Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My dad has just bought a Nikon F55 for me, and I'd just like some advice from anyone who has previously owned one on how to get started etc. I bought my first film today, planning to try it out in a bit in the snow, but I have no clue on what the best films are and all the rest!

Anything you can tell me about this camera would be much appreciated!

(obviously I've read online about it, but I've not used a film SLR before so I'm pretty much a beginner to the whole lenses thing, but I'm really looking forward to learning)

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Read the manual. Load your film. Shoot.

Thats the only way to start learning.

ReputationRep:
    Snow isn't the best way to learn how to shoot film tbh. The way the camera's metering system works is it tries to make a 50% grey, and it thinks that will be about right and will give you a picture the right brightness. In snow, the right exposure is actually a lot brighter than the camera thinks it will be - if you let the camera sort itself out the picture will look really dark and grey. You need to either manually overexpose by a stop or two stops, depending on the conditions, or set the exposure balance to +1 or +2 stops (the latter of which I'm not sure you can do with an F55). As much as I know it's really exciting wanting to go out and play with new gear, your first film may not come out as well as you hoped it would if you shoot in snow. If you do go out in the snow, make sure you put new batteries in it - if they're a few months old the cold will probably flatten them pretty quickly.

A week or so back I was shooting outdoors with my Konica FC-1 and it was so cold the shutter froze, then the batteries died. Shoot = fail. haha

ReputationRep:
    Everyone I know raves about Ilford HP5+, and that's what I am using in my F5.

It also feels good to be using locally produced stuff - It's made down the road from me near Knutsford in Cheshire.

(Original post by Nuffles)
    The way the camera's metering system works is it tries to make a 50% grey,
    18% grey

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ReddDraggon)
    Everyone I know raves about Ilford HP5+, and that's what I am using in my F5.

It also feels good to be using locally produced stuff - It's made down the road from me near Knutsford in Cheshire.

18% grey
    whatevs

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 25, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.