Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I've been thinking, what is the deal with political correctness these days?

It seems like as quickly as our language is growing, it's being eroded by over sensitive morons who take offence at something as ludicrous as coughing in the wrong pitch.:eek: -I know right.

Now, don't get me wrong, I can understand how the use of certain words or phrases could be construed as offensive, I just take issue with the sheer scale that this crap is taken to. To be PC in today's world seems to involve taking a 'neo-I-don't-want-to-even-risk-being-seen-as-derogatory-in-any-way' kind of stance which, in turn, often means taking something as simple as an observation and trying to remain neutral with it.

For instance, it is apparently completely wrong to say

- The black man/lady
    - The white man/lady
    - The Half-Cast man/lady

Now, I'm sorry...but these things are purely ways of distinguishing between certain types of people. Two Tom's, one is black one is white (you don't know their second name). If I want to describe them I could try and describe their hair style, maybe a hobby, or recall a certain event where the relevant Tom I'm trying to describe was present...OR I could say 'yeah, the white one'

why is this perceived as anything different than 'yeah the one with blonde hair' 'or was it the one with red hair?'

I can, at a push, extend an understanding nod to those in position of high power or influence who need to implicitly show their neutralness; but stay at home mums who can't say the word 'black' for the life of them need to grow the Duck up.

Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whythehellnot)

It seems like as quickly as our language is growing, it's being eroded by over sensitive morons who take offence at something as ludicrous as coughing in the wrong pitch.:eek: -I know right.

Now, don't get me wrong, I can understand how the use of certain words or phrases could be construed as offensive, I just take issue with the sheer scale that this crap is taken to. To be PC in today's world seems to involve taking a 'neo-I-don't-want-to-even-risk-being-seen-as-derogatory-in-any-way' kind of stance which, in turn, often means taking something as simple as an observation and trying to remain neutral with it.

- The black man/lady
    - The white man/lady
    - The Half-Cast man/lady

Now, I'm sorry...but these things are purely ways of distinguishing between certain types of people. Two Tom's, one is black one is white (you don't know their second name). If I want to describe them I could try and describe their hair style, maybe a hobby, or recall a certain event where the relevant Tom I'm trying to describe was present...OR I could say 'yeah, the white one'

why is this perceived as anything different than 'yeah the one with blonde hair' 'or was it the one with red hair?'

I can, at a push, extend an understanding nod to those in position of high power or influence who need to implicitly show their neutralness; but stay at home mums who can't say the word 'black' for the life of them need to grow the Duck up.

Thoughts?
    Yeah I agree, it is getting ridiculous and going too far

ReputationRep:
    "Caste" refers to someone's place in a social hieracrhy so to say "half-caste" is a bit iffy. Other than that I completely agree. Like when my white friends are singing to Snoop Dogg and as soon as n1gga is said, they go all coy. Just say the ****ing word for God's sake.

ReputationRep:

- The black man/lady
    - The white man/lady
    Is it? Really?

- The Half-Cast man/lady
    Well that's just ridiculous anyway. What's wrong with mixed race?

To me people complaining about political correctness often just want something to complain about.

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm2: Who has apparently said you're not allowed to say it?
    The phrase PC gone mad is just getting tedious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natha_Lite)
    :facepalm2: Who has apparently said you're not allowed to say it?
    The phrase PC gone mad is just getting tedious.
    Agreed, the people against PCness are making more of a fuss about it than anyone else.

ReputationRep:
    well actually I take offence of your use of the word duck. ducks are majestic creatures and you are just objectifying them.

ReputationRep:

- The black man/lady
    - The white man/lady
    - The Half-Cast man/lady

Thoughts?

I have never heard anyone say that you shouldn't say 'black man/woman', 'white man/woman'. Half-caste is quite an offensive term to use for reasons already stated, however it even gets used a lot and knowone really bothers.

ReputationRep:

- The black man/lady
    - The white man/lady
    Er, no it isn't. It's perfectly accepted in society to say someone's black. Stop making things up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Law123mus)
    Agreed, the people against PCness are making more of a fuss about it than anyone else.
    I hadnt even heard of the concept before the over the top Daily Express headline.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, people don't care. You're just wanting there to be an issue out of nothing. People like that annoy me.

ReputationRep:
    Half Caste is both offensive in the use of the word cast and also the word half, as it derives from people believing they were only half a person, figuratively.

Saying black is not offencive.

PC gone mad is something made up by the Daily Mail + other uber-nationalists to make the uneducated scared.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missygeorgia)
    Er, no it isn't. It's perfectly accepted in society to say someone's black. Stop making things up.
    I'm not sure I agree with you. You can't speak for society. I'd like to think that it is and I use it as though it were. Yet when I do so, people often give me disapproving looks. I've seen other people try and describe people in a long round about way with the sole intention of not pointing out their race/colour.

Your position about 'society's' complete, unequivocal agreement that using these terms are acceptable can be thwarted with a lone case to the contrary, which I'm sure is easily found.

The problem is there is no one to say in any official capacity, as far as I'm aware, to say yes, this is fine, no this is unacceptable. So, instead, it comes down to individuals and the way idea's spread throughout a people. Some agree that there's a problem, others, like yourself fail to see the problem - that doesn't mean it's not there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueJoker)
    Half Caste is both offensive in the use of the word cast and also the word half, as it derives from people believing they were only half a person, figuratively.

PC gone mad is something made up by the Daily Mail + other uber-nationalists to make the uneducated scared.
    that is called being over analytical e.g.

conservative = con - serv - ative

this clearly means conservatives are convicts that serve but serve who? Satan that's who!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueJoker)

Sure, I can get behind that. Doesn't the idea that people take it and therefore, react to it and make choices on what they do and don't say force it to be real?

I'd say it's a safe bet that there are more uneducated/ignorant people than otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AClockworkOrange)
    Nope, people don't care. You're just wanting there to be an issue out of nothing. People like that annoy me.
    haha 'people' meaning you? I'm sorry but you can't talk for all people everywhere ever. People like THAT annoy me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sango)
    "Caste" refers to someone's place in a social hieracrhy so to say "half-caste" is a bit iffy. Other than that I completely agree. Like when my white friends are singing to Snoop Dogg and as soon as n1gga is said, they go all coy. Just say the ****ing word for God's sake.
    I didn't know that If that is true, then I suppose I can see the problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Law123mus)
    I want some justification for why I get disapproving looks for using basic words and methods for distinguishing between two or more people. It's pathetic, especially as I very rarely intend on offending people. I maintain that the real offence should come from the way in which the word is used, not the word itself. Yet, that doesn't seem to be the case from my experience. I don't like being told what I can and can't say by 'the wider society' through social contract.

ReputationRep:
    that is called being over analytical e.g.

conservative = con - serv - ative

this clearly means conservatives are convicts that serve but serve who? Satan that's who!
    Oh no, that's not me over analysing it, it is actually partly why it's called that. It comes from the Belgian rule of the Congo where they believed the child of a white Belgian man who had a child (usually through rape) with a black woman was half a person because they were half white.

ReputationRep:

- The black man/lady
    - The white man/lady
    - The Half-Cast man/lady

Thoughts?
    yeah i love it on question time when david dimbleby is trying to take a question from the only black guy in a room full of white people, and goes to extraordinary lengths not to say "the black man"

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.