Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Generic 'I like a girl, what should I do?' thread Watch

Anon or delete please.

OK, I'm a second year student so obviously I should have a little more sense than to post this question on an internet forum but anyway.

Basically there is a group of us at university (around 15) that are all quite good friends and we all get on really well, however recently I have become quite close to one of the girls in the group and we often flirt and have a laugh with each other and now I 'fancy/like' her or however you want to label it. Normally this would be a pretty simple situation to deal with. Flirt. Ask out. Date. Relationship. Pretty standard stuff.

However, she has just come out of a long-term relationship (about a month ago) and despite our closeness when we go out as a group she often 'gets around' in clubs, kissing a few guys and what not - although she never goes back with them (she isn't that sort of girl) but then the rest of the night she is usually with me (by her own choice) flirting, drinking, dancing, hugging etc... I don't know if she is kissing these guys to get over her ex or what but that is the situation I'm dealing with her and I also don't know if she is just being friendly with me and I'm nothing but 'a friend.'

How do I approach the fact I like her? I can imagine just telling her will be quite full on seeing as she is just out a relationship...

Any general advice? I know this is such a generic situation but that is why I'm posting, in the hope that someone else has experienced this and can advise.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Has she ever made a move on you while she's been drunk?

You have to ask yourself why she gets off with others so easily, but doesn't try it with you.

ReputationRep:
    you my friend are what they call FRIENDZONED

ReputationRep:
    You could, for example, look at all the other generic 'I like a girl' threads and see if that sheds any light on the situation.

(Original post by JohnnytheFox)
    Has she ever made a move on you while she's been drunk?

You have to ask yourself why she gets off with others so easily, but doesn't try it with you.
    No, but I've only been out 3 times since she broke up with her boyfriend so we haven't been drunk around each other that much really...

All her friends makes little comments about us 'making a good couple' and what not and one of them told me she liked me.

I don't know if she is waiting for me to kiss her and when I don't she goes off with these other guys or maybe I'm well and truly friend zoned.

Thnaks for your reply though mate.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, why haven't you made a move on her?

(Original post by f1re)
    Ok, why haven't you made a move on her?
    Thought it was to soon after her boyfriend. Nobody wants to be the 'rebound' guy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thought it was to soon after her boyfriend. Nobody wants to be the 'rebound' guy.
    but you're fine to see her snog other dudes? really?

ReputationRep:
    massively friendzoned unless you do something quick

ReputationRep:
    You should:
    Get a boner, then insert it into the vagina.
    Problem solved.

ReputationRep:
    xx

(Original post by Bakerzoid)
    Let's start with the basics. How tall are you if you don't mind me asking?
    6'3"...

I don't want this to become a generic 'do girls like tall guys' thread that you see on TSR though.

ReputationRep:
    xx

(Original post by Bakerzoid)
    You shouldn't have any problems then, mostly just confidence issues. I think she is being more than friendly personally but you should instinctively know roughly how she feels about you. I can't speak from experience but if you want to leave it for a few weeks/months and don't want to get friend zoned I would try to strengthen your relationships with other friends (if you have ended up focusing on her more in particular) because I suppose if you spend too much time with her and exclusively do the sort of things that a friend would do then you may end up being seen as a close friend.
    I'll take this on board, cheers for the reply!

ReputationRep:
    Grow a pair and step up to the plate!

ReputationRep:
    Just tell her...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Anon or delete please.

OK, I'm a second year student so obviously I should have a little more sense than to post this question on an internet forum but anyway.

Basically there is a group of us at university (around 15) that are all quite good friends and we all get on really well, however recently I have become quite close to one of the girls in the group and we often flirt and have a laugh with each other and now I 'fancy/like' her or however you want to label it. Normally this would be a pretty simple situation to deal with. Flirt. Ask out. Date. Relationship. Pretty standard stuff.

However, she has just come out of a long-term relationship (about a month ago) and despite our closeness when we go out as a group she often 'gets around' in clubs, kissing a few guys and what not - although she never goes back with them (she isn't that sort of girl) but then the rest of the night she is usually with me (by her own choice) flirting, drinking, dancing, hugging etc... I don't know if she is kissing these guys to get over her ex or what but that is the situation I'm dealing with her and I also don't know if she is just being friendly with me and I'm nothing but 'a friend.'

How do I approach the fact I like her? I can imagine just telling her will be quite full on seeing as she is just out a relationship...

Any general advice? I know this is such a generic situation but that is why I'm posting, in the hope that someone else has experienced this and can advise.

Thanks.
    give it a another month to help her get over her previous long term relationship, once done, ask her out and bingo!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 3, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.