The Student Room Group

Eton vs Westminster?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by FamousFourTops
Erm...You could go to neither and have a sixth-form experience which wouldn't leave you socially crippled and unable to function in the normal world...But, if you insist, I would go for Eton.

Complete contradiction there?
Do you think you'll learn more about 'life' in central London or in a town whose name's only famous because of its school?
Reply 61
Original post by Sagacious
Yes.

At Eton, a pupil may request for a teacher to help them in the exam.

At Westminster, the teacher sits the exams for the pupil.

haha, a lovely bit of sarcasm. but honestly.. i mean for example is a person that gets 4 A* at eton equal to a person with 4A* elsewhere?
Reply 62
Original post by Millerman
haha, a lovely bit of sarcasm. but honestly.. i mean for example is a person that gets 4 A* at eton equal to a person with 4A* elsewhere?

I think it depends on the school you're comparing it to...

Comparing crummy comprehensive with eton, I'd say it was easier to get them at Eton where generally the teachers are better and willing to help you with stuff you don't understand.

Comparing competitive grammar school which really "coaches" for the exam with eton. i'd say it's harder to get them at eton because a lot stuff is extra and not on the syllabus, and you're not spoon fed information at all.

And by the way 4A* at eton is not very common (usually significantly higher)
Reply 63
Original post by Storme
I think it depends on the school you're comparing it to...

Comparing crummy comprehensive with eton, I'd say it was easier to get them at Eton where generally the teachers are better and willing to help you with stuff you don't understand.

Comparing competitive grammar school which really "coaches" for the exam with eton. i'd say it's harder to get them at eton because a lot stuff is extra and not on the syllabus, and you're not spoon fed information at all.

And by the way 4A* at eton is not very common (usually significantly higher)

what do most people at eton get at GCSE and AS?
Reply 64
what do most people at eton get at GCSE and AS?

I've known anything from 2-12 A*, but most people get 7-8 or more.
4 or 5 A grades at AS

Don't quote me on this!
Reply 65
Original post by Storme
I've known anything from 2-12 A*, but most people get 7-8 or more.
4 or 5 A grades at AS

Don't quote me on this!

does that mean you're guessing?
Reply 66
That's what I know from people who went/go there, but I am talking about maybe 30 out of a school of 1200 so my sample may not be representative
Reply 67
does that mean you're guessing?

Forgot to quote you on the last one! See above
Reply 68
Original post by Storme
That's what I know from people who went/go there, but I am talking about maybe 30 out of a school of 1200 so my sample may not be representative

fair enough, just those grades are very good so im a bit surprised.
Reply 69
...although i suppose kids at eton are given a lot more work etc and revision
Reply 70
fair enough, just those grades are very good so im a bit surprised.

Well you do have to pass a difficult test to get into Eton, so pretty much everyone is well above average intellegence, the teaching is generally very good, if you mess around and do no work they just kick you out and seeing as your parents are paying shedloads of money probably wouldn't want to waste that.

I think Eton is overrated as the "best" school, because although the teaching is obviously really good and there's loads of extra stuff you wouldn't get anywhere else, you have to remember that they are starting out with intelligent, teachable and (usually!) well behaved pupils so it's not an impossible feat.
Reply 71
Original post by Storme
Well you do have to pass a difficult test to get into Eton, so pretty much everyone is well above average intellegence, the teaching is generally very good, if you mess around and do no work they just kick you out and seeing as your parents are paying shedloads of money probably wouldn't want to waste that.

I think Eton is overrated as the "best" school, because although the teaching is obviously really good and there's loads of extra stuff you wouldn't get anywhere else, you have to remember that they are starting out with intelligent, teachable and (usually!) well behaved pupils so it's not an impossible feat.

yeah good point, i could of gone to a good grammar school as i passed the exam but to be honest i get on with my teachers and think i will do better at the state school im at cos i enjoy it, whereas some of these schools seem more strict
I'd go for Epping Forest College mate.
there arent any girls at eton

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending