Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Well basically, I want to teach, but I am not 100% sure if I'd rather teach at a school or college.

At the moment I think I'd rather do college but I was wondering, if I did my training to teach at post 16 can I then go on to also do my training for 11-16 if I change my mind a few year later?

I was just wondering becasue I have a girl on my course now who has done her teacher training in one subject and now wants to teach a different one but she said she can't do another PGCE.

Thanks for any help!! xx
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Technically you can transfer to any age group once you've got your pgce - it just depends on whether a school would be willing to hire you if you haven't had any training or experience in that age group. A fair number of secondary schools have sixth forms tho, so if you were to get a job in either key stage, it would probably be easier to transfer internally or at least get some experience. I'm unsure which is easier to do tho to start off with and change later on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhiani-ani-on)
    Well basically, I want to teach, but I am not 100% sure if I'd rather teach at a school or college.

At the moment I think I'd rather do college but I was wondering, if I did my training to teach at post 16 can I then go on to also do my training for 11-16 if I change my mind a few year later?

I was just wondering becasue I have a girl on my course now who has done her teacher training in one subject and now wants to teach a different one but she said she can't do another PGCE.

Thanks for any help!! xx
    Are you thinking of doing a PGCE in post 16?

I'm not sure about that but I know that if you do a standard PGCE you can teach in a college but if you do a different qualification that leads to teaching post 16 you can't teach KS3/4.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kateh86)
    Are you thinking of doing a PGCE in post 16?

I'm not sure about that but I know that if you do a standard PGCE you can teach in a college but if you do a different qualification that leads to teaching post 16 you can't teach KS3/4.
    Well the course I am look at for 16+ is PGCE Post Compulsory Education and Training (PCET) at Sunderland.

http://www.sunderland.ac.uk/study/co...pcet#careerops

x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xKTx)
    Technically you can transfer to any age group once you've got your pgce - it just depends on whether a school would be willing to hire you if you haven't had any training or experience in that age group. A fair number of secondary schools have sixth forms tho, so if you were to get a job in either key stage, it would probably be easier to transfer internally or at least get some experience. I'm unsure which is easier to do tho to start off with and change later on
    Okay thanks for you help =] x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhiani-ani-on)
    Well the course I am look at for 16+ is PGCE Post Compulsory Education and Training (PCET) at Sunderland.

http://www.sunderland.ac.uk/study/co...pcet#careerops

x
    "Your PG/CE (PCET) will enhance your employment prospects throughout the post-complusory sector."

My understanding of this is that you would be able to teach in a college but NOT in a school with this qualification - do check this with someone at the uni though!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kateh86)
    "Your PG/CE (PCET) will enhance your employment prospects throughout the post-complusory sector."

My understanding of this is that you would be able to teach in a college but NOT in a school with this qualification - do check this with someone at the uni though!
    Your understanding is correct.

ReputationRep:
    oh i thought once you have a qts you could teach at any key stage and/or any subject you wished...

ReputationRep:
    The best thing for you is to teach at college students well give you respect and are alot maturer.
    I am a 6th former and I can tell you that some kids I new at school changed alot at 6th form and they all want to learn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MUN123)
    The best thing for you is to teach at college students well give you respect and are alot maturer.
    I am a 6th former and I can tell you that some kids I new at school changed alot at 6th form and they all want to learn.
    yeah, i found this quite true...i used to support this child, was a real pain at times tbh.

He found me outside school once after his gcse (now in 6th form) and he was keen inshaking my hand, "hi sir, how you doing? u alright sir? thanks etc..." the whole lot... i could hardly believe this was the same child just 3 months ago. Must admit one of the most pleasent interactions with a child ive had.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lookingtoteach)
    oh i thought once you have a qts you could teach at any key stage and/or any subject you wished...
    In my last placement school there was a teacher who trained at secondary and was teaching infants. You CAN move, but it doesn't happen often

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MUN123)
    I think thats a fair point but it does depend on what you are teaching and at what college - for example I work (support staff not teaching staff) in a college and we have some very, very, very difficult students!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.