GB of internet as part of my phone contract which is a pretty huge amount so even using it through my laptop I don't really need to worry about running over my limit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackspur)
    He loves it, but he loves it because it's his first smartphone/phone with internet access. He has said to me he wishes he got the Defy - the low res screen and lack of availability of some apps does irritate him.

There is nothing wrong with Motoblur per se, it's just not as good as some other UIs. It doesn't look particularly swish and there's a fairly limited number of widgets. At face value there isn't a massive difference between Sense and Motoblur. I haven't bothered to get rid of it yet but I probably will one day, just to try out some other things e.g. ADW launcher. Motoblur does have quite a handy contact syncing feature though.

I'm not sure what you mean about using it as a modem, are you asking if you can use the 3G internet of the phone through a laptop? Ifso then yes you can, all you need is to plug it in with a USB cable and tell it to USB tether. I get 3GB of internet as part of my phone contract which is a pretty huge amount so even using it through my laptop I don't really need to worry about running over my limit.
    Thanks for the info, sorry i did not make the modem part clear but you answered my question perfectly, thanks.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 2, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.