Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Write out the 3x3 matrix that would be used to translate a point in the x-y plane by a distance a in the x direction and b in the y direction. Show this matrix is correct by applying it to an arbitrary point represented by the vector [x y 1].
    x direction = a, y direction = b.

Whats my starting 3x3 matrix? What do I need to prove the matrix is correct? Multiply the 3x3 matrix by [x y 1] ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spikeymike)
    x direction = a, y direction = b.

Whats my starting 3x3 matrix? What do I need to prove the matrix is correct? Multiply the 3x3 matrix by [x y 1] ?
    \begin{pmatrix} x_1 & x_2 & x_3 \\x_4 & x_5 & x_6 \\x_7 & x_8 & x_9 \end{pmatrix} \times  \begin{pmatrix} x \\y \\1 \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} x+a \\y+b \\1 \end{pmatrix}

L.H.S. = \begin{pmatrix} xx_1 + yx_2 + x_3 \\xx_4 + yx_5 + x_6 \\xx_7 + yx_8  +x_9 \end{pmatrix}

I think that's correct. I couldn't help but try helping despite being a bit crap with matrices
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    \begin{pmatrix} x_1 & x_2 & x_3 \\x_4 & x_5 & x_6 \\x_7 & x_8 & x_9 \end{pmatrix} \times  \begin{pmatrix} x \\y \\1 \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} x+a \\y+b \\1 \end{pmatrix}

L.H.S. = \begin{pmatrix} xx_1 + yx_2 + x_3 \\xx_4 + yx_5 + x_6 \\xx_7 + yx_8  +x_9 \end{pmatrix}

I think that's correct. I couldn't help but try helping despite being a bit crap with matrices
    Thanks for trying.

I'll wait to see if anyone can confirm it. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, that's correct. (You still need to find what x_1, ..., x_9 need to be, of course).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    Yes, that's correct. (You still need to find what x_1, ..., x_9 need to be, of course).
    Of course

Thanks for trying.

I'll wait to see if anyone can confirm it. :holmes:
    Should be relatively straightforward from there, just compare x, y and constant coefficients essentially.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:

Ok so how does this:

prove that the "matrix is correct by applying it to an arbitrary point represented by the vector [x y 1]." ? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Ok so how does this:

prove that the "matrix is correct by applying it to an arbitrary point represented by the vector [x y 1]." ? :holmes:
    Well to me the question insinuates that you should already know the 3x3 matrix and you need to use it on [x, y, 1] to show that is does indeed produce [x+a, x+b, 1]. I've just reverse engineered the question and used those two sets of points to work out what the matrix should be. Since it seemed like you were trying to work out the matrix. I suppose once you've derived the matrix using those points, you'll have also shown that it's true since you've applied it to [x,y,1] at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    Well, have you actually answered part (a) yet?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    Well, have you actually answered part (a) yet?
    I thought post #2 was the answer? :ashamed2:

ReputationRep:
    I thought post #2 was the answer? :ashamed2:
    No, you need to find the values of x_1, x_2, ..., x_9

Just look at variable/constant coefficients.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    No, you need to find the values of x_1, x_2, ..., x_9

Just look at variable/constant coefficients.
    They're all 1? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Ok so how does this:

\begin{pmatrix} xx_1 + yx_2 + x_3 \\xx_4 + yx_5 + x_6 \\xx_7 + yx_8  +x_9 \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} x+a \\y+b \\1 \end{pmatrix}

So

xx_1 + yx_2 + x_3 = x + a

There's no y variable on the RHS, so there can't be on the left, what does this tell you x_2 must be?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    \begin{pmatrix} xx_1 + yx_2 + x_3 \\xx_4 + yx_5 + x_6 \\xx_7 + yx_8  +x_9 \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} x+a \\y+b \\1 \end{pmatrix}

So

xx_1 + yx_2 + x_3 = x + a

There's no y variable on the RHS, so there can't be on the left, what does this tell you x_2 must be?
    0?

ReputationRep:
    0?
    Yep

Following the same logic, you should be able to see what x_1, x_3 are equal to. Then follow the rule for the next row, and the last row.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noble.)
    yep :d

following the same logic, you should be able to see what x_1, x_3 are equal to. Then follow the rule for the next row, and the last row.
    (1, 0, 0)
    (0, 1, 0)
    (0, 0, 1)

:holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Not quite.

ReputationRep:
    (1, 0, 0)
    (0, 1, 0)
    (0, 0, 1)

You've already worked out x_2 = 0

xx_1 + y \times 0 + x_3 = x + a
    xx_1 + x_3 = x + a

I'll give you a clue, both x_3 and a are constants.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    You've already worked out x_2 = 0

xx_1 + y \times 0 + x_3 = x + a
    xx_1 + x_3 = x + a

I'll give you a clue, both x_3 and a are constants.
    (1, 0, a)
    (0, 1, b)
    (0, 0, 1)

:gthumb:

ReputationRep:
    (1, 0, a)
    (0, 1, b)
    (0, 0, 1)

:gthumb:
    Yep
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    So the final answer for part a is:

=>\begin{pmatrix} xx_1 + yx_2 + x_3 \\xx_4 + yx_5 + x_6 \\xx_7 + yx_8  +x_9 \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} x+a \\y+b \\1 \end{pmatrix}

=\begin{pmatrix} 1, 0, a \\0, 1, b \\0, 0, 1 \end{pmatrix}

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.