Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So, women are men faced slightly different selective pressures, and evolved slightly different physical and psychological adaptations (e.g. men are stronger, women are better at verbal abilities)

What would be the correct term to describe the evolution of these gender-specific traits?

Would it be phylogenetic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrimateJ)
    So, women are men faced slightly different selective pressures, and evolved slightly different physical and psychological adaptations (e.g. men are stronger, women are better at verbal abilities)

What would be the correct term to describe the evolution of these gender-specific traits?

Would it be phylogenetic?
    No. 'Evolution of sexual dimorphism' I think is what you're looking for :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grovichik)
    No. 'Evolution of sexual dimorphism' I think is what you're looking for :-)
    Oh. I thought sexual dimorphism pertained only to the physical size/shape of the bodies?
    (I guess I was wrong about that).

Ok then, what would be the word for what sexual dimporphism is responding to?

For example, if women faced the issue of pregnancy (while men don't) throughout thousands of generations, would it be wrong to say this is a "phylogenetic" thing?

Different selective pressures for genders.... what's the word...

hmmm

ReputationRep:
    Oh. I thought sexual dimorphism pertained only to the physical size/shape of the bodies?
    Yip, a sexual dimorphism can be in shape/size/colour/behaviour/survival...

(Original post by Primate)

For example, if women faced the issue of pregnancy (while men don't) throughout thousands of generations, would it be wrong to say this is a "phylogenetic" thing?

hmmm
    Hmmm....I'm not sure of the word you're thinking of. I would probably say something like this if I were writing in an essay...'differential selection pressures acting on males and females cause sexual dimorphism'.

:-)

ReputationRep:

hmmm
    I've never heard 'phylogenetic' used in this sense and I'm not sure how it would make sense...unless I'm misreading your question... :-(

ReputationRep:
    No, you're probably right. Thanks for the input

ReputationRep:
    No, you're probably right. Thanks for the input
    Sorry I can't be more helpful :-)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.