The Student Room Group

Should a law be introduced obliging companies to advertise jobs at Job Centres?

I'm sick of people being given jobs because they happened to know someone who works at the company, without the job vacancy ever being advertised to the public. It doesn't seem right. Should companies be made to advertise all of their vacancies primarily through the Job Centre so that all job seekers have the opportunity of applying?
Reply 1
I think there should be a law obliging people from making stupid suggestions.
Reply 2
No.

And why would going jobs to regular unemployed people and not those unemployed people who happen to know someone at the company make any difference to anything?

I think you should network to know more people to help get you a job. You need to have contacts to get anywhere in this world.
It's more about who you know than what you know.

And you can't force an independent business to do something like this. It wouldn't work.
Reply 4
i can see your point, but its a complicated process plus wasting money and time, its quicker to employ inner contacts rather than outside and as been told cheaper, sadly its a tough world out there, a toughie
Reply 5
It's not what you know, but who you know. If you are part of Labour Councillor Mary Rimmer's family, you will be guaranteed a job at the council. It's all kept in the family. I guess that many companies operate like this.

That's capitalism for you.
Original post by Bookmark
I'm sick of people being given jobs because they happened to know someone who works at the company, without the job vacancy ever being advertised to the public. It doesn't seem right. Should companies be made to advertise all of their vacancies primarily through the Job Centre so that all job seekers have the opportunity of applying?

It's called external recruitment. Or so we've learnt in business.
Reply 7
Why does everyone think legislation solves everything?

Over-regulating businesses will drive them out of the country.
Human nature is human nature. People favour those they know over those they don't.
Original post by Martyn*
It's not what you know, but who you know. If you are part of Labour Councillor Mary Rimmer's family, you will be guaranteed a job at the council. It's all kept in the family. I guess that many companies operate like this.

That's capitalism for you.

That's a terrible example.
Reply 10
At the end of the day, a company isn't a democratic institution but an independent entity. Philosophically it'd be wrong to force them to hire in a certain way just the same as it would be wrong to force you to marry a random person.

I think there are bigger problems in that job centre adverts are an absolute joke as it is. Employment agencies are like misanthropic mid-level drug dealers: taking the original brief, cutting it with their own special cryptic bull**** and revealing as little about the job as possible. The job may or may not exist, but might just be a feeler.
Anyway, without sounding like a snob, job centres tend to be frequented by those who are being forced to look for work - less skills, less motivation to work - an employer is less likely to want this.

Obviously this is a total generalisation and I don't mean to say that there aren't many unfortunate people who have lost their jobs through no fault of their own and are seeking employment through a job centre.
I have recently had to use the job centre to find a job and found them useless, none of the jobs they had were relevant to me. I got off my a**e and looked myself, I searched websites, asked friends/ family, asked in shops, sent out random cvs and I managed to get a Xmas temp job.

So my answer is No they should not be forced to advertise with the job centre, a lot of companies do employ people internally and never advertise, that is up to them. At the end of the day if you really want a job you won't rely on the job centre you will do what I have and what no doubt many others have done and looked in a variety of places.
I would have thought it was an employer's prerogative to be able to hire people they actually know and trust in preference to random people off the street. They'd then open their job to the public after failing to find such a person.

Plus, advertising at a job centre costs a lot of time and money. People at the JobCentre apply to all sorts of jobs without really researching the role, making sure that they're actually experienced and qualified for the job being advertised etc. It's usually the first port of call for people who are struggling to find work, rather than those who naturally fit a certain role. It just means that a lot of people who clearly aren't going to get the job end up applying to it anyway. And then the employer has to pointlessly go through all these CVs.

The very best applicants probably haven't been anywhere near a JobCentre, so companies offering very highly skilled jobs will be wasting their time there. And it would be wasting the applicants' time too. It's highly unlikely that the ideal candidates would have been applying at the JobCentre, and therefore unlikely that JobCentre applicants will get hired anyway.

It's a lot more efficient for say, an accountancy job to only be subtly advertised in an accountancy circle, or in journals and newsletters which are specifically targeted towards people in the industry. Rather than advertising a job to the whole country, it saves so much effort to only advertise to people who stand a chance of getting that job. Particularly if it's a competitive one, they can afford to make the applicant search for them, rather than them searching for the applicant.

If say, an Investment Bank or Consultancy Firm started advertising at the JobCentre, it would be more of a formality than anything. I reckon it would result in pretty much no hirings, but lot of paperwork.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending