Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Answers to any of these questions would be very helpful (don't worry I dont expect answers to all of them hahah! just anything you could tell me would be great thanks!)

1. This summer school, does it increase your chances of getting into Oxford, as in if you manage to really impress a tutor, and they remember you or something?

2. It says it is for students in the first year of college, do you reckon I could apply for the summer school if I am in my second year of college, but taking a gap year, so applying the same time as the first year students to university?

3. Experiences of the summer school if you went on it, was it helpful/ fun? Did you get much out of it?

4. How hard was the application process to it? Did anyone get rejected from applying to take part in the summer school

(I am applying for english literature, so if anyone did the summer school for this subject that would be even more helpful!)

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bounce7)
    1. This summer school, does it increase your chances of getting into Oxford, as in if you manage to really impress a tutor, and they remember you or something?

2. It says it is for students in the first year of college, do you reckon I could apply for the summer school if I am in my second year of college, but taking a gap year, so applying the same time as the first year students to university?

3. Experiences of the summer school if you went on it, was it helpful/ fun? Did you get much out of it?

4. How hard was the application process to it? Did anyone get rejected from applying to take part in the summer school

(I am applying for english literature, so if anyone did the summer school for this subject that would be even more helpful!)
    First thing that influences the answers is - are you talking about the official university/charity link up ones or commercial ones? I'll assume the former ones & answer based on that although what I say may be slightly out of date so do you usual searching the internet/reading the official literature etc. too.

1. Not really in a concrete predictable way i.e. '5 bonus points for summer school' etc.!
    But there are aspects that could increase your chances e.g. greater familiarity with what they're looking for & the course/environment, subjects that might include attendence at that sort of thing (or demographic information that make you eligible in the first place e.g. family/school educational background) in their additional shortlisting criteria, additional demonstration of commitment to & enthusiasm in your subject etc.
    Obviously not everyone can go on a summer school so impressing a certain tutor perhaps didn't ought to make a difference - but people are human... I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to make an awesome impression & you can't stop someone from remembering you. (But not every tutor from every college in a subject is involved, different people do intervieiwng from time to time & they're often panel interviews so it's unlikely to be the be-all-and-end all.)

2. I don't know. It seems reasonable but the organizers are the only people who can answer - email them & ask?

3. I didn't go on them but spent 2 summers working on them & my husband (sorry - gratuitous use ) worked on a commercial one for a summer... the feedback invariably seemed to be very very positive.

4. For the university/charity ones - yes, unfortunately people do get rejected.
    Statistically for my subject (medicine) in the years I worked the summer school was more oversubscribed than the degree!
    But - the selection criteria are different - I'm sure there would have been people who didn't get onto the summer school but did the degree if they weren't disheratened & still applied.

Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    First thing that influences the answers is - are you talking about the official university/charity link up ones or commercial ones? I'll assume the former ones & answer based on that although what I say may be slightly out of date so do you usual searching the internet/reading the official literature etc. too.

1. Not really in a concrete predictable way i.e. '5 bonus points for summer school' etc.!
    But there are aspects that could increase your chances e.g. greater familiarity with what they're looking for & the course/environment, subjects that might include attendence at that sort of thing (or demographic information that make you eligible in the first place e.g. family/school educational background) in their additional shortlisting criteria, additional demonstration of commitment to & enthusiasm in your subject etc.
    Obviously not everyone can go on a summer school so impressing a certain tutor perhaps didn't ought to make a difference - but people are human... I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to make an awesome impression & you can't stop someone from remembering you. (But not every tutor from every college in a subject is involved, different people do intervieiwng from time to time & they're often panel interviews so it's unlikely to be the be-all-and-end all.)

2. I don't know. It seems reasonable but the organizers are the only people who can answer - email them & ask?

3. I didn't go on them but spent 2 summers working on them & my husband (sorry - gratuitous use ) worked on a commercial one for a summer... the feedback invariably seemed to be very very positive.

4. For the university/charity ones - yes, unfortunately people do get rejected.
    Statistically for my subject (medicine) in the years I worked the summer school was more oversubscribed than the degree!
    But - the selection criteria are different - I'm sure there would have been people who didn't get onto the summer school but did the degree if they weren't disheratened & still applied.

Hope that helps.

Hey!

Thank you very much all that information that has been very useful

I mean the UNIQ summer schools, they are free and held AT the Oxford university for people who go to state school colleges, so yes the charity ones

I decided to take a gap year because I rushed my UCAS form a lot this year and didn't even get interviews, but on your UCAS form there is an entire section of the form in which you can put down summer schools you have attended! So it may be useful for other universities too. Yes that is true, and I managed to find a a bit more information on it, apparently they go through the admissions process in a lot of detail.

I emailed an email address that I found on the same page as the Oxford summer school, and hopefully they will reply saying yes

Ah thats cool you worked on them! And for medicine as well, thats a very competitiive course

Ahh yes after you said that I found out that for my english one, only 10% of the summer school applicants were successful, so there were a LOT of applicants!

Thank you so much for you help Its great to know some more information about it all, and i'm trying to think about it as early as possible, so I can start working on my application for it!!!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I went on the Sutton Trust summer school when I was in Year 12, which was the precedessor of the UNIQ ones, so I imagine my answers might be relevant to an extent.

1. Not directly, no. That wouldn't really be fair, would it? As Elle has said, it might help you in other ways, like being familiar with the buildings and knowing what the person on the other side of the door looks like before your interview begins.

In my own case, it meant I was given an extra interview (I gather this was a Music-specific policy and things might have changed anyway) and that I'd seen two of my three interviewers beforehand. Certainly on my summer school, there was very little scope for being able to impress a tutor, aside from maybe our performance masterclass. My college tutor did remember me and got déjà-vu in the interview but that was because he'd seen me at the college, faculty and Sutton Trust. So he'd seen me three times before the interview. I think he liked the fact I was clearly enthusiastic and had bothered to look up the course content.

2. Not sure. You'd have to ask.

3. It was great fun. It made me realise that it was a department that would suit me pretty well, in terms of it being a stimulating academic environment. We didn't have anything like a tutorial but that kinda small-group contact was very appealing and I realised that was something I really wanted from my uni experience. As I said, it meant I was familiar with the buildings and some of the tutors beforehand, which was nice.

4. Hard to judge really. I gather it's pretty competitive and these things only get more competitive over the years. My application was received after the deadline but I still somehow got onto it. I imagine there's less demand for Music than English and I do tick a lot of the boxes, so I dunno... :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Ahh cheers guys for all the info! I emailed them however, and the age doesn't matter, its the fact that I am in my second year of college, so I can't go on it I can still apply to Oxford though as a gap year student! and am looking to find any other kind of summer school for English that I can go on!

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to apply to UNIQ but I'm not sure about the personal statement. It has to be 2000 characters and the website mentions that we shouldn't use up space talking about additional hobbies, so should I leave them out altogether because they're not really relevant to my course (English)? Do I have to send off examples of written work, too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    I don't think there's any point in putting them in, no, unless they're subject relevant or really awesome, since they only really care about ability and enthusiasm for the subject at hand (certainly, I didn't include anything about them in mine and got a place). And I'm pretty sure written work isn't necessary
    Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.