The Student Room Group

Eton vs Westminster?

I'm currently in Yr11 and applying for both these schools .
So far i've passed the entry exam for Westminster and had my interview(Places are offered in early December , so i don't know yet)
Eton has this 3 day entry exam/interview/stay period in February.

So my question is which one is better? a list of pro's and con's would be nice .

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Pro's for Eton:

You get far more sexual experience.

Con's for Eton:

It's not consensual.
(edited 13 years ago)
*subscribes*
Reply 3
I imagine this thread is gonna get a lot of bashing from a lot of ignorant people who don't understand that majority of kids in private schools come out perfectly normal and that only a few come out as posh snobs. It's just like state schools the majority come out as nice people and you only a get a few thugs/chavs.

P.S I go to a state sixth form. My private school friends are perfectly normal.
Reply 4
well, david cameron went to eton.

so westminster (:
(nick clegg went there, excellentay)

westminster is also generally regarded as less "posh" (except it's still a ridiculously good school)
I get the point that Westminster is a lot better academically and has a much higher Oxbridge rate
And i hear that Eton is better than Westminster in every other aspect(and also there is co-ed in Westminster)

I just get this impression that it feels like going to jail when you go to Eton as you don't get much time to go out of school on the weekends or after school because your an hour away from London, however Westminster is the middle of everything and you almost have to go home on weekends

When i went to the interview at Westminster , the general interview person kept on persuading me to go to Eton saying there is a lot more to do there which was quite odd..
westminster is considered to be the best academically. thats about as far as my knowledge goes.

i know a fair amount of people from both. most of them are really nice, theres a couple of dicks in there though.

your best bet is to chat to some people at both
(edited 13 years ago)
Lucky bastard...financially/mentally empowered to enjoy the best Britain has to offer.

Eton if you enjoy the poshness and Westminster if you are so set on Oxbridge that u want to maximise ur chances.
Original post by TheRevolution
Eton if you enjoy the poshness and Westminster if you are so set on Oxbridge that u want to maximise ur chances.

I am set on Oxbridge
Westminster being 50% sounds a lot better than 33% from Eton
Original post by justrelirandom
When i went to the interview at Westminster , the general interview person kept on persuading me to go to Eton saying there is a lot more to do there which was quite odd..
He was probably trying to see how you'd respond and whether you'd agree that you'd rather go to Eton, so that he could give preferential treatment to those who specifically wanted to go to Westminster as a first choice. :wink:
I don't think you should choose based solely on Oxbridge admission rates - playing the numbers game is futile and counter-productive. You are more likely to perform well, if you are happy and well-adjusted.

Therefore, choose based on which school is a better fit for you socially. Eton and Westminster are very, very different in terms of the social scene, atmosphere, interpersonal dynamics, etc. You have to decide where you are going to be more comfortable.
Original post by Leviathan21
I don't think you should choose based solely on Oxbridge admission rates - playing the numbers game is futile and counter-productive. You are more likely to perform well, if you are happy and well-adjusted.

Therefore, choose based on which school is a better fit for you socially. Eton and Westminster are very, very different in terms of the social scene, atmosphere, interpersonal dynamics, etc. You have to decide where you are going to be more comfortable.

Eton offers a 3 day stay period where the interviews/exams take place which would be great for me to get a feel of the atmosphere , but there isn't anything like that for Westminster
Westminster has a co ed sixth form. The different houses at Westminster will have an effect on the experience. See where you get in first though.
Reply 13
Westminster, easily..
Save your money and get better life experience by going to an inner-city academy.
Original post by jungjin1142
Well, I was in your position last year, in the end I went to Eton. I think if you're a fully focused academic, you should probably go to Westminster but if you do excel at other things as well, you'll probably be better off at Eton. Feel free to PM me if you want me to elaborate on anything and good luck on both admissions :smile:

Oh and btw, don't make your decision based on grades/Oxbridge rates. Both schools will give you enough support to get into them, no problem. With Eton though, I have noticed that not many people aspire for Oxbridge but those who do, do get into them.

Man....Eton sounds so wonderful. did u go there? if so how did u like it?
Original post by jungjin1142
Well, I was in your position last year, in the end I went to Eton. I think if you're a fully focused academic, you should probably go to Westminster but if you do excel at other things as well, you'll probably be better off at Eton. Feel free to PM me if you want me to elaborate on anything and good luck on both admissions :smile:

Oh and btw, don't make your decision based on grades/Oxbridge rates. Both schools will give you enough support to get into them, no problem. With Eton though, I have noticed that not many people aspire for Oxbridge but those who do, do get into them.

Thanks
bump
bump
bump

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending