Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hanging out with SOME white people can get sooooo tedious, I hope I don't turn racist Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have alot of white friends, I have alot of asian and black friends also!

I tend to look at individuals rather than an entire race when I speak to people..

But why do SOME white people constantly bring up te subject of race, and then say "it doesn't matter, im not racist etc"

Not all white people are like this...some genuinly don't care...some are genuinly interested etc.

I usually find that a white person that has already gotten to know you, and then asks questions is someone who is genuinly interested and doesn't simply look at you as "an asian, or a black" as they have already become your friend...

however some white people ask you about your race/ religon/ where you are from as soon as they mett you! now, unless you have a foreign accent, why is this such an important issue when you FIRST meet someone? (when you say engand, they say oooo, but where is your family from....stupid idiots don't realise that they probably have norweigan, danish, dutch, french, irish heritage, so me asking them th same question, they should say france or denmark no? yet they don't, they always say england, as if having french ancestors doesn't matter, but having indian heritage somehow precludes you from stating your from england)

I don't go round asking white people whether their mother is scottish and father is french; because it doesn't matter to me/I don't care....

I used to hang with a really good bunch of white friends in school, so never had a problem (not one that couldn't be taken care of, ofcourse their were racial slurs, but usually from people that didn't have many friends and didn't know how to insult a confident guy such as myself) however recently, hanging with some white people rom uni, I have realised that white people can still be very racist, and when in groups, love to encourage eachother....

I had one white guy say "I'm not racist, how can I be? My girlfriend is half Indian. Unfortunatly her dad has brown skin, but you gotta live with it" the whole room then erupted in laughter....

I said this was out of order, and another dude said "c'mon man, stop playing the racist card, he didn't mean it like that! I hate it when you pull that card, you all do it!"

I just smiled and carried on.....

I used to stick up for white people, when my black friends used to say some were evil etc. but this crap is actually starting to make me distrust alot of white people that I meet..and im actually afraid im starting to dislike and thus become racist against them

which is a sham, as some of my best firnds in the past have been white, and my ex was also white...

neway this was very long, but what are your views and advice you could give me?

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like you're being a bit over-sensitive to be honest. At least people are taking an interest in your culture and background which is better than being ignorant and not asking you any questions, or would you prefer that?

I'm white incidentally and if you were to ask me about my heritage and where I'm from I wouldn't be like "OMGG HE ASKED ME A QUESTION ABOUT MY RACE SO HE MUST BE A RACIST!!!!!!!!1111". Grow up.

ReputationRep:
    The banter gets out of hand sometimes. I dunno if I would deem it racism; just insensitivness. "Why the hell do all these Hindus worship like a million gods?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bongboy6969)

I tend to look at individuals rather than an entire race when I speak to people..

But why do SOME white people constantly bring up te subject of race, and then say "it doesn't matter, im not racist etc"

Not all white people are like this...some genuinly don't care...some are genuinly interested etc.

I usually find that a white person that has already gotten to know you, and then asks questions is someone who is genuinly interested and doesn't simply look at you as "an asian, or a black" as they have already become your friend...

however some white people ask you about your race/ religon/ where you are from as soon as they mett you! now, unless you have a foreign accent, why is this such an important issue when you FIRST meet someone? (when you say engand, they say oooo, but where is your family from....stupid idiots don't realise that they probably have norweigan, danish, dutch, french, irish heritage, so me asking them th same question, they should say france or denmark no? yet they don't, they always say england, as if having french ancestors doesn't matter, but having indian heritage somehow precludes you from stating your from england)

I don't go round asking white people whether their mother is scottish and father is french; because it doesn't matter to me/I don't care....

I used to hang with a really good bunch of white friends in school, so never had a problem (not one that couldn't be taken care of, ofcourse their were racial slurs, but usually from people that didn't have many friends and didn't know how to insult a confident guy such as myself) however recently, hanging with some white people rom uni, I have realised that white people can still be very racist, and when in groups, love to encourage eachother....

I had one white guy say "I'm not racist, how can I be? My girlfriend is half Indian. Unfortunatly her dad has brown skin, but you gotta live with it" the whole room then erupted in laughter....

I said this was out of order, and another dude said "c'mon man, stop playing the racist card, he didn't mean it like that! I hate it when you pull that card, you all do it!"

I used to stick up for white people, when my black friends used to say some were evil etc. but this crap is actually starting to make me distrust alot of white people that I meet..and im actually afraid im starting to dislike and thus become racist against them

which is a sham, as some of my best firnds in the past have been white, and my ex was also white...

The vast ,vast majority of Britons don't have norweigan, danish, dutch, french, irish heritage, the vast, vast majority of white people have been here for thousands of years.

Non-whites are newcomers to these islands and have only been here a couple of generations, so obviously people are curious to know your background. How is that racist ?

ReputationRep:
    I'm black and most of my friends are white. In my experience, I've yet to meet a white person who asks me what part of the world I come from. It's usually a black person who wants to know where my parents are born

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind anyone asking where I'm from, I'm happy to tell them. But what I can't stand is when people go on and on about race just to be funny,ironic or controversial, the odd race joke can be funny but when it's overdone it's just cringey. And this has been my experience from people of different races, not just White people.

ReputationRep:
    Well you just have.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I'm white, people ask where I'm from all the time when they hear my name. It's not racist, it's just curiosity. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    You are being over-sensitive.
    People ask those questions out of genuine curiosity.
    Like 'How old are you?', 'What's your name?', 'Where are you from?'.
    There's nothing racist about it. Are you ashamed of where you've come from? Do you not want to mention it?
    It's immature to think people are racist because they ask what race/nationality you are. In fact, it shows how openly we can talk about it and how comfortable we are with it.
    So if I speak on the phone around my friends and start speaking German, and then they turn around and say "Oh, are you German?", that's racist is it?
    No, of course not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    I'm white, people ask where I'm from all the time when they hear my name. It's not racist, it's just curiosity. :dontknow:
    dude, asking where someone is from is not acist, but when it is ALL you ever ask, that's when my suspisions are raised.....

ReputationRep:
    black people should get over seeing race in everything. slavery happened, get over it. Not every white person is out to get to you.

ReputationRep:
    Just puff on that bong of yours and you won't care if they are boring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CommonPeople)
    You are being over-sensitive.
    People ask those questions out of genuine curiosity.
    Like 'How old are you?', 'What's your name?', 'Where are you from?'.
    There's nothing racist about it. Are you ashamed of where you've come from? Do you not want to mention it?
    It's immature to think people are racist because they ask what race/nationality you are. In fact, it shows how openly we can talk about it and how comfortable we are with it.
    So if I speak on the phone around my friends and start speaking German, and then they turn around and say "Oh, are you German?", that's racist is it?
    No, of course not.
    Did you even read my original post!?!? jheeze....

Like I said, I have no problem with a white person that genuinly asks me outy of curiousity, but when it is the FIRST thing they ask me (even before they ask me what my name is sometimes!!!) or the ONLY thing they ask me, then there is something seriously wrong....

ofcourse im not afraid of saying where im from. or where my family is from, however there is more to me then where I/my family is from, but when someone only wants to know this and nothing more, I do feel irritated....it's as if the person doesn't need to know more about you, as they now know which part of the world you are from...which is dumb...it's like white people believe they themselves are individuals and can be totally different from one anothr,, however anyone belonging to an etinic minority group will be exactly like the rest of the people that are the same ethnicity...

again, you prove you either didn't read my post or are a little slow with the german thing....LOADS of white people have german heritage, yet their completley justified if they say their from england, yet I was also born in england yet when I say this i am asked..."yeah but where do you originally come from"... white people never ask eachother this, even though anyone with a brain knows that most white peopel in this country ORIGINALLY come from somehwere else....

AGAIN I REPEAT FOR THOSE THAT DIDN'T READ: I have no problem with people asking me where im from, but why do white people treat it as if it's the most important question....

yes curiousity is fine, but being asked this all day, every day, when you were born in this country, can get tedious...no?

I don;t feel the need to ask you where your great granfather originally came from (and white poeple don't feel the need to ack eachother this)

The fact that everyone is like "your being over sensitive" etc. and glossed over the fact that I was told it is unfortunate to have brown skin, shows how biased SOME of you white people can be...guess if im offended at that, im being over sensitive?

and then you ask, "why do people around th world hate us"...idiots

fortunatly not all white people are like this, I thought white bigots were the minority, but recently im thinking they make up the makority of whites, and the biased repsonses in this topic reinforces this new view I have....

ReputationRep:

Like I said, I have no problem with a white person that genuinly asks me outy of curiousity, but when it is the FIRST thing they ask me (even before they ask me what my name is sometimes!!!) or the ONLY thing they ask me, then there is something seriously wrong....
    Really? Why would there be something wrong? It's because you stand out, I imagine. They notice it, so they ask. It's not racist, it's curiosity.

it's like white people believe they themselves are individuals and can be totally different from one anothr,, however anyone belonging to an etinic minority group will be exactly like the rest of the people that are the same ethnicity...
    No, no, no. This country is predominantly white, so when someone sees a white person on the street, they assume they're British, which isn't interesting because we know all about Britain. It's not because they all believe they're some special thing. When someone speaks a different language or has certain physical features, we might assume that they're a certain race, but we don't know, so we ask. If a white person went to China, you honestly don't believe they'd get the same thing?

again, you prove you either didn't read my post or are a little slow with the german thing....LOADS of white people have german heritage, yet their completley justified if they say their from england, yet I was also born in england yet when I say this i am asked..."yeah but where do you originally come from"... white people never ask eachother this, even though anyone with a brain knows that most white peopel in this country ORIGINALLY come from somehwere else....
    When we talk about white people 'ORIGINALLY' coming from somewhere else, usually we're talking about hundreds of years. When we talk about someone from a minority 'ORIGINALLY' being from somewhere else, it's usually only a generation or two, or none at all.

where your great granfather originally came from
    No one really asks you that do they?

The fact that everyone is like "your being over sensitive" etc. and glossed over the fact that I was told it is unfortunate to have brown skin, shows how biased SOME of you white people can be...guess if im offended at that, im being over sensitive?
    When were you told that you were unfortunate to have brown skin? He JOKED that it was unfortunate. It was a distasteful joke, but everyone laughed. He wasn't being serious, but you chose to take it seriously.

fortunatly not all white people are like this, I thought white bigots were the minority, but recently im thinking they make up the makority of whites, and the biased repsonses in this topic reinforces this new view I have....
    You know what, I think you might be the racist in the room.

ReputationRep:

I understand what you mean, sometimes it feels like my race is a gimmick and is often the butt of jokes.So annoying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    black people should get over seeing race in everything. slavery happened, get over it. Not every white person is out to get to you.

That's like me saying : "The twin towers got blown up...get over it"

If the Nazis won the second world war, would you tell churchill to "get over it" ?

Would you tell jews to "get over" the holocaust?

Why when a mosque is being built where the twin towers used to be (which I personally didn't agree with) why doesn't the majority of white people say "meh, terrorists attcked us, but let's just get over it"

So a black person should get over slavery, but god forbid a white person ever forgets what muslim extremists did in 9/11 or the london train bombings....

see how unfair/biased SOME (I genuinly hope it is not MOST) of you white people are?

when the world cup was on, you are contantly reminding german of the world war when your pissed outta your skull, yet we should never mention the word slavery again?

it's ignorant people like you that create terrorists in this world

You can blame any terrorists attacks we ever get on idiots like this!

ReputationRep:

ofcourse im not afraid of saying where im from. or where my family is from, however there is more to me then where I/my family is from, but when someone only wants to know this and nothing more, I do feel irritated....it's as if the person doesn't need to know more about you, as they now know which part of the world you are from...which is dumb...it's like white people believe they themselves are individuals and can be totally different from one anothr,, however anyone belonging to an etinic minority group will be exactly like the rest of the people that are the same ethnicity...

AGAIN I REPEAT FOR THOSE THAT DIDN'T READ: I have no problem with people asking me where im from, but why do white people treat it as if it's the most important question....

yes curiousity is fine, but being asked this all day, every day, when you were born in this country, can get tedious...no?

I don;t feel the need to ask you where your great granfather originally came from (and white poeple don't feel the need to ack eachother this)

and then you ask, "why do people around th world hate us"...idiots

Not really it is the fundementals of identity. I feel a strong kinship to my fellow Scots, I don't share this with Brown or black people born and raised in Scotland, because I do not see them as ethnic Scots (which they are not). This is no different to black British identity or asian British identity.

Ethnicity is an identity which is shared through - common perception of identity, physical characteristics, common ancestry etc. none of which you share.

You say this like only white people form a group identity which is not true.

ReputationRep:
    That's like me saying : "The twin towers got blown up...get over it"

If the Nazis won the second world war, would you tell churchill to "get over it" ?

Would you tell jews to "get over" the holocaust?

Why when a mosque is being built where the twin towers used to be (which I personally didn't agree with) why doesn't the majority of white people say "meh, terrorists attcked us, but let's just get over it"

So a black person should get over slavery, but god forbid a white person ever forgets what muslim extremists did in 9/11 or the london train bombings....

see how unfair/biased SOME (I genuinly hope it is not MOST) of you white people are?

when the world cup was on, you are contantly reminding german of the world war when your pissed outta your skull, yet we should never mention the word slavery again?

it's ignorant people like you that create terrorists in this world

You can blame any terrorists attacks we ever get on idiots like this!
    So people who ask you where you originally came from (i.e. parents etc.) they are to blame for terrorist attacks ?

You are an utter moron.

ReputationRep:
    for the beginning part of your comment about them always asking stuff a about your race/religion etc they're just making small talk. It's common thing to do when trying to make friends. They don't treat it like it's the most important thing. It's just one the basics of small talk and I'd use it against someone too. I am from a foreign ethnic background myself.

As for your conversation I believe both of you were in the wrong. You should've realised it's a joke but it was also inappropriate of him to say "you all do that".

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.