Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi, I'll be standing at the doctors waiting for it to open first thing in the morning, but if there's any advice now that will be great seeing as the NHS Direct waiting time is 'over four hours'

To quickly explain, since Sunday I've had a standard, if pretty rotten cold, very very runny nose, bit of a chesty cough, nothing too bad. However, after getting home this evening, I went for a no.2 and after wiping it somewhat scared me to see that there was some blood on the paper along with the normal stuff.

It only occurred to me recently that a couple of days ago I had some pretty horrible stabbing pains inside my lower stomach area, but they passed by very quickly, and really didn't strike me as anything serious, however, now I'm worried.

Should I be scared? Cos frankly right now google results are scaring me massively. I'm a 20yr old male student if that helps.
    :dong:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Never google conditions.. You'll only make yourself paranoid, and chances are it's probably something minor.
    Good idea to go to the doctors first thing tomorrow.. even if you seem fine, no harm in making sure.

To hazard a guess at why there might be blood.. can be loads of reasons for it, though I think I'll go for trauma.. This 'no.2', did it pass easily? Or was it difficult?

It seemed normal, I mean I didn't notice any obvious distress. The only reason it really worries me, is that the cold/flu I've had the last few days is the worst I've had in several years.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Hmm I guess
    But that alone doesn't really mean anything.. If colds/flus can be worse than one another, then one has to be the worst :rolleyes:
    How are you feeling atm?
    Anymore abdominal pain?
    Btw what gender are you?

erm, right now I'm feeling alright, much better than I have all week, there is some discomfort, but I'd describe it as mild discomfort, and I suspect it's as much psychological pain than physical now, after worrying myself.

Male.

Thanks btw.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    It probably is due to psychological factors.. or worsened by it rather.. that's why googling stuff like this really doesn't help.
    Since you're male I'd recommend getting checked tomorrow just in case.. But tbh it'd be worth getting checked regardless since it'll put your mind at ease.
    So yeah, maybe get some sleep, get checked, and then if you don't mind I'd like to hear what your doctor recommends in terms of treatment etc.
    And I don't mind, it's not a complete lie when I say I want to study medicine in order to help people

Thankyou, it may sound silly to say it since you're only another person at the end of the keyboard, but you have helped relax me somewhat.

ReputationRep:
    I dont think you should be scared, but i think you're sensible in going to see the GP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi, I'll be standing at the doctors waiting for it to open first thing in the morning, but if there's any advice now that will be great seeing as the NHS Direct waiting time is 'over four hours'

To quickly explain, since Sunday I've had a standard, if pretty rotten cold, very very runny nose, bit of a chesty cough, nothing too bad. However, after getting home this evening, I went for a no.2 and after wiping it somewhat scared me to see that there was some blood on the paper along with the normal stuff.

It only occurred to me recently that a couple of days ago I had some pretty horrible stabbing pains inside my lower stomach area, but they passed by very quickly, and really didn't strike me as anything serious, however, now I'm worried.

Should I be scared? Cos frankly right now google results are scaring me massively. I'm a 20yr old male student if that helps.
    :dong:
    The fact that you are 20 and that its happened once makes anything sinister extremely unlikely. It's not unusual to pass blood as a one off! You are doing the right thing getting it checked, as you are obviously worried. If it turns out to have a cause (often in cases like yours they don't) it could be a number of relatively benign things..Fissure, haemorrhoid, you can pass blood with IBS too (might explain your stomach pain).

Your GP might take some bloods to look for inflammatory markers (crp ESR) to rule out inflammatory bowel disease, but again this is probably o.t.t for a one off occurance of bleeding.

there are lots of doctors who post on here who would be able to guide you a lot better than I could, but I've been through a similar thing to you so I know how you feel. Everyone who goes to the GP thinks that 'they have cancer until proven otherwise' it's natural to think the worst

Dont worry and let me know how it goes!!

Hi, went to the nurse today, and she checked me over, stopping one step short of very scary! If you know what I mean.

But she thinks it should be ok, but she wants me to go have a full examination with the actual doctor on Monday to be sure, since there was no real reason she could come up with for it happening.

ReputationRep:
    It could be a tear, or piles

ReputationRep:
    And I thought that this was going to be a hilarious rant about chairs.

ReputationRep:
    Highly highly unlikely to be anything sinister. Google anything and you will be on deaths door.

Saying that get checked out asap. Just in case and to put your mind at ease.

ReputationRep:
    If it's a bright red blood you generally don't have too much to worry about. (According to my sisters doctor)
    Could just be a tear, or possibly an ulcer?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 5, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.