Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Intelligence- Are Academic grades a measure of ones abilities? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Greetings users of TSR! I decided to create this thread because I am intrigued by the concept of Academic grades being the deciding factor in a persons personal intelligence and abilities. The question I pose is: Do you think a persons Academic grades would determine their own intelligence as such? What does everyone think?

As individuals of an expanding Academically fueled world, what do you as potential prospective HE students think?

Personally speaking, I think that a persons grades do not reflect their true potential. Because a person could score very low in their English GCSE lets say, but be among the most well-written individuals in their constituency.

From a personal point of view also, I think that everyone low or high scoring students should be given 'free reign' over what Education they can attain. As opposed to offering the 'best' candidates the best places. Although fair play, these students work hard and have 100% determination I agree with this, and so they deserve a good university place. Nevertheless, the shy, the outspoken, the academically challenged, the brightest should all be given places at any given university. There should be more of an acceptance towards the whole broader range of students. For example, those students which tend to fail exams and who don't prosper in traditional settings in education should be granted places at any university, as long as they posses the commitment and the passion to show/prove their causes. I think that some teachers in schools do favour the students perceived to be more intellectual, which is in essence morally wrong. I think this is the reason, that the students sink into more of a depression over their own educational experiences, and additionally they are being neglected in my opinion.

In conclusion, because these lesser performing students are been ignored they don't learn nor prosper any further. I think that those professionals in education should take steps to reintroduce and encourage teaching of all students, regardless of social class. Because although people may say that this used to happen decades ago (about the smarter candidates been nurtured and others ignored)- it still happens, but isn't noticed as much.

Most importantly, I think every one individual is clever as such, in their own way. Some are arrogantly inclined about been clever, some outspoken and some very reserved and only express themselves in writing.

---
    Peoples thoughts and opinions greatly appreciated?

Thanks for reading, Ashley.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. Everybody getting A's left, right and centre. It's all about hard work and practice, knowing the exam technique and remembering your stuff.
    I don't completely agree with your post. But I agree when you say people have different talents, but not everyone should uptake the acedemic route tbh.... Some people are just less acedemic than others, and more value should be given to things like apprenticeships. I'm pretty sure I'd be on one if I weren't pressed into going to uni like now!!

ReputationRep:
    Well done for wasting your time writing some bull**** nobody is going to read.

Also, if anybody says "IQ tests" - your mum is a whore.

ReputationRep:
    Big question, just from my own experience I don't think they are directly correlated to each other, I mean I meet lots of people who get excellent or very good grades, some of them are very intelligent both academically and socially, whereas some may have lots of knowledge of these certain subjects but are completely uninspiring in conversation and you just get a feeling they can just hold knowledge but not actually be intelligent and have proper original ideas.

Of course the points i've raised there raise another question; Which type of intelligence is more important to later life development, Social or academic.

sorry my post is a bit 'thoughts of the page' kinda writing, I was just trying to get it down :P

ReputationRep:
    Intelligence is how you get on in life, and in the world.

Many academic people are dolts by how they act in life.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe we should stop referring to all young people as 'students', everyone is just a human and as humans we learn throughout our lives whether we try to or not.
    We all have different talents, experiences, skills, bits of knowledge, and things we're interested in. I like to think about intelligence not as having a size or quantity, but as having a shape. Of course you can compare how good people are at scoring points on a particular test, or how fast they can do mental arithmetic but this information has limited use.
    They beauty of a shape is more subjective, and similiarly the value of each different person's intelligence will be regarded differently by different people (including employers).

So to answer the original question, academic grades can serve as a measure of something but not necessarily the value of someone's intelligence.

Anyway, academic tests/exams are by no stretch of the imagination what one would call a 'fair test' in science, not least because people put varying amounts of preparation into them. So we could hardly use them to 'measure' anything objectively.

ReputationRep:
    To some degree I think so. In general, it's rather clear cut that if one person gets an A and one person gets an E the former is better than the latter but that said people are different at different things aswell.. but with regards to close grades like B/C I don't think so.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    No grades are a useless measure of intelligence

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by royal1990)
    Greetings users of TSR! I decided to create this thread because I am intrigued by the concept of Academic grades being the deciding factor in a persons personal intelligence and abilities. The question I pose is: Do you think a persons Academic grades would determine their own intelligence as such? What does everyone think?

As individuals of an expanding Academically fueled world, what do you as potential prospective HE students think?

Personally speaking, I think that a persons grades do not reflect their true potential. Because a person could score very low in their English GCSE lets say, but be among the most well-written individuals in their constituency.

From a personal point of view also, I think that everyone low or high scoring students should be given 'free reign' over what Education they can attain. As opposed to offering the 'best' candidates the best places. Although fair play, these students work hard and have 100% determination I agree with this, and so they deserve a good university place. Nevertheless, the shy, the outspoken, the academically challenged, the brightest should all be given places at any given university. There should be more of an acceptance towards the whole broader range of students. For example, those students which tend to fail exams and who don't prosper in traditional settings in education should be granted places at any university, as long as they posses the commitment and the passion to show/prove their causes. I think that some teachers in schools do favour the students perceived to be more intellectual, which is in essence morally wrong. I think this is the reason, that the students sink into more of a depression over their own educational experiences, and additionally they are being neglected in my opinion.

In conclusion, because these lesser performing students are been ignored they don't learn nor prosper any further. I think that those professionals in education should take steps to reintroduce and encourage teaching of all students, regardless of social class. Because although people may say that this used to happen decades ago (about the smarter candidates been nurtured and others ignored)- it still happens, but isn't noticed as much.

Most importantly, I think every one individual is clever as such, in their own way. Some are arrogantly inclined about been clever, some outspoken and some very reserved and only express themselves in writing.

---
    Peoples thoughts and opinions greatly appreciated?

Thanks for reading, Ashley
    I'm not Ashley.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
    I'm not Ashley.
    Hello, Ashley.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not Ashley.
    chuckled at that!

ReputationRep:
    bindun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoulfulBoy)
    Hello, Ashley.
    :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the OP. I did my MSc dissertation on this question. Academic grades don't correlate as well with IQ as people might think (and this is not just from my findings). Performing well in education does take a certain level of intelligence but many intelligent people don't perform as well as they might be expected (they often excel in other areas).

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm2:
    Ashley. TSR loves you deeply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    No grades are a useless measure of intelligence
    They don't measure intelligence, that's probably why. Whilst we could ramble on about how good various IQ tests and psychometric tests actually are, I think it's fair to reason that a test aiming to determine 'intelligence' will probably do a better job than a test aimed at recalling facts and answering standard model Qs.

To the OP, parroting back facts and/or routine model solutions does not indicate anything other than what it requires. Anything that asks for knowledge already takes away from the measuring intelligence aspect, since the two are distinct really. Capacity of knowledge may come into it a little, but that is different, and not the main attribute associated with intelligence. Mental agility, speed, ingenuity and creativity appear to be the primary attributes most associate with intelligence.

In any case, if you have a sh*t life, it doesn't really matter at the end of it all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoulfulBoy)
    Ashley. TSR loves you deeply.
    :nooo:

ReputationRep:
    Intelligence is quite simply making the correct choices in a given situation.

Clearly, doing well in exams is a very good choice. Ergo, yes, everyone who gets good grades is intelligent (to varying degrees). After all, going to Cambridge is a good idea; coasting through school and just getting average grades whilst holding out to be a singer or something is a bad idea.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you. I'd say it's about 65% hard work, and the rest intelligence.

I know this from experience... I've got a Mensa-high IQ, yet, I get A's and B's, when I could be gettin straight A*'s. It's down to the fact that I never do homework, miss lessons and generally don't pay attention.

Edit: After actually reading your post, I couldn't disagree more on just about everything you wrote, apart from your initial statement.

ReputationRep:
    :nooo:
    :cool:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.