The Student Room Group

Do I have a right to tell her not to get with other people in front of me?

So I've been hooking up with an American girl from uni for about a month. We get along really well and the attraction is there but she's made clear from the beginning it's all no strings. She has an ex-boyfriend back in the states who she's on a break from (due to distance etc) but he's very very clingy and always bbming her and when she goes back home in a week they'll be back together...

So yeah I knew what I was getting involved in and am cool with it being no strings etc even if I like her a lot. I also knew this girl was a bit crazy and I know her history, she's been around (although at uni she's only hooked up with me and possibly this other guy one time when she blacked out and woke up with him... lol).

The thing I want to know is, in light of the above, do I have any right to tell her not to get with other guys when I'm around? I don't know if she would, I hope not, but I'm probably taking her to a party with a lot of friends from home and if she gets with a friend or with a random in front of friend I'd be upset. So if I saw her flirting with other guys or anything more should I tell her not to even though it's no strings?
Reply 1
I'm literally in the same position, it's no strings, but we do have an agreement not to do anything blatantly in front of one another. Then again this has been going on about 11 months and we've only seen one other person each in that sort of time frame with a few cheeky snogs in between. I don't think its too much to ask for her not to get with guys while you're around, just so neither of you get awkward when you've been having a pretty decent time together! Just don't let your self sound anything like the clingy ex she's already got hanging around :smile:
Reply 2
If she was actually your girlfriend then yeah, I'd say it's a fair request for you to ask her not to cheat on you, but you're just fooling around with her in a 'no strings attached' relationship. Would be a bit weird for her to go sleep with a guy, while sleeping with you, at a party you took her too.
sounds to me like you dont really have a leg to stand on here... i mean yeh it would be unfair of her to get with someone else while at a party you brought her to, and she probably knows that, but at the same time she would be within her rights... just hope that your mates know whats going on between you guys and leave well enough alone! cos you should never get with someone your friends been with! its like an unwritten rule!
Reply 4
No strings attached? Means no strings. If you ask her not to get with other people you're creating strings.
Reply 5
Original post by hg345
No strings attached? Means no strings. If you ask her not to get with other people you're creating strings.

That's what I'm wondering, but like she's out tonight, she might get with another guy, I'm not so stupid as to ask her not to even if I'd prefer she didn't and would rather not know... However, if I'm with her I'm hoping it's different. I don't think she'd want to; when I've been out clubbing with her she's stuck with me, but if she's wasted then you never know.

I think I'll just stick with her at the party, attempt to prevent her getting totally wasted and see how it goes. If a guy is making moves on her though I might ask my friends to subtly tell them to **** off. I won't know everyone there but will have a core group of mates who I can rely on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending