Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Suitability for University and worries about applying before viewing?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello people, I am currently in my last year of college studying for a BTEC N.D. In Interactive Media. A lot of my course modules put emphasis on Graphics Design, Animation, typography and Image Manipulation. However I wish to go into Advertising design which I suppose one might say anything graphically would qualify for this? I am really wanting to prepare myself for my application for University (upcoming Academic year 2011). I will elaborate further on my problem....

Basically to get more to my point, I am wanting to go to University, to study Advertising design. Because I am passionate about selling 'ideas' but more the creative side of things. However several doubts stand in my way. One problem is that, although I think I will get Merits and/or Distinctions in my National Dip, I have poor GCSE results, I have taken my English again and I am awaiting my result, which is due in January. I think that this may affect my eligibility for University.

My problem also lies in the fact that because I want to do Advertising, I am unsure as to whether or not it lies within the boundaries of a degree in Graphics Design (generally) or in other sectors like 'Visual Communication'.

I did in fact go to the a Manchester 'higher education' Universities Fair for 'design' earlier this week. Where several universities were giving advice and information on degree courses. However I never really asked too many questions because I was naive about what 'Advertising' fell under. And so, I kept quiet and just took the Prospectuses. Upon taking them home I basically looked at all degree courses I liked (of which didn't mention GCSE results as Entry requirements). Because I was conscious at the fact that the entry requirements differed in some Universities.

My query is that, what University (specific) courses are best for 'Advertising design' up north or in the Yorkshire area?

My main issue is that for the Universities I am pondering on applying for, well I haven't attended an Open Day event purely because I have missed them. I am unsure as to whether I should Email and enquire, and I have doubt's as to whether I have time, since the deadline for most uni's is January.

Thanks, Ash.

ReputationRep:
    I am exactly in the same boat as you, i have had many problems these past 2 years and i had to drop my subject from 5 to 2 and i need a distinction distinction and i doubt it i get it as i am stressing and havent even sent my ucas off because of lots of problems going on

sorry i am not giving advice but i am just letting you know your not the only one panicking

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.