Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do you need in the first place? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay... so my friend and I was having a bit of discussion about travelling.

Its something I want to do sooner, while Im young and something he feels he is going to do later in his life..

Obviously its something that many see as gaining life experience too.

But the thing thing we really couldnt agree on is this:

What life experience do you need to go travelling in the first place?
    (aka. - do you need to have been on quite a few flights? or journeys yourself? etc. etc.)

Id just like to hear what other people's think

ReputationRep:
    That doesn't really make sense, to go on flights you must of done some travelling already. I think you need to be independent, quick thinking, and most importantly good at communicating with people. You need to be patient as well because speaking to foreigners isn't as easy as speaking to English people. I think you learn as you travel more, the first few weeks you will learn a lot but it shouldn't be a problem.

ReputationRep:
    I think the life experience you need is to -know- that -you- want to go travelling. Notthat you want to go because all you mates are or because it will look good onthe CV etc. It will almost certainly still be fun if you don't, but it will probably just be fun.

Funding it yourself is also important, IMHO, for a variety of reasons. Almost every -complete- ******* you meet travelling has the trip funded by someone else.

As for travelling, it is a skill like any other and you get better at it :-) I started off with almost none and have probably improved a bit since. Google travelindependent for a head start!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    That doesn't really make sense, to go on flights you must of done some travelling already.
    well so far Ive not really been on any plane journeys, and I was asking more if I plan to go travelling do I need to have more of that experience first, or not really... if that makes more sense at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brabzzz)
    I think the life experience you need is to -know- that -you- want to go travelling. Notthat you want to go because all you mates are or because it will look good onthe CV etc. It will almost certainly still be fun if you don't, but it will probably just be fun.

Funding it yourself is also important, IMHO, for a variety of reasons. Almost every -complete- ******* you meet travelling has the trip funded by someone else.

As for travelling, it is a skill like any other and you get better at it :-) I started off with almost none and have probably improved a bit since. Google travelindependent for a head start!
    Definately! I agree Its got to be something you want to do for yourself, not something you want to do because an employer will like it etc.
    Im just trying to save cash for it right now, to be honest Id never even considered having my trip funded for me - not something I would expect at all.. you probably appreciate it more if its something you've had to work and pay for yourself.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say there is any prerequisite level of travel experience. Before I went travelling for 3 months by myself, I'd only been on holiday abroad without my parents twice and that was only for a week in Prague with my then girlfriend and to Paris with friends for a few days. I coped just fine travelling alone for 3 months. I definitely think I was better prepared for the experience after Uni than I would have been before it, partly because I was used to looking after and fending for myself already. I think if you're streetwise, sociable and can deal with things going wrong (as they inevitably do when you're travelling) then that puts you in good stead, but even if not, you learn as you go along. If you're going to travel alone (the best way to travel imo) then I definitely think having these life skills already is an advantage but everybody learns as they go along. I had the best experience of my life and I didn't feel at all prepared for it, so even if you're feeling unsure just throw yourself out there and see what happens... the chances, if you're like me, you'll love it!

ReputationRep:
    ^ i like that!

ReputationRep:
    I've not really been travelling yet, but I just wanted to say that for me, its something that I plan to do in the future. Mostly due to money. I couldn't afford to do it, or to take a gap year (well, it wasn't really on the cards, and I think I was too immature to use a gap year wisely). So maybe that's why your friend wants to go later. By "later" I mean like before I'm 30 though!

You need a crate of vodka.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by linkdapink)
      I've not really been travelling yet, but I just wanted to say that for me, its something that I plan to do in the future. Mostly due to money. I couldn't afford to do it, or to take a gap year (well, it wasn't really on the cards, and I think I was too immature to use a gap year wisely). So maybe that's why your friend wants to go later. By "later" I mean like before I'm 30 though!
      yep thats me aswell, havent travelled really yet, but something I want to do, and I hadnt considered it much before uni on a gap year mainly probably because I was ready for it. Totally understand what you mean there Exactly, Im considering it more after uni now - into my early twenties. Gives me a year or two to prepare a bit more and save

Thanks for your comment

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by domino0806)
      You need a crate of vodka.
      Hahaha a clear neccesity! :grin:

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.