Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How can I walk in this icy weather? Too slippery :( Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have to go to work tomorrow, but yesterday I tried going to my corner shop and slipped so much just past my front gate that I came home, it's horrid.

How can I make it to the bus stop tomorrow without slipping? Is there anything I can put on my shoes perhaps that I might have lying around at home???

ReputationRep:
    If your shoes have adequate grip on them and you're careful, you should be alright?

ReputationRep:
    Don't even try walking.....fly...that's what i do....

Think of a happy place and fly.....of course you need to find a fairy....so go to the bottom of the garden.....sprinkle water in the air.....jingle bells....and a fairy will come.

you'll never slip on the ice if you're flying

ReputationRep:
    However.....if the fairy plan doesn't work....get a jet pack??

It has two advantages......you'll not slip.....and you'll look really cool flying in a jet pack

ReputationRep:
    Get proper winter shoes? This unexpected and very surprising snow comes pretty much every winter.

Having a pair of warm and water-resistant shoes can't exactly be a bad thing, even if there's no snow.

ReputationRep:
    Ask yourself what would a penguin do in this situation.

ReputationRep:
    use a bicycle or crawl over there. where do you live btw??

ReputationRep:
    I am worried about that as well.

Last year, I slipped and got bruises all over my arms and a nasty one on my forehead. Missed my History exam as I was lying in Hospital. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Each time you put your foot down, twist it, you can walk pretty fast over most icy patches by doing this.

ReputationRep:
    Depends how icy the ice is. If it is basically snow with bits of ice then good grip on your shoes and care will get you from A to B. However when it was at its worst last year even my full grip walking boots were not gripping, if its sheet ice its sheet ice. I remember walking to work going down a hill where you just basically couldn't walk, you had to kind of slide down as best as you could.

But actually for young people who don't have mobility problems, the big danger isn't when its icy like this and you know to take care. The problems come when there are just a few ice patches here and there, and you aren't expecting it and walk at normal pace then your foot hits a slippery patch and your stomach lurches.

ReputationRep:
    get someone who has a car to give you a lift, I'll testify that this works as a great alternative to trying to catch two buses to get to your destination.

ReputationRep:
    Walk slowly...?

ReputationRep:
    How I roll:

ReputationRep:
    Wellies?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HJV)
    Get proper winter shoes? This unexpected and very surprising snow comes pretty much every winter.

Having a pair of warm and water-resistant shoes can't exactly be a bad thing, even if there's no snow.
    Sadly, people in this day and age don't think like this. Apparently the way your clothes and shoes look is everything. Even in this weather.

ReputationRep:
    If you have to walk in icy weather all you can really do is just wear boots or shoes with good traction and go slow, though sometimes even then you still can fall even with that. Just be really careful but mostly make sure to dress warm of course.

ReputationRep:
    The real question is how wearing ridiculous heels in this weather whilst traversing the ice on sloped surfaces with a brainful of alcohol is done.

But for normal people, only two things are needed: snug fitting, grippy shoes and an indifferent attitude towards the possiblity of landing on your belly. I've found that actually pretending you're ice skating helps, it heightens your balance and avoids the foot-on-ground impact that can lead to a slip.

ReputationRep:
    Get some shoes with grip! Absolutely crucial! I also seem to recall using a cheese grater on the soles of your shoes to make them more grippy if you don't want to buy a new pair. Just be really careful when you walk...walk slowly!

I am a complete klutz so though I love the snow, the ice makes getting from A to B so dangerous; I regularly trip up over my own feet on plain ground!

Today actually, I was crossing the road, slipped on black ice and fell directly on my rump...right into the path of an oncoming cyclist! He then braked, fell and slid towards me on his side, stopping JUST before he and his bike collided with my face. The handsome young gentleman then picked me (as well as my jaw) up off the floor. Proof that chivalry lives on!

ReputationRep:
    I've also had to make the switch to walking boots as my shoes couldn't cut it, hell my walking boots are struggling on some of the well used paths up steepish slopes. Tried wellies but already fallen once in them this year.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.