Will there be a rush for uni places due to tuition fees Watch

This discussion is closed.
edufly
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
With tuition fees being introduced in 2006, wont there be a massive rush for everyone to go to university from 2004.

I would presume many people will not be taking planned gap years so competition for places (starting 2004) will be more competitive and it maybe that uni's will be stricter on their grades.

Although we will have to pay the new fees in 2006 (our 3rd years)!!!
Xenon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by eddiedaboss)
With tuition fees being introduced in 2006, wont there be a massive rush for everyone to go to university from 2004.

I would presume many people will not be taking planned gap years so competition for places (starting 2004) will be more competitive and it maybe that uni's will be stricter on their grades.

Although we will have to pay the new fees in 2006 (our 3rd years)!!!
Oh no, in 2006? I though they'd come in in 4 years, after my 4-year course is finished. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!! !!!! :mad:
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
1) Yes, apparently its 65,000 more people that year.

2) I thought it was only applicable for that year group i.e. if you get in in 2005, you don't pay for the term of your stay in uni.
meepmeep
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I found an article from a paper about this a couple of weeks ago or so. The thread that it was on:

http://www.uk-learning.net/showthread.php?t=20142
Andrew_S
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
1) Yes, apparently its 65,000 more people that year.

2) I thought it was only applicable for that year group i.e. if you get in in 2005, you don't pay for the term of your stay in uni.
Number 2 is correct

I wrote an article on top up fees for my school website - http://www.saintolaves.net
Xenon
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
That's what I thought and was hoping. I assumed that I wouldn't be in the position where I had to pay tuition fees.
Xenon
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by meepmeep)
If you get into uni before 2006, you won't have to pay the top-up fees. It's only those starting on or after 2006 who have to pay them.
Phew. I'm glad of that! Just had to make sure.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
well my year, yr 12, will have a choice of a gap year and tution fees or really competitive entrance. Not fair
edufly
Rep:
?
If you get into uni before 2006, you won't have to pay the top-up fees. It's only those starting on or after 2006 who have to pay them.

Are you sure about this, so if we are in our last year at uni when fees are introduced we'll still get to pay the same rate as before (around 1150)
Xenon
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Are you sure about this, so if we are in our last year at uni when fees are introduced we'll still get to pay the same rate as before (around 1150)
I'll have 2 years left after they're introduced.
meepmeep
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Absolutely positive.
edufly
Rep:
?
Absolutely positive.

Absolutely delighted
Xenon
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Absolutely positive.
Yippppeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ollie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Xenon)
Yippppeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i can stop saving beer money!
~Sam~
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
well my year, yr 12, will have a choice of a gap year and tution fees or really competitive entrance. Not fair
Ditto. And i really wanted a gap year!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ~Sam~)
Ditto. And i really wanted a gap year!
If you want a gap year then take one...the new system actually means that students will have a lot more money to live off while they're studying in exchange for repaying student loans for a bit longer (but not much longer because they get written off after 25 years...if you weren't planning to go into a job earning over £30k very soon after graduating it's unlikely you will be repaying much more at all).
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ollie)
i can stop saving beer money!
alcoholic beverages? :eek:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (2)
28.57%
Yes- I don't like it (1)
14.29%
No- I want it (3)
42.86%
No- I don't want it (1)
14.29%

Watched Threads