Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Inception the movie Watch

ReputationRep:
    Just finihsed watching Inception for the 2nd time. When the film finishes was Leonardo still dreaming or not. So confused? I think I'm slow like that.....:confused::confused:

ReputationRep:
    He was a prisoner on the island the entire time.

ReputationRep:

It is the intention of the movie to leave you confused.

I have finally found the appropriate thread for these images:

Expectations:

Reality:

Inception:

ReputationRep:
      I think thats what the aim was. The spinner did start to wobble a bit, I don't think it wobbles during a dream. Apparently you hear it drop during the end credits according to answer on yahoo questions

ReputationRep:
      Nolan didn't provide any clarification, so that would suggest that it's meant to be left ambiguous. Decide an outcome you prefer and go with that.

ReputationRep:
      Stay confused, it's the best way.

ReputationRep:
      Imo, not a dream since it started to wobble - it never wobbled when his wife put it in her safe in the dream.

ReputationRep:
      its real...thats the only explanation that would fit the story line.

cobb finds sato in limbo, and as demonstrated earlier in the movie, to get your self out of limbo you need to 1, realise your in limbo, 2, kick your self out.

cobb did remind sato he was in limbo, the conversation took place about honoring their agreement (about letting cobb go home). sato reaches for the gun - this could only mean they did kill each other and got them selves out, eventually woke up in the plane. in my opinion, this is what makes sense given the circumstances.

i think the film's producer intentionally made it so that it would confuse you with the dreamy dramatic music in the end, and the spinning top.

however it can also be that cobb is dreaming the end, which is a clear possibility but would need to explained with more information, and i believe this would be a stupid explanation as it would take away the authenticity of the movie.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by konvictz0007)
      its real...thats the only explanation that would fit the story line.
      No it's not, there are three possibilities which are all fit perfectly within the story arc and can be explained - that it's all a dream, that only part of it is a dream, or that it is all real.

i believe this would be a stupid explanation as it would take away the authenticity of the movie.
      Then you've missed the message of the movie. As evidenced by the scene in the snow fortress, what's important are the experiences you have, not the circumstances. It is our own personal experiences which matter. What's beautiful about the ending is that it allows you to have a personal experience, which is rare in a such a mainstream film.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Phalanges)
      No it's not, there are three possibilities which are all fit perfectly within the story arc and can be explained - that it's all a dream, that only part of it is a dream, or that it is all real.

Then you've missed the message of the movie. As evidenced by the scene in the snow fortress, what's important are the experiences you have, not the circumstances. It is our own personal experiences which matter. What's beautiful about the ending is that it allows you to have a personal experience, which is rare in a such a mainstream film.
      well i believe there are evidences there to prove it wasnt a dream.

e.g. on imdb we see that his kids are played by 2 seperate set of actors, which does support the theory that the end was real. secondly if the end was a dream while hes stuck in limbo, where is mall - why would she not be there, if his perfect dream is meant to be this perfect, it does not make sense.

also your right, there can be a theory the whole is a dream. now, again, i think thats stupid because you have an epic movie, which fits properly and everything works, but then you decide to say 'oh it was just a long dream' - kinda ruins the fun of it all and makes it pointless, like they havent achieved anything.

and i do believe many people have pointed out that the totem does wobble near the end, and just look at cobb's reaction when he sees his kids.

if you want to put some theories up, offer an explanation to justify your theories, and i will be glad to read it.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by konvictz0007)
      well i believe there are evidences there to prove it wasnt a dream.

e.g. on imdb we see that his kids are played by 2 seperate set of actors, which does support the theory that the end was real. secondly if the end was a dream while hes stuck in limbo, where is mall - why would she not be there, if his perfect dream is meant to be this perfect, it does not make sense.

also your right, there can be a theory the whole is a dream. now, again, i think thats stupid because you have an epic movie, which fits properly and everything works, but then you decide to say 'oh it was just a long dream' - kinda ruins the fun of it all and makes it pointless, like they havent achieved anything.

and i do believe many people have pointed out that the totem does wobble near the end, and just look at cobb's reaction when he sees his kids.

if you want to put some theories up, offer an explanation to justify your theories, and i will be glad to read it.
      There's no conclusive evidence to support any of these.

If you were dreaming, why wouldn't you expect your children to age? The fact they've aged shows nothing.

Mal became a monster for him. To have her out of his life was his closure; it freed him to be free of her. Her not being there was what he wanted, because he knew she was dead and just haunting him whether he was dreaming or not.

As I've said, to say that the film is negated because it's all a dream misses the point. Is your experience any less real because nothing tangible happened? No.

The wobbling totem can be used to support the idea that it's a dream though - in a dream if Cobb truly believed himself to be in reality the totem would fall, because it's only governed by the rules he creates.

I've had discussions on many points of this film on this forum already - there's plenty of threads with hundreds of posts on them if you fancy a read. Personally, I think it all fits best if the entire film is a dream; it explains the crazy technology, the focus only on the main points with blurring towards the edges, the deus ex machina that is Sato, and a myriad other points that I can't really be bothered to recount again.

ReputationRep:
      The point isn't that the spinning top wobbled or that it didn't fall so it is a dream or it isn't a dream or anything like that.

The point is that Leo spins the top and then walks away. He doesn't check if it falls or not. He doesn't care if it's real or a dream anymore. And thusly, there is no answer.

ReputationRep:
      He was a prisoner on the island the entire time.
      You are getting it mixed up with Shutter Island.

ReputationRep:
      Not gonna lie, Mal would get it.

ReputationRep:
      Argument for either way:

REAL
      The spinning top wobbled.

DREAM
      Do you remember Mal in limbo showed the kids in exactly the same position about to turn round (like the original memory), but Cobb looked away? Then, in 'reality', the kids and in that exact same position, Cobb doesn't look away, and sees them turn round. Why would they be in that exact same position, except if they were to correct Cobb's unfortunate memory? He then goes to them and doesn't check the spinning top, the exact thing he feared would happen if he looked at his children in limbo with Mal.

I'm split 50/50 on this.

ReputationRep:
      If you were dreaming, why wouldn't you expect your children to age? The fact they've aged shows nothing.
      Dominic and Mal Cobb 'grew old together', yet they were still young when they killed themselves on the train-track in limbo. It seems that your age is messed about with whilst dreaming in the Inception world.

ReputationRep:
      there is no right or wrong answer the spinning thing at the end is just to make the audience think

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by lightburns)
      Dominic and Mal Cobb 'grew old together', yet they were still young when they killed themselves on the train-track in limbo. It seems that your age is messed about with whilst dreaming in the Inception world.
      But Saito aged in limbo significantly, so ageing is a distinct possibility. Also if he were dreaming about his children then they would be outside the rules governing the (supposedly) real people like Saito and Mal.

ReputationRep:
      Spoiler:
      Show
      http://gizmodo.com/5651826/inception-ending-revealed-by-sir-michael-caine

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.