Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have a pharmacy interview for Cardiff University next week. This is my first pharmacy interview and I have no idea what to expect. What type of questions will there be? If anyone has been through a pharmacy interview for Cardiff, can you pleasssse help me out a bit by telling me what questions you got asked. Do they ask much about the administration of drugs? Is there many Chemistry questions? Do you need to know loadsss about the course? Or, is it the sort of interview where they are more interested in me, like my personal statement and hobbies and stuff? Pleasse help, would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I had my interview last year for pharmacy and I don't want to worry you but it wasn't the easiest!
    I got asked absolutly nothing on my personal statement. There were the typical generic questions - why cardiff, why pharmacy, what role does a pharmacist have in a hospital etc...
    On the chemistry side of things there wasn't that much, "why is carbon so important in medicine" is the only one that rings to mind. However I spoke to a girl at the station afterwards who had apparently been absolutly grilled on Benzene rings. Biology was big though - talked about ways of taking medicines other than in tablet form and the properties the various types would have to have i.e. a cream would have to be fat soluble to get through the skin, erm talked about the doses so why you'd give OAPS lower doses and how & where a drug is broken down in the body (liver!).
    I came out thinking it was horrific and I'd blown it but with hindsight that's probably the best feeling to have - the interviewer wants to see how much you know - they expect you to reach a brick wall at some point so don't be afraid to ask!
    Knowing about the course might help you're "why do you want to study pharmacy at Cardiff" answer. I think they did ask for the difference between pharmacy and pharmacology.

Hope that helps! Good luck

ReputationRep:
    hey i have a cardiff pharmacy interview coming up soon, any idea on what maths questions they ask you?
    and what topic did you talk about for pharmacy in the news and how much depth did you go into for it?
    please help!

ReputationRep:
    didn't get asked anything on Maths last year.
    In the news.. talked a bit about Thalidomide, the swine flu cases - when children were being given adult doses because they hadn't scaled the doses for children. I don't recall talking about "Pharmacy in the news" as such, however i'd reccomend trawling the past few weeks in the BBC's health section or on New Scientist or something just so you can have a well rounded argument if needed. Medicine in the news is also subject to a lot of mis-fed information and scruiteny so be aware of this - when they say "20 people died because of new drug" tabloids tend to miss out that the drug might have saved over 20000. Does that make sense? You'll be fine - you can't be expected to know everything and if you get picked on for not knowing something in the news last week argue you were revising for January exams or something! ;-)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.