Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm doing 4 A-levels, really like them and everything, aiming for As etcetc
    But I'm having a HUGE problem with time. I'm a perfectionist and learn better on my own copying notes from the textbook rather than in lessons. This is pretty time consuming.

The problem is when I'm given an essay (all of my subjects are essay-based) I like to take my time doing wider reading and stuff to make it the best it can possibly be but I end up falling behind on other deadlines as a result.

Dont get me wrong, when it comes to coursework I hand it in on time.

But some of my teachers are getting pissy cos I keep handing in homework late even though I get As in it, they seem to think I'm being lazy cos they dont see all of the work I do at home. Fair dos, I get where they're coming from cos its also their kneck on the line if i dont perform...

My questions are: how do manage your time more effectively? Do you struggle with the deadlines? Are you constantly finding yourself making excuses for homework lateness- and just to throw in a bit of humour, whats the worst excuse you've told?

ReputationRep:
    Their neck on the line? lol.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by StephenP91)
    No, their kecks on the line. They must have been doing some washing.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=kecks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by TheSmithsIndeed)
    So I'm doing 4 A-levels, really like them and everything, aiming for As etcetc
    But I'm having a HUGE problem with time. I'm a perfectionist and learn better on my own copying notes from the textbook rather than in lessons. This is pretty time consuming.

The problem is when I'm given an essay (all of my subjects are essay-based) I like to take my time doing wider reading and stuff to make it the best it can possibly be but I end up falling behind on other deadlines as a result.

Dont get me wrong, when it comes to coursework I hand it in on time.

But some of my teachers are getting pissy cos I keep handing in homework late even though I get As in it, they seem to think I'm being lazy cos they dont see all of the work I do at home. Fair dos, I get where they're coming from cos its also their kneck on the line if i dont perform...

My questions are: how do manage your time more effectively? Do you struggle with the deadlines? Are you constantly finding yourself making excuses for homework lateness- and just to throw in a bit of humour, whats the worst excuse you've told?

I think you possibly have your priorities wrong. Get your homework in on time and write up your notes later. Remember your teachers will be asked to comment on your record of meeting deadlines for your UCAS reference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    No, their kecks on the line. They must have been doing some washing.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=kecks
    Lol! Exactly...

ReputationRep:
    Don't copy from the textbook, paraphrase so you are sure you understand. If you write in your own words, you are optimising the economy of your time: learning plus making sure you understand plus helping your ability to condense the subject matter which is the main point of essays as you get older. Turn your perfectionism into perfectionism in conciseness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StephenP91)
    There's always someone on this forum who can't resist correcting a spelling mistake...

no matter how utterly retarded it was

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSmithsIndeed)
    There's always someone on this forum who can't resist correcting a spelling mistake...

no matter how utterly retarded it was
    It's funny you should say that. I wasn't making reference to the fact that you miss-spelled. Hell, I didn't even notice it. I was simply pointing out that it is incredibly difficult to get a teacher fired.

ReputationRep:
    Do you use your frees in college as well as doing things at home? If you don't, then doing work in your breaks will probably help.

Otherwise it's just a matter of training yourself to work quicker, I guess. Write essays under exam conditions at home as you'll have to learn to do it for summer exams anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Do your homework before you write up revision notes, as doing homework teachers set is a type of revision. You could set aside free lessons during college to get your homework done if you need to so you can do your notes at home.

There is nothing wrong with wider reading to expand on your essays, but the teachers will know exactly what you need to know and will (if they are doing their jobs correctly) provide you with all the support you need to get the best grades.

I've always put homework at the top of my priorities because teachers write your reference, and to universities time keeping is an important skill if you want to get a decent degree, and then I put my own revision notes after that. Try to do a bit every night to ease the pressure.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.