Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    my lecturer said if you heat water to 110oC it turns into carbon and nitrogen, then heat it up some more and it turns into salt ions... I'm pretty sure this is chemically impossible

My friend asked her what she meant and she said look it up in a textbook and I am yet to find another lecturer who knows what she means

Does anyone know what she's on about??? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately i have no idea what your lecturer is on about!! Water, being made from hydrogen and oxygen only, chemically cannot form nitrogen without some form of addition mechanism.

ReputationRep:
    When you boil the water certain salts may fall out of solution and form a later on a material. Water at 110oC will not break down into hydrogen and oxygen. What does this lecturer teacher? It is pretty poor understanding of chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    It's probably more likely that you misunderstood what was being said or you're a little confused. This is further evidenced by the fact that you posted an obvious Chemistry question in the Biology forums.

Otherwise, your lecturer is insane.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.