Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    a) Find all possible values of sin C for which cos C = 1/2.
    b) Find the values of D for which -180 degrees <D< 180 degrees and tan D = 5 sin D.

Right so for part a), I did cos-1 (1/2) = 60, and then sin 60 = root 3 / 2. I am told that this is one of the answers, and the other is meant to be - root 3 / 2, how do I get this?

I don't know how to approach part b), so any help on both would be really appreciated thanks!

ReputationRep:
    for c2 you only learn 2 things:

cos^2 x + sin^2 x =1

tanx=(sinx)/(cosx)

sin is postive for angles between 0 and 180 and negative 180< to 360, cos is positive for angles 0 to 90 and 270 to 360 negative 90-270

use these in a) and b) in a way you think helps you the most.......

ReputationRep:
    you get - \frac{\sqrt3}{2} by looking at your graph of y=cosx and figuring out that there is another value C for which cosC=\frac{1}{2}
    I'm assuming somewhere in the question it says -180\le C \le 180

for b, I'd try to find a value D for which both sind and tand = 0. because then 5sind and tand will = 0.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathz)

cos^2 x + sin^2 x =1

tanx=(sinx)/(cosx)

sin is postive for angles between 0 and 180 and negative 180< to 360, cos is positive for angles 0 to 90 and 270 to 360 negative 90-270

So for a), to get the other answer you would do 360 - 60 = 300, and then do sin 300 = - root 3/2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adil12)
    a) Find all possible values of sin C for which cos C = 1/2.
    b) Find the values of D for which -180 degrees <D< 180 degrees and tan D = 5 sin D.

Right so for part a), I did cos-1 (1/2) = 60, and then sin 60 = root 3 / 2. I am told that this is one of the answers, and the other is meant to be - root 3 / 2, how do I get this?

I don't know how to approach part b), so any help on both would be really appreciated thanks!
    awwwwwwwww, its been about 7 months since i didnt do any maths, i miss it lol

the first part is this:
    cos^2 C + sin^2 C = 1
    cos ^2 C = 1/4
    sin^2 C = 1 - 1/4 = 3/4
    sin C = root(3) / 2 = pi / 3 (Im not sure, double check on calculator)
    and then depending on the range, there are certain other answers, i think you can do it from here.

second part:
    tan D = 5sin D
    sin D / cos D = 5 sin D
    sinD / sind D = 5 cos D
    cos D = 1/5
    and calculate this on your calculator
    i hope this helps)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vahik92)
    awwwwwwwww, its been about 7 months since i didnt do any maths, i miss it lol

the first part is this:
    cos^2 C + sin^2 C = 1
    cos ^2 C = 1/4
    sin^2 C = 1 - 1/4 = 3/4
    sin C = root(3) / 2 = pi / 3 (Im not sure, double check on calculator)
    and then depending on the range, there are certain other answers, i think you can do it from here.

second part:
    tan D = 5sin D
    sin D / cos D = 5 sin D
    sinD / sind D = 5 cos D
    cos D = 1/5
    and calculate this on your calculator
    i hope this helps)
    I see Thanks for the help For the second part, once you get cos D = 1/5, you calculate D to be 78.46 degrees, but the answers at the back say that you should get 78.46 (which I have got), -78.46 and 0. Any idea how to get the other 2 answers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    you get - \frac{\sqrt3}{2} by looking at your graph of y=cosx and figuring out that there is another value C for which cosC=\frac{1}{2}
    I'm assuming somewhere in the question it says -180\le C \le 180

for b, I'd try to find a value D for which both sind and tand = 0. because then 5sind and tand will = 0.
    I am asking how to do it without a graph And nope, in the question it just says "all possible values". And oh right you are right there

ReputationRep:
    I am asking how to do it without a graph And nope, in the question it just says "all possible values". And oh right you are right there
    oh no, actually what am I thinking, C doesn't need confining :rolleyes:
    I apologise.

and really, you should just be able to sketch out a graph of y=cosx. though you needn't actually use it for that question, you should just know that cos60=0.5 and that cos(-60)= 0.5

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    oh no, actually what am I thinking, C doesn't need confining :rolleyes:
    I apologise.

and really, you should just be able to sketch out a graph of y=cosx. though you needn't actually use it for that question, you should just know that cos60=0.5 and that cos(-60)= 0.5
    Oh right I see So for the final value you would do 360 - 60 = 300, and then sin 300 = - root 3/2 ?

ReputationRep:
    I see Thanks for the help For the second part, once you get cos D = 1/5, you calculate D to be 78.46 degrees, but the answers at the back say that you should get 78.46 (which I have got), -78.46 and 0. Any idea how to get the other 2 answers?
    erm, i know how to get -78.46 , cos X = cos (-X) for any value of X, i.e. cos 78.46 = cos (-78.46).
    but for 0, i dont know ( for 0, cos X = 1, which we didnt get, we got cos X = 1/5.. sorry :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vahik92)
    erm, i know how to get -78.46 , cos X = cos (-X) for any value of X, i.e. cos 78.46 = cos (-78.46).
    but for 0, i dont know ( for 0, cos X = 1, which we didnt get, we got cos X = 1/5.. sorry :confused:
    Oh right so is cos X = cos (-X) a general rule which only applies for cos?

ReputationRep:
    Oh right so is cos X = cos (-X) a general rule which only applies for cos?
    yep, cos x = cos -x for all the values of x. these are all basic things which you should really know for C2 and you will have to use for C3 and C4,, make sure u learn these formulaes as there are quite a lot of them, without them you wont be able to get good grades .. just an advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathz)

cos^2 x + sin^2 x =1

tanx=(sinx)/(cosx)

This Get used to the basics of trig now..it gets harder at A2..once youve got these basics (ie learning how to solve sinx = a, cosx = a, tanx = a (ie sin-1(a) = x, then using a cast diagram) will help a lot..also learn to use sin^2(x)+cos^2(x) = 1 and (sinx)(cosx) = tanx will help you a lot..and once you learn these it isnt that bad, honest!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.