The Student Room Group

Terrible Reference

Bit of a rant, my reference is one of the worst teachers in the school, he's a nice guy, but so lazy, he doesn't even know our course and just talks about sex and other random stuff basically a teenager's brain in a semi senile elderly man. And he's my reference I've seen the references he wrote for other students and they're a mess of incoherent badly wrote sentences. The thing is I've asked to change my reference but reminded they do this for free and no teacher will take on more work and non I can't ask someone else to do it, such as a neighbour.

So now that I am screwed, just how much does the university take account of the reference?
Reply 1
hmm, hopefully they will just dismiss it as what it is - teacher ignorance/laziness. i had a really stupid teacher last year who made a lot of very simple spelling errors and grammar mistakes scattered throughout mine but my form tutor changed it for me before it was sent off. maybe you could ask yours to do the same?
what course are you applying for and where? that could affect how much they are likely to take this into account and do you have other references?
Reply 2
Original post by ben788
Bit of a rant, my reference is one of the worst teachers in the school, he's a nice guy, but so lazy, he doesn't even know our course and just talks about sex and other random stuff basically a teenager's brain in a semi senile elderly man. And he's my reference I've seen the references he wrote for other students and they're a mess of incoherent badly wrote sentences. The thing is I've asked to change my reference but reminded they do this for free and no teacher will take on more work and non I can't ask someone else to do it, such as a neighbour.

So now that I am screwed, just how much does the university take account of the reference?

just out of interest, what college do you go to?
Because this sounds EXACTLY like the guy who wrote my reference!
Reply 3
I think a-lot of schools may be the same which sucks so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending