Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Reccommend me osme Japanese films Watch

ReputationRep:
    No Anime, horror films(unless really good) or old films(kurosawa etc) please....

I wanna watch some good modern Japanese films, Drama, love story, thriller, I don't mind what genre but none of what I listed above please!

Some modern japanese films ive already seen
    Departures
    Tokyo Sonata
    Memories of matsuko(looooooove it!)
    Love exposure
    Hana-Bi
    Brother
    Sonatine
    Kikujiro
    Nobody Knows
    Still Walking
    Air doll
    Ping Pong
    Twilight samurai
    The Hidden blade
    When the last sword is drawn
    Kamikaze girls
    Spirited away
    Howls moving castle
    Grave of the fireflies
    Audition
    Battle Royale
    Battle Royale 2

theres probably more but those are the good ones I remember anyway, any suggestions??

ReputationRep:
    All About Lily Chou Chou is a must, and Suicide Club

ReputationRep:
    I know you said you weren't the greatest fan of horror, but I'm sure if you can handle Battle Royale, you can handle a bit of Takashi Miike. I hear Audition and Ichi The Killer are particularly good.

ReputationRep:
    I liked audition(cant say i enjoyed it lol), the trailer for ichi the killer looks really disgusting, is the violence kinda cartoony like battle royale, or really disturbing like audition?

ReputationRep:
    The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. :love:

ReputationRep:
    Ponyo :cool:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chupacabraconcadabra)
    No Anime, horror films(unless really good) or old films(kurosawa etc) please....

I wanna watch some good modern Japanese films, Drama, love story, thriller, I don't mind what genre but none of what I listed above please!

Some modern japanese films ive already seen
    Departures
    Tokyo Sonata
    Memories of matsuko(looooooove it!)
    Love exposure
    Hana-Bi
    Brother
    Sonatine
    Kikujiro
    Nobody Knows
    Still Walking
    Air doll
    Ping Pong
    Twilight samurai
    The Hidden blade
    When the last sword is drawn
    Kamikaze girls
    Spirited away
    Howls moving castle
    Grave of the fireflies
    Audition
    Battle Royale
    Battle Royale 2

theres probably more but those are the good ones I remember anyway, any suggestions??
    You mentioned no anime, but you listed quite a few anime like Spirited Away, so I am confused

Do you mean anime as in currently running shows. If so then I would recommend most of what Studio Ghibli produces whom produced stuff like spirited away, howls moving castle, ponyo and Totoro.

Or something like 5 centimeters per second, and girl who lept through time, and Akira

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Facticity)
    These two are both anime :cool:

But both good films
    OP had Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away and Grave of the Fireflies on there, so I thought anime would be okay.

And then I just noticed the "no anime" bit.

Sorry!

(You should check it out at some point though, it's brilliant.)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IlexBlue)
    OP had Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away and Grave of the Fireflies on there, so I thought anime would be okay.

And then I just noticed the "no anime" bit.

Sorry!

(You should check it out at some point though, it's brilliant.)
    I have seen the girl who lept through time. Very philosophical, light and entertaining and a brilliant storyline. I loved it

ReputationRep:
    my bad, sorry i just mentioned those anime incase someone says something like "i know you said no anime but you need to watch Spirited away!"

But yeah i dont really wanna watch any anime movies :P they dont really do it for me.

Anyone know any good Japanese Drama films? A good depressing film or a love story? Theres so many Korean films like this but I cant seem to find many japanese films like this...most of the stuff I hear about on the internet are Anime like studio ghibli stuff, teen films like Death Note, horror films like Ringu, "over the top" crazy films like Azumi and Machine girl and older films like Kurosawa's stuff...

I liked films like Tokyo sonata and Memories of matsuko, Love exposure was your typical japanese over the top crazy perverted japanese film, but it was still awsome

I just want some "normal" drama's though, no crazy over the top stuff..

ReputationRep:
    I haven't seen it yet, but The Ballad of Narayama sounds very interesting.

ReputationRep:
    I liked audition(cant say i enjoyed it lol), the trailer for ichi the killer looks really disgusting, is the violence kinda cartoony like battle royale, or really disturbing like audition?
    I've not actually seen it to be honest, I just know Takashi Miike comes highly recommended.

I'd hazard a guess that the violence will be completely over-the-top and unrealistic, so in that way probably a bit cartoony, but that's just a guess, I don't even know too much about them. Seeing as you've already seen Audition (which I didn't notice in your post), I'd also recommend (again without seeing) Visitor Q, which is meant to be very good.

But if you really want my advice, ditch the Japanese films and watch a bit of Korean, particularly the films of Park Chan-Wook. His 'Vengeance Trilogy' is brilliant, two out of the three make it on the list of the top ten films I've ever seen.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know any good Japanese Drama films? A good depressing film or a love story? ...
    I just want some "normal" drama's though, no crazy over the top stuff..
    All About Lily Chou Chou and Suicide Club will be right up your alley, so to speak, they fit this pretty perfectly.

Lily Chou Chou is one of my favourites, it's slow paced, but I like that sort of thing. Alot of the film has a strange dreamy feel to it, and the soundtrack is incredible. It's basically a teenage drama which for the most part follows a group of high school lads who experience a sequence of high's and low's in and out of school - mostly out of, it's certianly not a 'high school drama'. It's also a very modern film, in that the internet plays a key role in the story, and was very instrumental in how the film was made.

Also try Aoi Hara (Blue Spring), Gaichu (Harmful Insect) and Ritual (Shiki-Jitsu). Ritual is starred by the director of Lily (and was written/directed by Anno for any Eva/anime bods), who later made a movie called Hana and Alice, which is pretty good too. Lily takes the prize for me though, I'd recommend it to anyone.

ReputationRep:
    Tokyo Story, or the Seven Samurai.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074102/

ReputationRep:
    If you're open to Asian cinema in general you could try The Vengeance Trilogy, The Host, Dumplings, I'm a Cyborg and if you like martial arts movies Ip Man is great. Aftershock is meant to be quite good but I personally haven't got around to watching it.

ReputationRep:
    I second Vengeance trilogy, particularly Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance.

ReputationRep:
    Ive seen loads of Korean films, i loove them, Japanese cinema has the history, but Korean cinema now adays is wayyyy better than Japanese cinema.

I just feel like watching some Japanese films for a change

All About Lily Chou Chou looks really good I'm definitely gonna check it out

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 3, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.