Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Am I looking too deep into this situation? Watch

So there's this girl at my university. I can't tell if she likes me or if she's just really friendly. I'll try to explain the situation.

First off, I don't see her that much on campus. But whenever I do see her she's always really nice and seems really happy to see me. She laughs at a lot of the things I say and is always smiling. Also, she always comes up to me. It's not like I go up to her and then we talk. For example, I was in line getting ice cream at the dining hall the other day. She was waiting with her friends who had already placed their order and were waiting for their ice cream. She saw me and came over to talk to me in line. Again, she seemed really happy to see me. I was at the back of the line. We started talking and then she said something along the lines of, "I already got cereal, but I think I'm gonna get ice cream now." (And no, she's not a fat cow lol). So we talked the entire time we were in line together. Meanwhile, she was making her friends wait (because they had finally got their ice cream) just to talk to me. She was smiling and laughing a lot the entire time, too. Now, I could be overanalyzing this (which I've been known to do), but it just seemed like she likes me.

Another time, me and 3 of my friends were walking around looking for a party. We passed her and her 2 friends who were visiting from another university. I asked her where they were going, etc. and she said we could come along. We got to the party and all was good. Again, she seemed happy and kinda playful the whole time. We walked home together.

The following weekend, my friend was throwing a party, so I invited her to it. She showed up. It was pretty late though, so her and her friends went home pretty soon after they got there. Nothing special happened here, but I thought, "hey, she came to my party, maybe this means something."

Another time, we were at a party and she came up to me and we talked, but she was extremely drunk so I don't know if this really means anything.

Now, all of this may make it seem like she likes me (or not, I could just be overanalyzing this situation). But there is a problem.

The night I invited her to the party that me and my friend were throwing, I overheard her friends ask her if she wanted to go home with me. (Obviously, I wasn't supposed to here this conversation). She said no. Also, the one night where me and my friends were looking for a party and she invited me to the one she was going to, she just gave me a hug goodnight.

Wow, this ended up being a lot longer than I wanted it to be. But I just wanted your advice. Does she just want to be friends? Or does she like me?

ReputationRep:
    soz too long, but without reading it i think you are since you made a thread about it :P

(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    She definitely likes you. I wouldn't say those two 'problems' you listed were actual problems. Not going home with you could just mean she was comfortable going with her friends and just giving you a hug - it's not like you have made any positive moves to invite anything more, is it? Apart from the one invitation you gave her, she seems to be initiating everything.

So there's your problem...start initiating conversations yourself instead of waiting for her - before it's too late and she gives up.
    Appreciate the advice. The problem, though, is that I never really see her. It's not like I see her and then wait for her to approach me. She always sees me first and approaches. Trust me, I would definitely initiate conversation if I saw her first.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 3, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.