Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey.

I've been debating this for some time and although I ended up applying for Exeter, I can still substitute the choice until Monday.

So.. Exeter or Manchester for English literature?

I love the idea of being in a city, both courses sound good, but I have been convinced that Exeter's English department is stronger as it ranks a loot higher than Manchester in the league tables. And I could be fairly happy in Exeter.

Can anyone tell me what the english departments are like?

And which do you think is easier to get into? Bear in mind, I am predicted AABB. For AS, I got AABC.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know anything much about Exeter's English course, but I would much prefer to live in Manchester than in Exeter. Manchester is an amazing city.

I'm doing English Lit at Manchester in my second year and I think the course is brilliant, really cutting edge research going on and a big range of literature to study. Manchester wasn't my first choice- I didn't get into Bristol or Edinburgh which are higher ranked, but I chose it over York which is also higher ranked and I never ever feel disappointed, or like I'm at a lower class/less academic uni- if anything I feel slightly smug that I'm going to a uni with such a brilliant English course.

I wouldn't pay much attention to league tables when it comes to Manchester- Manchester notoriously always comes in low, a big reason being that it always ranks low in student satisfaction- we like to moan a lot.

ReputationRep:
    Aha, but why do you guys like to complain a lot?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeProfundis)
    Aha, but why do you guys like to complain a lot?
    Well, we're a very political group of students, you get some very passionate campaigners, etc, and imo these kinds of people are more likely to complain a lot than more apathetic student groups. But then again, there might be very valid reasons for complaints, I don't know. I haven't had any problems with the uni.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missygeorgia)
    I don't know anything much about Exeter's English course, but I would much prefer to live in Manchester than in Exeter. Manchester is an amazing city.

I'm doing English Lit at Manchester in my second year and I think the course is brilliant, really cutting edge research going on and a big range of literature to study. Manchester wasn't my first choice- I didn't get into Bristol or Edinburgh which are higher ranked, but I chose it over York which is also higher ranked and I never ever feel disappointed, or like I'm at a lower class/less academic uni- if anything I feel slightly smug that I'm going to a uni with such a brilliant English course.

I wouldn't pay much attention to league tables when it comes to Manchester- Manchester notoriously always comes in low, a big reason being that it always ranks low in student satisfaction- we like to moan a lot.
    I'd like to think that the students across the board (surely those who go Exeter and Manchester) hold similar expectations, so saying 'we just like to moan' doesn't cut, it means that Manchester does things wrong. However I'd visit each and decide.

ReputationRep:
    I know nothing about English or the unis you've chosen but I do know that you should go with where you would prefer to spend 3 years of your life living and studying. I was told at one uni open day to go with my heart rather than my head!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    I'd like to think that the students across the board (surely those who go Exeter and Manchester) hold similar expectations, so saying 'we just like to moan' doesn't cut, it means that Manchester does things wrong. However I'd visit each and decide.
    Dyou think? I think the dynamics of the student populations change a lot from university to university, and I would judge that the student population of manchester is very different to the population of Exeter.

and anyway, personally if I was looking at a league table, student satisfaction would be pretty low on my criteria for judging a uni- I would have thought that would be the same for others too.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missygeorgia)
    Dyou think? I think the dynamics of the student populations change a lot from university to university, and I would judge that the student population of manchester is very different to the population of Exeter.

and anyway, personally if I was looking at a league table, student satisfaction would be pretty low on my criteria for judging a uni- I would have thought that would be the same for others too.
    It's unrealistic to believe that the expectations of a good student experience differ especially when they are initially taken from the same pool of students. Though this is a general view and would be unreliable if the score was close however since they are not, it's wise to assume on average Exeter satisfies students more than Manchester.

Despite going on about expectation, the OP should realise that your student experience will depend on you and really statistics are not important to the individual. Like you said, forget league tables and visit them.

ReputationRep:
    I realised that Sunday is actually the 14th day from 22nd November, counting the 22nd.

However, UCAS wouldn't let me substitute the choice today due to the status of my application? And I'm was steering towards Manchester, darn it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.