Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Flatmate is so digusting I think he is affecting my health due to his hygine. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Getting fed up with him now, he is an utter slob to the point that he even doesnt clean the toilet after going so its often covered in crap, he has lived there a year longer than me and never once cleaned so everything in his bedroom is coated in dust and he has bugs in his room, he has a tall vanity mirror which is coated with dirt and dust, you cannot see the floor of his room because theres that much old uni work and clothes lying about, he stinks as he only spends about 10 minutes a week showering etc.

The kitchen looks like one of those grime buster shows when I moved in and even now, if I go away for 2 days to see family the place looks like it hasnt been cleaned in over a year, he chucks rubbish onto the ground when using it, whenever he eats he leaves the empty boxes everywhere etc.

One of the stupidest things he does is he is so lazy he doesnt even bother aiming his coffee and sugar into a cup so an entire sideboard and the floor is coated in sugar and coffee!

He is also an utter thief, I am currently signed off as am ill so living off benefits and he is a full time student with loads of money and he steals my food then acts like its ok as he will give me the cash back, despite the fact when he steals food it means I might have no food left to eat for myself so have to go to the supermarket just to get more, which he then eats and says the same thing, he does offer me the cash for the food but I tell him thats not the point, plus I buy reduced stuff as cant afford full priced things and he thinks he can just give me the cash for reduced food and I tell him I want the food replaced he says that is "unfair"

This guy is aged 22 and a half yet acts like a schoolkid!

Just want to rant and ask for any advice.

ReputationRep:
    Move out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    Move out?
    Are you insane? Is it really that simple? Obviously then the problem will be solved and he'll have nothing to moan about and he can't have that now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spinnerette)
    Are you insane? Is it really that simple? Obviously then the problem will be solved and he'll have nothing to moan about and he can't have that now.
    No because there is the simple issue of contracts etc.

Besides the rent here is cheaper than loads of other landlords about and the landlord is a nice guy its just the other tenant that is the issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EarlHickey)

Besides the rent here is cheaper than loads of other landlords about and the landlord is a nice guy its just the other tenant that is the issue.
    Well speak to the landlord about it then if you cannot talk it through with your flatmate. Either that or put up with it. It can't get much simpler than that.

ReputationRep:
    Whenever anyone has the slightest problem with accommodation, the immediate reaction is always 'move out then'. To say what many people after me might also say, why should the OP move out? It's not their fault their flatmate is a munter :/
    Surely you can resolve the problem somehow without resorting to 'GTFO ASAP'

ReputationRep:

Well in that case, tell the landlord? Presumably he won't be too happy about the condition of his house.

Also, bit of a guess here, but if the house isn't fit to live in then maybe you could get the contract terminated if you needed to?

(Original post by alharrison4)
    Whenever anyone has the slightest problem with accommodation, the immediate reaction is always 'move out then'.
    Because it works.

ReputationRep:
    Well speak to the landlord about it then if you cannot talk it through with your flatmate. Either that or put up with it. It can't get much simpler than that.

Not really, in my experience most landlords dont care about tenant disputes, have had 2 in the last 2 years with other issues who just say "so what? why are you telling us" had a messy housemate last year but in a different way, he brought guests round to living room often and the living room was full of empty bottles and a few take away cartons and LL said we both had to take responsibility.

Already had a few mentions to ll about this anyway and he said he could speak about the food if needed but he doesnt think he can do much about the tidiness as he himself has spoke to tenant about it in past as just given up about the issue.

ReputationRep:

The kitchen looks like one of those grime buster shows when I moved in
    Then why the hell did you move in, dip****? If the guy couldn't even be bothered to clean up while he was showing prospective tennants around, surely that should have set some alarm bells ringing?

ReputationRep:
    Because it works.
    Surely it's also a load of unnecessary hassle if the problem could be sorted out anyway?

ReputationRep:
    ewww i'd try to kick his nasty ass out. yuck

ReputationRep:
    Not really, in my experience most landlords dont care about tenant disputes, have had 2 in the last 2 years with other issues who just say "so what? why are you telling us" had a messy housemate last year but in a different way, he brought guests round to living room often and the living room was full of empty bottles and a few take away cartons and LL said we both had to take responsibility.

Already had a few mentions to ll about this anyway and he said he could speak about the food if needed but he doesnt think he can do much about the tidiness as he himself has spoke to tenant about it in past as just given up about the issue.
    There is not much to suggest instead of ending your tennacy agreement.
    Unclean house and disgusting housemate + cheap rent
    or Tidy and clean housemate + pay a bit more.

I know which I'd go for.

ReputationRep:
    Surely it's also a load of unnecessary hassle if the problem could be sorted out anyway?
    Well you have to weigh up if it's less hassle than sorting out the problem, and if you can even sort it out.

ReputationRep:
    Well you have to weigh up if it's less hassle than sorting out the problem, and if you can even sort it out.
    Agreed.

I just don't think moving out should be the first plan of action; it should be a last resort when other attempts at sorting things out have failed.

ReputationRep:
    There is not much to suggest instead of ending your tennacy agreement.
    Unclean house and disgusting housemate + cheap rent
    or Tidy and clean housemate + pay a bit more.

I know which I'd go for.
    Ah but theres zero guarantee that I will get tidy housemates is there, in EVERY house I have lived in the last 3 years all student places I havent had a single tidy housemate, the first had a cleaner so the tenants left all their rubbish about, the second was a large 40 bedroom building that most tenants were messy, even had one tenant who never cooked and put piles of pizza boxes on his windowsil and then pushed them out onto passers by which attracted complaints.

Then had another were someone stained the floor with some ultra strong curry powder, and left pots filled with grease all over the place.

Dont forget that students are very messy people so you expect some mess.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed.

I just don't think moving out should be the first plan of action; it should be a last resort when other attempts at sorting things out have failed.
    Also agreed.

Though I suspect in this case the landlord won't be much help, and the housemate isn't suddenly going to become someone with high standards of cleanliness, so it may well come down to putting up with it or moving out anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Ah but theres zero guarantee that I will get tidy housemates is there, in EVERY house I have lived in the last 3 years all student places I havent had a single tidy housemate, the first had a cleaner so the tenants left all their rubbish about, the second was a large 40 bedroom building that most tenants were messy, even had one tenant who never cooked and put piles of pizza boxes on his windowsil and then pushed them out onto passers by which attracted complaints.

Then had another were someone stained the floor with some ultra strong curry powder, and left pots filled with grease all over the place.

Dont forget that students are very messy people so you expect some mess.
    There is never going to be a zero guarantee. You are just finding excuses now to not do the logical thing. If you don't like living with Students. Stop blooming well living with them.

ReputationRep:
    There is never going to be a zero guarantee. You are just finding excuses now to not do the logical thing. If you don't like living with Students. Stop blooming well living with them.
    Excuse me EXCUSE ME! What am I making excuses for? Where do you get that from?

ReputationRep:
    Excuse me EXCUSE ME! What am I making excuses for? Where do you get that from?
    Well I provide you all the possible solutions one could do in this situation but then you go and say "I can't do such and such because I'll get this problem" as if intentionally providing many scenarios to avoid solving the problem. That is making excuses. It is obvious that it might not be as bad as you say it is if you are providing problems to obvious solutions.

There will be problems with everything, no solution is perfect.

ReputationRep:
    Well I provide you all the possible solutions one could do in this situation but then you go and say "I can't do such and such because I'll get this problem" as if intentionally providing many scenarios to avoid solving the problem. That is making excuses. It is obvious that it might not be as bad as you say it is if you are providing problems to obvious solutions.
    No no no, you are throwing out easy answers not solutions, and answers that are easy to guess and which came to mind myself before I made the thread so I have thought what you said through before you even mentioned things.

That is NOT making excuses

I can see you are trying to help but that doesnt mean your advice is every solution or not been thought of or heard before.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 15, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.