Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm going to be picking:

1. Maths
    2. Furthermaths
    3. Physics
    4. Economics (?)
    5. Mandarin

For A-Levels, I'm in London, and I'm planning to go to a sixform. What's it like studying economics? Can an experienced person please give me some insight on what sort of work you do? a normal day routine/work in economics? Thanks =)

I'm afraid that I'll make the wrong choice like I did by choosing French as a GCSE to study =( .

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Instincts_2012)

1. Maths
    2. Furthermaths
    3. Physics
    4. Economics (?)
    5. Mandarin

For A-Levels, I'm in London, and I'm planning to go to a sixform. What's it like studying economics? Can an experienced person please give me some insight on what sort of work you do? a normal day routine/work in economics? Thanks =)

I'm afraid that I'll make the wrong choice like I did by choosing French as a GCSE to study =( .

Thanks
    Why have you chosen Physics alongside Economics? Is it because your interested in both and might do one of them in Uni?

I'm in GCSE as well but my brother is doing A2 Economics right now. He says that it isn't bad if you did it at GCSE and did well (A/A*). It can be time consuming because sometimes you need to do some independent research but it's the same for any subject in AS/A2. The workload in AS/A2 will be much larger compared to GCSE. Aim for A's and A* in all your AS/A2 units and you might even get into LSE

ReputationRep:
    For CIE A Level Economics is quite boring. Just a ****load of essays. Easy A/A* though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asdfg0987)
    For CIE A Level Economics is quite boring. Just a ****load of essays. Easy A/A* though.
    What do you do normally? - on a everyday basis?

Is it boring textbook work? or are you forced to contribute in debates and discussions?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    What do you do normally? - on a everyday basis?

Is it boring textbook work? or are you forced to contribute in debates and discussions?

Thanks
    You can contribute if you want to, though it's by no means necessary. It's all about exam technique - it's better to know you're being marked for. Then it's just 'boring textbook work'. Though you can easily get an A if you memorise student unit guides well enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldsilvy)
    You can contribute if you want to, though it's by no means necessary. It's all about exam technique - it's better to know you're being marked for. Then it's just 'boring textbook work'. Though you can easily get an A if you memorise student unit guides well enough.
    Won't they force you to contribute? E.g what if they do something like: "Ok, I'll like you 8 to form a group bla bla bla, and you 8 go over there and do bla bla bla"

You can't just refuse by saying "No, sorry, but I don't want to participate". Won't they be like "?!?!?!"?

ReputationRep:
    Won't they force you to contribute? E.g what if they do something like: "Ok, I'll like you 8 to form a group bla bla bla, and you 8 go over there and do bla bla bla"

You can't just refuse by saying "No, sorry, but I don't want to participate". Won't they be like "?!?!?!"?
    If they ask you to form a group, then you form one and do nothing. If you are paired-up with someone, then contribute as little as possible without making the other person think you are socially awkward. What I meant is that your in-class participation can be virtually zero. Well, at least in my college that's how it was. Only 3-4 people were usually discussing questions, the rest was just drawing random stuff in their notebooks, reading the textbook on their own and/or looking at the clock and counting down the time to the end of class.

ReputationRep:
    I was on OCR. Loved it. Id find it hard to give you a typical day doing it though...we just got taught it? On the board? Working our way through the syllabus really. Nothing different in teaching methods.

ReputationRep:
    The most similar subject I've done before was geography.

ReputationRep:

1. Maths
    2. Furthermaths
    3. Physics
    4. Economics (?)
    5. Mandarin

Thanks
    Hi, I study AQA economics. It's about 60-70% essay writing/short written answers and 30-40% diagrams. We are normally taught orally through discussions and diagrams on the board. We are then set activities, past questions and mulit-choice questions to attempt at home or as a test in class. These often require background reading and a good understanding of the chapter so are a good way of seeing if you really understand the content. I didn't do Economics GCSE and it's definitely not necessary to do it at GCSE though probably gives you an advantage if you have. Out of my class of 7, only one person had taken it for GCSE though. It's a really interesting subject that is really relevant at the moment as it's quite political. I only started it in September but am really enjoying it and would recommend it to anyone. You don't have to be good at maths but doing maths alongside it is fairly necessary if you want to study Economics at university. Good luck with your choices

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liviluck)
    Hi, I study AQA economics. It's about 60-70% essay writing/short written answers and 30-40% diagrams. We are normally taught orally through discussions and diagrams on the board. We are then set activities, past questions and mulit-choice questions to attempt at home or as a test in class. These often require background reading and a good understanding of the chapter so are a good way of seeing if you really understand the content. I didn't do Economics GCSE and it's definitely not necessary to do it at GCSE though probably gives you an advantage if you have. Out of my class of 7, only one person had taken it for GCSE though. It's a really interesting subject that is really relevant at the moment as it's quite political. I only started it in September but am really enjoying it and would recommend it to anyone. You don't have to be good at maths but doing maths alongside it is fairly necessary if you want to study Economics at university. Good luck with your choices
    The thing is, I have a stammer =/ not a strong one, but it is still visible. Will I have to speak a lot? will there LOADS of activities that require speaking? will there be a lot of debating? (By the way, I don't stammer when I speak mandarin though... strange world I live in)

ReputationRep:
    I love economics! I find it a very easy subject to get high marks in if you know the exam technique and have a bit of outside knowledge. We don't debate that much, though my class is fairly chatty so we have quite a lot of discussions. We're normally taught on the board for a bit, and then answer questions, have a discussion, watch videos (youtube pajholden, that guy will get you through your AS), use kerboodle (for AQA students). I like it a lot, as you can bring in knowledge of a lot of other things into your essays, and that actually gains you marks. Teachers will reccomend that you keep up with the news and it does definitely help.

ReputationRep:
    The thing is, I have a stammer =/ not a strong one, but it is still visible. Will I have to speak a lot? will there LOADS of activities that require speaking? will there be a lot of debating? (By the way, I don't stammer when I speak mandarin though... strange world I live in)
    How much you have to speak will depend on your teacher but normally joining in with major discussions about economics is pretty much voluntary and up to the individual. However, your teacher may ask for your opinion on something occasionally if you haven't spoken much, just to check you understand the content, although I think this would be the case with pretty much any subject! There are not many activities that require speaking, most of the work is written, it's just the general class discussions to improve the understanding of the subject which require talking, most of the time it will probably be your teaching speaking with the students that want to speak asking questions. Hope that helps a little!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.