Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey i was hoping i could get some recommendations on good PHP books for beginners.

I would say i know the bare basics of PHP and i want to learn a lot more, i have seen a few books with good reviews on Amazon but they seem to be about patterns and structure which is probably a bit advanced for me at the moment.

So was just wondering if anyone had some good book recommendations?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by play-doh)
    Hey i was hoping i could get some recommendations on good PHP books for beginners.

I would say i know the bare basics of PHP and i want to learn a lot more, i have seen a few books with good reviews on Amazon but they seem to be about patterns and structure which is probably a bit advanced for me at the moment.

Thanks
    For the very basics I would recommend just using an on-line tutorial, such as this one found at W3Schools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fallen)
    For the very basics I would recommend just using an on-line tutorial, such as this one found at W3Schools.
    Thanks for the reply but i have already done this, i am just looking for something in the form of a book which is slightly more advanced which i will learn more stuff from, ideally OOP and SQL Views and cool stuff like that

ReputationRep:
    When I started learning PHP I got: "PHP & MySQL Web Development For Dummies".

I found it very good

ReputationRep:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Web-Programm.../dp/0470017759

I use it for part of my CompSci degree and it's very good.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks i will check out these suggestions out

ReputationRep:
    Personally I've generally just used the documentation on uk.php.net Usually there are some pretty good examples on there. If that fails suitable searches on google can often lead to useful examples.

In terms of the SQL side of things you might be better off looking at documentation for the DB server you're using (often MySQL) and examples based on the DB engine. In terms of writing SQL statements it's generally the same format whether it's php, C, perl, python or direct access to the DB. The only real difference is the function you use to send the query to the DB.

ReputationRep:
    Agree with all above. W3C, For Dummies and the SQL book.

Nothing beats practice though. Come up with an idea for a project and build it, best way to learn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markrush)
    Agree with all above. W3C, For Dummies and the SQL book.

Nothing beats practice though. Come up with an idea for a project and build it, best way to learn.

Much agreed. Soon after I'd read up on the basics I dived into a big website project with a user system, logging in, admin control panel, dynamic pages etc...

I learnt so much doing that, never feel that what you're doing is a waste of time, you can always reuse code for projects in the future

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    Hi,
    I am a php beginner,For the very basics I would recommend just using an on-line tutorial -Free PHP Script

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/PHP-MySQL-De...1886457&sr=8-1

ReputationRep:
    I just follow some tutorials and extensively play around with code snippets and scripts I find floating around in cyberspace. I acknowledge that books add a lot of structure to the learning process, but over the years my knowledge has really developed.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.