Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I just found out that Van Gogh died poor, and infact apparently he commited suicide because his brother theo was getting married and he didn't want to be a burden. For one reason or another I'm genuinely dissappointed. I always liked his work and his life story was quite interesting so it just seems a shame that he never got to see the benefits of his work.

Does anyone know of any other artists or talented people that died before they seen reeked the benefits of their work.

ReputationRep:
    In a hundred years time, we'll all be sitting next to the fire, listening to 'Baby' by Justin Bieber hailing him as the world's most talented musician. :nopity:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Most artists are poor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovely_me)
    In a hundred years time, we'll all be sitting next to the fire, listening to 'Baby' by Justin Bieber hailing him as the world's most talented musician. :nopity:
    hmm... I'm very much hoping this is sarcasm!!

ReputationRep:
    Lol possibly, but the thing is he has been recognised while he is alive and has seen the benefits. I'm talking about those that have died unknown and then their talent suddenly becomes popular, and their works start making money.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is true; to be honest though it's the same with the likes of Beethoven. He had to play the organ at his local parish to make money for his family as a result of his father's inadequate behaviour. When he was older he used to wear the same threads everyday according to accounts. Plus the poor guy started turning deaf in his 20s; a deaf Musician - it's too inconvenient to be true!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Law123mus)
    Lol possibly, but the thing is he has been recognised while he is alive and has seen the benefits. I'm talking about those that have died unknown and then their talent suddenly becomes popular, and their works start making money.
    Wilfred Owen... his work wasn't recognised until after he died,

ReputationRep:
    Was he the guy with Bipolar disorder? :holmes:

:tardis: Doctor Who meets him in one episode.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonely14)
    Was he the guy with Bipolar disorder? :holmes:

:tardis: Doctor Who meets him in one episode.
    Yeh

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha.

ReputationRep:
    Patrick Hamilton, died of kidney and liver failure due to alcoholism. A damn fine writer, though he did achieve some recognition in his own time, just nowhere near enough.

Nick Drake would also be one I'd argue. Killed himself when he was 26 having sold very few records. Probably not actually a genius though, same for Hamilton.

Wasn't William Blake pretty much unrecognised in his own time, might be wrong there though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Orwell)
    Patrick Hamilton, died of kidney and liver failure due to alcoholism. A damn fine writer, though he did achieve some recognition in his own time, just nowhere near enough.

Nick Drake would also be one I'd argue. Killed himself when he was 26 having sold very few records. Probably not actually a genius though, same for Hamilton.

Wasn't William Blake pretty much unrecognised in his own time, might be wrong there though.
    Not sure about william blake. I think he was from a rich family, so he didn't die poor, but his work was unrecognised. However I'll need to look this up.

ReputationRep:
    Do you not watch Dr Who?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    Do you not watch Dr Who?
    Who me? If so then no, I've only seen it a few times. Although the few times I have watched it i though it was rather good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Law123mus)
    Seems like editors do that purposely.

ReputationRep:
    Do you not watch Dr Who?
    Not everybody watches Doctor Who, he is not that famous.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I thought this was a common thing for artists?

ReputationRep:
    Most artists die impoverished and unrecognised. It's that old thing of not knowing what you had until you lost it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoulfulBoy)
    Not everybody watches Doctor Who, he is not that famous.:rolleyes:
    Maybe he'll become more famous after he dies? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Maybe he'll become more famous after he dies? :dontknow:
    Let's kill him.:007:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.