The Student Room Group

Anyone applying for Archaeology in 2011?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pink_butterfly
Thanks lol. I've applied to Unis of Bristol, Birmingham, Worcester and Reading. I am desperate to go to Bristol though. It doesn't help that I have zero patience!

Where have you applied too?

Chester, Durham, Liverpool, Sheffield and York so all northern for me- only heard from Chester and Liverpool at the moment. I'd be so much calmer without track, if it was all done by post i'd be slightly saner as i'd only be able to check once a day!
Original post by Whisky Chaser
Chester, Durham, Liverpool, Sheffield and York so all northern for me- only heard from Chester and Liverpool at the moment. I'd be so much calmer without track, if it was all done by post i'd be slightly saner as i'd only be able to check once a day!

I know exactly what you mean, I have the ucas app on my iphone which means i can obsessively check track anytime of the day or night!
Whiskychaser - i've just noticed you're a mature student doing an access course. Me too :smile:
Reply 43
Hello everyone, just found this thread :-)

Well I am applying to study BA archaeology at Reading, Nottingham, Southampton and Birmingham. Plus archaeology and heritage at Worcester.

I sent my application off on 26/11/2010 and so far I have been invited for an interview at Southampton which is in March and just today I got a conditional offer from The University of Reading YAY! (I am ecstatic) :-)
Original post by Pink_butterfly
Whiskychaser - i've just noticed you're a mature student doing an access course. Me too :smile:

how are you finding it so far? Mine had been a slow start but all of a sudden the assignments are starting to build up. It's good to know there's another mature student wanting to study archeology :smile: the majority of my course are hoping for social work or midwifery so look at me like i'm bonkers!
Original post by Maigre

Well I am applying to study BA archaeology at Reading, Nottingham, Southampton and Birmingham. Plus archaeology and heritage at Worcester.

I sent my application off on 26/11/2010 and so far I have been invited for an interview at Southampton which is in March and just today I got a conditional offer from The University of Reading YAY! (I am ecstatic) :-)

Congrats on your offer, i bet you're suited :smile:

I'm quite happy Tracks going offline this weekend, i just might be able to have a life instead of hovering around my laptop lol
Reply 46
Original post by Maigre

I've got an offer for the one at Worcester as a joint degree with ecology. Have you applied to do it as a single honour or joint?
Reply 47
Congrats on your offer, i bet you're suited :smile:

I'm quite happy Tracks going offline this weekend, i just might be able to have a life instead of hovering around my laptop lol

Yeah, knowing me though I will probably just end up going to the uni websites all the time lol
Well I suppose at least I have one offer now so I do not have to worry so much... YAY! :-) I love that.

Original post by Tabers
I've got an offer for the one at Worcester as a joint degree with ecology. Have you applied to do it as a single honour or joint?

Congrats on the offer!
I am just applying for the single honour degree, I probably won't be going there though anyway it is not my first choice.
Original post by ash816
Ok, one last question :P Do you think having work experience in archaeology is necessary/important in the first year of the course?
Thanks for all your answers. :smile:

Not at all. It might be useful for you to get a flavour of it, but not essential at all. I'm friends with someone who has a LOT of archaeology experience, she's done digs and excavations pretty much every summer, but we're probably averaging the same kind of grades so far.
how are you finding it so far? Mine had been a slow start but all of a sudden the assignments are starting to build up. It's good to know there's another mature student wanting to study archeology :smile: the majority of my course are hoping for social work or midwifery so look at me like i'm bonkers!

Yes, its the same as mine. Everyone is doing nursing/social work/teaching so I do feel like the odd one out sometimes! I'm loving it so far though, the people are amazing and the work hasn't been too bad. I just can't wait to get to Uni and study one subject that I love (thats if I get any offers of course).
I've had offers from Durham, Sheffield, Bristol and Nottingham now...sent my questionnaire back to UCL last Thursday, waiting to see what happens now, I'm so nervous :s If I get a rejection I know I tried my hardest, what with all the experience, reading, school grades etc, which is kind of a comfort. Still, UCL is what I've dreamed about and I'll be heartbroken if they don't think I'm up to it.

Ay deah!
Original post by KatieRhiannon
I've had offers from Durham, Sheffield, Bristol and Nottingham now...sent my questionnaire back to UCL last Thursday, waiting to see what happens now, I'm so nervous :s If I get a rejection I know I tried my hardest, what with all the experience, reading, school grades etc, which is kind of a comfort. Still, UCL is what I've dreamed about and I'll be heartbroken if they don't think I'm up to it.

Ay deah!

When did you get your Bristol offer???? I'm so jealous of you :frown: I am starting to get seriously worried now!

Congratulations by the way! I seriously would not worry about UCL. You are obviously an exceptional candidate, they would be fools to turn you away!
(edited 13 years ago)
Awh :,)

I got my offer for Bristol about a week and a bit ago, I wouldn't worry about it, it maybe depends when you applied :smile:

I got an invitation to UCL for interview today, so not all is lost afterall!
Reply 53
I got an interview for UCL as well for archaeology! I'm dead nervous because its my favourite, is yours on the 19th January too?
Reply 54
I know that'll it'll be too late to put on your UCAS forms, however it will give experience. If you are over 18 the National Trust has some archaeological working holidays this year. They look really good and for a week its not too expensive. I was thinking of going on one however I've decided to go on a conservation one instead. I just thought I'd tell you as it might interest you. There's one which you get to learn and use geophysics on which looks good.
Reply 55
I've applied to York, Sheffield, Birmingham, Manchester and Reading - not heard anything back yet.

Did you all have to wait long for replies?
Reply 56
Hey everyone,
I've got an interview for Archaeology BA for UCL in Jan and just asking about poss advice for it?
I've never studied arch before so I've done some reading, books, magazine, National Geographic etc but I haven't been able to go on any arch digs which I'm kinda worried about. I also joined a local arch group but they've been pretty useless with communication and providing me with info and my subscription with them has ended, so I'm pretty worried that the fact that nothing has really happened with them may look bad.
So any advice for someone who is determined to get into UCL? Eek!!
Original post by Alexara
I've applied to York, Sheffield, Birmingham, Manchester and Reading - not heard anything back yet.

Did you all have to wait long for replies?

When did you send yours off? I sent off in November and got replies within about 3 weeks but I think I just got in the bracket for early replies and things! My boyfriend's applied for the same thing and sent his off a few weeks later and hasn't had anything yet.

Original post by aimeecw
Hey everyone,
I've got an interview for Archaeology BA for UCL in Jan and just asking about poss advice for it?
I've never studied arch before so I've done some reading, books, magazine, National Geographic etc but I haven't been able to go on any arch digs which I'm kinda worried about. I also joined a local arch group but they've been pretty useless with communication and providing me with info and my subscription with them has ended, so I'm pretty worried that the fact that nothing has really happened with them may look bad.

Well your questionnaire must have been good enough so they must think you have potential :smile: the word from UCL itself is that it's just about why archaeology and is the uni for you. SO if you're enthusiastic about archaeology and about UCL then you should have answers to both those questions! :p:
Reply 58
Original post by aimeecw
Hey everyone,

As I said in a few posts above the National Trust has some archaeological working holidays but you do have to be 18 or over. Maybe if you book to go on one of them and say so they will be able to see that you will be doing some practical work. Have you got in touch with your local council. They might be able to help you or local museums where they have a finds liaison officer so will have a lot to do with local archaeology. The fact that you have an interview there shows that they must have some interest in you regardless of the fact that you haven't got any practical experience. Just let your interest shine through!
I'm applying with predicted grades of BCC - what are the chances of me getting an offer..???

Quick Reply

Latest