Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will The Student Protests Work?... Watch

• View Poll Results: Will The Protests Work?...
    Yes...
    16.13%
    No...
    83.87%

ReputationRep:
    I dont want the tuition fees to go up that much, its too unreasonable.

However the government has a bad habbit of not listening to their people.

So, ur opinion, will the protests eventually work?...if not, then how do you suggest we make it work?...

ReputationRep:
    Its not unreasonable if you know anything about the economy and such.

Just because as students loads of people think its crap and everything, doesnt mean it us.. most of the protesters go for a day of or because friends are.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    No they are not going to work. The government has already said. Tbh rather than taking to the streets best option would be to go and talk/write letters to and give petitions to your local MP

ReputationRep:
    maybe, the wider action against the cuts will bring down the coalition though, the Lib Dems wont stomach everything that will happen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Tbh rather than taking to the streets best option would be to go and talk/write letters to and give petitions to your local MP
    lol

ReputationRep:
    it's true...everything is done by letters because if you phone up they won't do anything about it. Letters are more professional and they have time to read them.

ReputationRep:
    Of course they wont work. Protests very rarely work as there's no threat to the government. They're still in power regardless of how many people are protesting so they still make the decisions. Nearly 1 million people marched in London against the Iraq war and what happened, we went to war. Do you really think they're going to listen to us?

ReputationRep:
    I hate the Tories, I think that cutting the Higher Education budget will lead to a massive skills gap and in the end they will just blame the mess on the Labour Government. However it was the Labour Government that started the tuition rises way back.

Vince Cable really gets my back up - mostly everything he gave his word on - Student Fees quango's etc, he has now gone against that..

That being said, the protests, I believe are having a negative impact - especially when violence and rioting occur..!

ReputationRep:
    When people start killing themselves then I think David Cameron will know, he actually said before protesting face the facts what the **** does that mean?

He is so weird.
    And UgLy

ReputationRep:
    At the end of the day its a win for the tories. If the Democrats decide to abstain it will do more harm then good. But also it will take a huge backbench rebellion from the tories which i can't see happening any time soon.

ReputationRep:
    It won't work, but I still think its important to show how you feel about things like this. Just because something is inevitable, doesn't mean you should not fight it.

ReputationRep:
    It definitely will not work.

ReputationRep:
    think the reason they won't work is because the students didn't manage to bring the message across properly, they didn't manage to use the media and bring the public on their side..it could have worked but the wrong strategy was used

ReputationRep:
    A Million people marched against the Iraq invasion, and still it went ahead. Of course the government isn't going to listen, why should they? Peaceful protests don't pose a threat to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by konvictz0007)
    I dont want the tuition fees to go up that much, its too unreasonable.

However the government has a bad habbit of not listening to their people.

So, ur opinion, will the protests eventually work?...if not, then how do you suggest we make it work?...
    It won't work, the only hope it to present an economic case for making bigger cuts in something else. The majority of the population would have to support bigger cuts somewhere else which I don't think will happen. Most people that me and my friends talk to are not sympathetic to students and agree with the new proposals.

No it won't. But we will find out soon.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by fire2burn)
      A Million people marched against the Iraq invasion, and still it went ahead. Of course the government isn't going to listen, why should they? Peaceful protests don't pose a threat to them.
      They do take it for granted they can act with impunity. And they do. It's very arrogant. Nobody voted for this government, either.

As a supporter of peaceful protest I believe some more creative peaceful protests need to be thought up, perhaps using the internet as a tool to choreograph events.

ReputationRep:
      I will laugh if it works, and will comeback to this thread to check you're responses.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by twl)
      They do take it for granted they can act with impunity. And they do. It's very arrogant. Nobody voted for this government, either.

As a supporter of peaceful protest I believe some more creative peaceful protests need to be thought up, perhaps using the internet as a tool to choreograph events.
      I think protests on the ground should also be coupled with protests online. Electronic sit ins can be used to cripple government websites and take them down.

There is even an automated java applet available online produced by the Electronic Disturbance Theatre called FloodNet which can be used for such purposes.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Aj12)
      No they are not going to work. The government has already said. Tbh rather than taking to the streets best option would be to go and talk/write letters to and give petitions to your local MP
      You might just as well bake yourself into a pie for what good this would do.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.