Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I know you can get into Law on viryually any subjects and am doing my As levels atm. Chemistry, Maths, Physics, and History. I was just wondering what extra curricular things i could do too boost my application: I currently do volunteering work with disabled people, and am hopefully getting some Wrok experiance in the Summer. Also what kind of GCSE's would be needed to go to a decent uni for law i got 1A* 5A's 4B's and a C

ReputationRep:
    GCSE results are almost irrelevant; you really need to be looking at your predicted A level results and AS results, what are they just out of interest?

In terms of work experience; look for solicitors firms that will take you on.

ReputationRep:
    Visit courts, read legal books, take an interest in the area. Get some work exp, solicitors, barristers, shadow a judge if you can.

Volunteering is okay, but you need to justify in your UCAS form why you would be a good law student, what skills you have that are useful and relevant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ollie51)
    GCSE results are almost irrelevant; you really need to be looking at your predicted A level results and AS results, what are they just out of interest?

In terms of work experience; look for solicitors firms that will take you on.
    Yh i've phoned up various law firms and asked am waiting for emails and things. Im predicted 3A's and 1B but the B is being considered being chnaged to an A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by draikzer)
    Visit courts, read legal books, take an interest in the area. Get some work exp, solicitors, barristers, shadow a judge if you can.

Volunteering is okay, but you need to justify in your UCAS form why you would be a good law student, what skills you have that are useful and relevant.
    Ye my dads friend is a firned of someone who works in the old bailey may try and get a tour around there. I'm also thinking of going to debating society and chairing our school lecture tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazbaz)
    Ye my dads friend is a firned of someone who works in the old bailey may try and get a tour around there. I'm also thinking of going to debating society and chairing our school lecture tomorrow
    That's good, if you live in London you can just go in the court of appeal/high court and sit for an hour or so, providing its a public case. Debating will help, but i do encourage you to read some introductory law books.

ReputationRep:
    That's good, if you live in London you can just go in the court of appeal/high court and sit for an hour or so, providing its a public case. Debating will help, but i do encourage you to read some introductory law books.
    What would you recommend?

ReputationRep:
    N. J. McBride, Letters to a Law Student (2nd ed. Longman, 2010)
    J. Adams & R. Brownsword, Understanding Law (4th ed., Sweet & Maxwell, 2006)
    G. Rivlin, Understanding the Law (4th ed. OUP, 2006)
    A.T.H. Smith, Glanville Williams: Learning the Law (14th ed., Sweet & Maxwell, 2010)
    S.I. Strong, How to Write Law Essays and Exams (3rd ed., OUP, 2010)
    C Barnard, J O’Sullivan & G Virgo, eds., What About Law? Studying Law at University (Hart, 2008)

That's my uni preliminary reading list. I've never read them myself, as I studied law at A-Level, so I didnt feel I needed to. But these texts are generally accepted as good preliminary reading.

ReputationRep:
    Also, if you dont already start reading a respectable newspaper.

The Times, Guardian, Independent, watch the news a lot, keep up on legal affairs. All good stuff to include in your P/S

ReputationRep:
    Also, if you dont already start reading a respectable newspaper.

The Times, Guardian, Independent, watch the news a lot, keep up on legal affairs. All good stuff to include in your P/S
    You go to Kings?. What were your GCSE's like if i get A's at As and so get good predicted A2's i was thinking of applying there, but with my GCSE grades do you think it would be a waste of an application?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazbaz)
    You go to Kings?. What were your GCSE's like if i get A's at As and so get good predicted A2's i was thinking of applying there, but with my GCSE grades do you think it would be a waste of an application?

GCSEs - 1A* 6A 1B 1C
    AS - AABB
    A2 - A*AA

So no, your application seems fine. Your GCSEs and ASs seem on track for King's, from my experience. Just remember, for KCL you have to take the LNAT, too.

ReputationRep:
    GCSE's are mostly irrelevant, even top unis only usually specify English/Maths grade B or above (max A).

Try and get some work experience shadowing someone. Make sure your personal statement is very good. Theres a private forum on TSR where you can safely post it for only moderators to see and comment on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samir1106)
    GCSE's are mostly irrelevant, even top unis only usually specify English/Maths grade B or above (max A).

Try and get some work experience shadowing someone. Make sure your personal statement is very good. Theres a private forum on TSR where you can safely post it for only moderators to see and comment on.
    Im not actually in year 13 yet only in year 12 got my AS's in June so ye i will get A;s! .

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.