Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

VERY ODD PROBLEM with A levels!!! Please help!!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    It might not seem odd to everyone out there, but my friends seem to think it is...

I'm choosing my A levels and I know that I want to do History and English literature.

Then, I would like to choose two more from Chemistry, Maths, English language and RS! I would like to do Architecture, Law, History, English, Psychology, Anthropology, Theology, Philosophy, RS or something like that.

Are there any thoughts from anyone on which two of these four to take? I would enjoy them all equally. Sorry if the title is a bit misleading, but my friends are all saying it's weird that I haven't decided yet...

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Do Chemistry. It's surprisingly easy, and unlike GCSE, you'll see some of that stuff that's been explained to you happening around you. I'm doing mostly Arts subjects like you, and Chemistry is a welcome element of variety.

ReputationRep:
    Do Maths and RS. English and History are a loooot of work, whereas Maths is no so much time consuming as intellectually challenging, so if you can do it... you can just do it. It'll also add some interesting variety to your subjects, while it's often seen as positive in law applicants and very important in architecture applicants. RS is interesting and will be useful for any of those subjects and will supplement your study of English Lit. (I had a friend who was doing R.S. and she was perpetually pulling out neat tricks when we needed to use critics - which is a lot -_-'). It's also not VERY difficult to get high marks in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I Murder Carrots 4 Fun)
    Do Maths and RS. English and History are a loooot of work, whereas Maths is no so much time consuming as intellectually challenging, so if you can do it... you can just do it. It'll also add some interesting variety to your subjects, while it's often seen as positive in law applicants and very important in architecture applicants. RS is interesting and will be useful for any of those subjects and will supplement your study of English Lit. (I had a friend who was doing R.S. and she was perpetually pulling out neat tricks when we needed to use critics - which is a lot -_-'). It's also not VERY difficult to get high marks in.
    Yeah i agree you should do Maths and RS. i do both of these and enjoy them a lot, especially RS. I also do Chemistry and i quite like it but its definitley my hardest subject, harder than maths. RS is really interesting and is my favourite subject, i definitely think you should do it. However i have to disagree that its not hard to get high marks in RS. The questions are really vague so its always really hard to know what to put in your essay and even if you write a really good essay but you use the wrong exam technique you can lose so many marks. I usually do a lot better in my history essays as that's just straight facts, whereas RS essays are more about discussion and quotiong etc. At least in my experience

ReputationRep:
    I found chemistry ridiculously hard at AS level, after getting an A* at GCSE I ended up just scraping a C at AS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lazuliblue)
    I found chemistry ridiculously hard at AS level, after getting an A* at GCSE I ended up just scraping a C at AS.
    Was that because you didn't put enough time in, you didn't understand the concepts or you had a bad teacher? I'm thinking about taking it next year so...

ReputationRep:
    Some people find Chemistry very hard, others don't. It's quite a logical based subject which clicks with some and not with others.

I'd also go with Maths/RS. You don't need to do Eng Lang if you're doing Lit, Lit is more respected.

Maths will be a nice contrast, even if it's only your AS at the end of the day. You'll probably need it for architecture and I believe Psychology entrance sometimes prefers atleast a science subject.

ReputationRep:
    For an architect degree, I THINK you need to have Maths and either Art or DT a-levels. Not entirely sure though, but I'd definitely check it up.

I think English Lit., History, R.S. and Chemistry would be a nice combination, and would work for law.
    It's up to you though ultimately, but take into account your strengths and your interests

ReputationRep:
    Maths and RS would be the most suitable for your preferred degrees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliakhtar)
    Was that because you didn't put enough time in, you didn't understand the concepts or you had a bad teacher? I'm thinking about taking it next year so...

I would say a combination of bad teaching (at a grammar school the highest grade achieved at chemistry A level was a B that year!!) and the fact I simply found it difficult. Don't let me put you off having a crack at it though, I still love chemistry, but more the biochemistry side of things. You may find it easier to understand than I did.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone, this had been really useful. I think I'm going to do Maths and RS!

ReputationRep:
    RS and Chemistry

ReputationRep:
    I would choose maths definitely, not only because it's an interesting subject but also because it opens many doors career/degree wise. For your second choice i think you should go for whatever you want to do, don't look at what other people say about it being 'easy' or 'hard'; if you find it interesting you will enjoy it and that's the main thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lazuliblue)
    Haha almost the same as me! Except I'm doing Chemistry AS this year; I'm doing great in physics, f maths and maths but when it comes to chemistry I flop and just get really bored.

I hate how Physics is always typecast as really difficult when once you know the concepts it's so much easier than Chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    all uni's love maths

ReputationRep:
    maths and chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    I would say maths as well. Even just the AS will stand you in good stead and (apparently - this is a fact that our maths teachers loved to tell us, but I don't know how true it is) make you more employable.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't advise doing both English literature AND English Language unless they were combined because otherwise you've wasted two of your choices on A Levels which are more or less the same.

Either choose one or the other or do a combined course of the two if your school offers it and leave an option free for something different.

I do RS and personally find it really interesting and Maths could always come in handy.

ReputationRep:
    I would say do maths and RS. Don't bother doing English language when you're already doing lit, that's too similar and unis won't like it. Chemistry isn't that relevant to any of your degree choices whereas maths would help you with psychology and architecture, and RS would help you with the rest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Planar)
    Do Chemistry. It's surprisingly easy, and unlike GCSE, you'll see some of that stuff that's been explained to you happening around you. I'm doing mostly Arts subjects like you, and Chemistry is a welcome element of variety.
    Woah, woah, woah, woah. Wait a minute. Chemistry is easy? :eek: I'm getting a very different message from this thread. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...php?p=28770154 :confused:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.