Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Like forreal do you think the world will end in 2012? I think its a bunch of bs like forreal the Mayans made a lot of inaccurate predictions based off their calender.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KellyKellyFan411)
    Like forreal do you think the world will end in 2012? I think its a bunch of bs like forreal the Mayans made a lot of inaccurate predictions based off their calender.
    How have you got 5 warning points in 8 posts?

Anyway, I don't think the world will end.

ReputationRep:
    narr it wont end, the mayans didn't predict that... its just that after 21 december 2012 they dont have any more predictions, they didn't say that the world was going to end.

ReputationRep:
    I know the Mayan calender ends in December 2012, but I was just saying that a lot of their predictions were inaccurate to back up that the world won't end.

ReputationRep:
    like forreal, who knows.

ReputationRep:
    I hope it doesn't I have alot to live for:cry2:

ReputationRep:
    I'd say the most likely answer is......probably not

Sensationalist nonsense - the Mayan Calendar doesn't end, it rolls round into a new cycle. Most of the modern day Mayan descendents and scholars don't consider 2012 to be significant; it's a very generic, open-ended "prophecy" which has a) been misinterpreted b) is open to vast interpretation anyway. Not only that, there are believed to actually be errors in the Mayan calendar and the end date for this cycle might be somewhere between 2001 and 2047. Whenever it is, there is no pinpoint accuracy.

Planet X a.k.a. Niburu? Again, nonsense. An object as big as these ludicrous prophecies claim would be easily visible by even the most amateur of astronomers by now. If it did exist, how would you keep that kind of secret?

Yes, the sunspot cycle is changing and the sun's magnetic poles will likely reverse, and the Earth's magnetic poles are gradually moving as well - this is true. The biggest side effect of this might be a short-term communications blackout or electromagnetic interference - big deal, it's temporary and we are more than capable of dealing with it. Just because stars are lining up in certain ways, it doesn't mean anything at all. It's a well known phenomenon, and it's likely that it's what people used to base their calendars on.

If anything happens, it'll be terrestrial in origin (unless you believe in aliens) - nuclear war, terrorism, economic collapse... something like that.

ReputationRep:
      Nah, not necessarily end as such but since that date corresponds with references and symbology in other religions and beliefs, maybe it isn't purely coincidence. The Mayans weren't exactly dumb after all.

With my agnostic rather than atheist tendencies, I prefer to go with the (more optimistic) 'New Age' interpretation, that it will be instead of an end a new era or major new revelation in world understanding.

Having been indoctrinated by my dad with 'true believer' (or pro-extraterrestrial) propaganda and evidence since a young age I go with an alien landing or revelation by the USA of their link with extraterrestrials.
      Failing that, the Second Coming.

ReputationRep:
      It's just when their calendar ends.

It's the equivalent of me turning over the last page on my calendar, seeing no more kittens, and declaring the world is going to end.

ReputationRep:
      Like forreal do you think the world will end in 2012? ...
      I dunno, but what I do know is:
      Your world will end when you die.
      You can escape mortality by being born again (see John 3;6-8, Acts 2:4, 33-39).
      Why carry on playing Russian Roulette?
      - there's a better game in town.

ReputationRep:
      I think it will end forreal.

ReputationRep:
      Forreal, it is going to end, yes.

You may as well plan your demise now, you're not going to let the aliens take you are you?

:rolleyes:

For those who are too tired to sense the sarcasm, there was sarcasm somewhere up there ^

ReputationRep:
      No It won't, ffs people are so stupid and gullible these days.

ReputationRep:
      I really don't think so.

PS. 5 warnings in 19 posts, it must be a record.

ReputationRep:
      In two words, like, no.

ReputationRep:
      It's true, Paul the octopus was of mayan decent and he made all those prediction. lamejokealert

ReputationRep:
      Hopefully.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
      It's true, Paul the octopus was of mayan decent and he made all those prediction. lamejokealert
      Hahaha!

ReputationRep:
      Only one way to find out....

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.