Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    We are nearly at the end of our first term now and I really hate my course. I find the maths difficult, and I could work towards it if it wasnt as mind dullingly boring as it is. I keep thinking "damn, should have done politics", in which I enquired about changing, to no avail. Exams soon and I know I wont get good marks. No motivation for a course I hate and cant imagine having a job in afterwards. Ive applied again on UCAS, as I dont have anything to lose by doing that.

Social life is terrible too. There's very few people ive met at uni, I feel really alone here.

Considering dropping out after this term and getting a job until next September.

I know people on TSR normally rant on about not dropping out and stuff, but do I have any other options? Wanted some opinions on this.

Slightly worried how the fee stuff would work out if I dropped out now too.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    If you're really unhappy there's no point in staying.

I was privately educated and one of the things that was drilled into our head was the notion of "You have only once chance in life". Frankly, that's crap. The only truth is you have one life and you need to do whatever it is that will make you the happiest. If you fail an exam or leave your course for whatever it isn't the end of your life. You're still young and have plenty of time to get a degree. Weigh up your options and choose the path that best suits you.

That being said I'd talk it though with your university union/pastoral care. They're there for just this sort of reason and they can be very helpful. Your parents are also here to help you, so speak to them and I'm sure you'll get the support you need

The best of luck to you!

ReputationRep:
    I didn't enjoy my course last year and I dropped out after Christmas. If you know you're definitely unhappy here and honestly think you have given it enough time then leave-- there's no point wasting anymore money for accommodation/tuition fees, etc.

Regarding the 'fee stuff' you're going to have to pay back some of the loan which was supposed to be used for the rest of the academic year. You won't have to pay the whole lot off of course cos some of it WAS used to pay the tuition fees/accommodation (for the first term). Hope that makes sense. It's not THAT much hassle, don't worry. If you hate your course that much it's worth it.

ReputationRep:
    if you are unsure of maths you cud always get a tuition from somewhere...but one year is not a big deal, you will end up with some work experience, earn some money and will meet many professionals while you will be working.

ReputationRep:
    It seems like you're pretty sure that this course and Uni is not for you. In which case, dropping out probably is a good idea. The course only gets harder and you have two and a half years to go otherwise.
    Do something you enjoy, definitely. Politics also gives you a decent amount of career options after Uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popdrops)
    I didn't enjoy my course last year and I dropped out after Christmas. If you know you're definitely unhappy here and honestly think you have given it enough time then leave-- there's no point wasting anymore money for accommodation/tuition fees, etc.

Regarding the 'fee stuff' you're going to have to pay back some of the loan which was supposed to be used for the rest of the academic year. You won't have to pay the whole lot off of course cos some of it WAS used to pay the tuition fees/accommodation (for the first term). Hope that makes sense. It's not THAT much hassle, don't worry. If you hate your course that much it's worth it.
    Ah, and now I see your at Sheffield? Are you enjoying it more this time? Ive applied there :cool:

Thanks for everyone's advice, nice to see there's no-one saying "ah stupid decision stick to it!". I tihnk ill go into uni today and ask about how it would work and things like that.

Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by impossible!)
    Ah, and now I see your at Sheffield? Are you enjoying it more this time? Ive applied there :cool:
    Erm...well, I used to go to the University of Manchester. At the moment I think I preferred every aspect of Manchester compared to Sheffield- except the course. I'm not keen on Sheffield at the moment. If I hadn't already dropped out and if I wasn't doing 'ok' in my new course I'd be applying via UCAS again BUT that being said it really depends on the individual. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popdrops)
    Erm...well, I used to go to the University of Manchester. At the moment I think I preferred every aspect of Manchester compared to Sheffield- except the course. I'm not keen on Sheffield at the moment. If I hadn't already dropped out and if I wasn't doing 'ok' in my new course I'd be applying via UCAS again BUT that being said it really depends on the individual. Good luck
    Ive never visited Sheffield, so ill have to have a look myself I guess. Ive visited Manchester before though, as it's close to my home town so I considered it. Really didnt get a feel for it though. So yeah, like you said I guess it depends on the individual.

Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.