Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey there, i'm in a bit of a dilemma, and i'd appreciate your thoughts and opinions.

I am studying Architectural Technology at Leeds Met, first year. I had always intended, and greatly wanted to study Architecture. I recieved places at universities, but i didn't recieve good A levels (BCC) so my options were severly limited. I decided to give this course a try, in the hopes that it would sway my opinions, however i am incredibly unhappy with this course, for a number of reasons that do not particularly discredit the course itself, it just isn't for me. I have a passion for the arts, which exists in my interest of architecture, also in games and film. I find little or no creative aspect in this course, and i was looking for a course where the creative aspect was integral.

So for the time being i have been thinking of my options. I have seemingly stumbles across the University of Creative Arts, which has an Architecture course with a requirement of 260 points. This course was deemed 3rd best in the UK in 2009, and the facilities look fantastic.

So i present to you this dilemma. At current i'm sat in my £112 a week flat in Leeds, wasting quite a considerable sum of money. Should i continue to search for an Architecture course? Should i look to find a course transfer to Y1 or apply through UCAS, because if i was doing the former i would need to complete this year and use it as leverage to get a place. If i apply through UCAS, how much would a first years in Arch Tech count for? Would it be worth something or am i better to leave now and apply for next september. And if i did that, how much of my loan / tuition / accomodation could i get cut off?

I thank you for you time.

ReputationRep:
    First year in Arch Tech won't count at all apart from demonstrate your ability to stick at the course, either way you'll be going into first year again. Architecture courses are very hard to rate but UCA wouldn't be up near the top, your talking probably over 400 UCAS points for most of the perceived top schools. There are some schools around the 300 points mark but below that I can't say I'd rate many of those courses but this is just personal opinion. The thing with architecture is it doesn't really matter what school you go to it's your hard work that will count in the end, obviously a good school will help to a certain degree.

I'm not sure about your fee's you'll have to ask your education board, in my case I had already completed a higher education course which meant i had to pay the first year of my architecture fee's but after that I was covered again. There is a formula for it, someone on TSR will know it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivlatty)
    I have seemingly stumbles across the University of Creative Arts, which has an Architecture course with a requirement of 260 points. This course was deemed 3rd best in the UK in 2009, and the facilities look fantastic.
    I'm going to be blunt. The University of Creative Arts probably isn't even RIBA accredited and even if it is. There is NO WAY IN HELL it is in the top 30 never mind the top 5 schools in the UK.

And your existing degree counts for diddly squat.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.ucreative.ac.uk/article/2...ed-third-in-UK

I understand that this does not specifically mean 'best course', and when you use the website rating system, it's more like 10th than 3rd. However this statement was merely to illustrate the point that i felt the facilities offered and the feedback from students there at current was good.

Also;

BA (Hons) Architecture is an ARB and RIBA validated course which has been developed as a design laboratory in which you develop radical conceptual approaches to architecture and test them through their use, or potential use, in society
    I am unsure if RIBA validated means RIBA accredited, but i'll leave that up to you.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure UCA is validated.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to check if it's validated: http://www.architecture.com/Files/RI...choolsList.pdf

It is validated, but part 2 is a graduate diploma and not MArch, I don't know the difference though.

ReputationRep:
    There is no difference for Part II apart from the name, even the MArch is a masters in name only. The funding agreement with the government which wont fund a masters because of all the problems it would lead to with funding in general means we basically do two undergraduate degree's. Even the MArch is undergraduate they just chose to call it a masters to reflect that it will be everyone's second degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivlatty)
    http://www.ucreative.ac.uk/article/2...ed-third-in-UK

I understand that this does not specifically mean 'best course', and when you use the website rating system, it's more like 10th than 3rd. However this statement was merely to illustrate the point that i felt the facilities offered and the feedback from students there at current was good.
    You need to bear in mind though that 'student satisfaction' has got to be one of the most biased and dubious criteria in these so-called 'rankings' and so this little snippet of self-promotion is pretty much next to meaningless. How are are students supposed to assess their satisfaction if they have nothing to compare it against (ie. they haven't experienced other courses, only their own)? Perhaps the students were 'satisfied' because it wasn't particularly taxing? I'm just speculating here but I think you can see my point.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.