Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I am poor and want to do a 2nd degree...how to fund this? Watch

ReputationRep:
    hiya,

i've just finished a geophysics degree but i wasn't entirely happy with it nor felt fulfilled. I want to go to uni to do maths or biology. I was wondering how i could go about funding further study as i've heard you only get government funding just the once. Any ideas? I know the obvious thing would do to be to get a job, save up, then go again, but that'll take years! Any other ideas?

blue.

ReputationRep:
    Off topic but aren't you the one who was travelling round the world, starting off in America? Your name rings a bell. Thought you were going for over a year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent)
    Off topic but aren't you the one who was travelling round the world, starting off in America? Your name rings a bell. Thought you were going for over a year?
    Hello,

I am indeed. I did 5 months travelling and got back yesterday afternoon. Came back early because I didn't like australia and was homesick. I'm honoured you remembered!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue_shift86)
    Hello,

I am indeed. I did 5 months travelling and got back yesterday afternoon. Came back early because I didn't like australia and was homesick. I'm honoured you remembered!
    Did you make it to Asia and NZ? That's a shame about Australia, I had a brilliant time there myself. What was wrong with it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent)
    Did you make it to Asia and NZ? That's a shame about Australia, I had a brilliant time there myself. What was wrong with it?
    i loved cali, hawaii, fiji, nz, oz was over rated. It is for people who are into beaches etc...i am into my outdoors and nature, and nz had more of that and it was better than oz. . I was going to go to SE asia for 4 months but i was homesick so decided to return home early. I'll go back to SE asia next summer or autumn or whenever I have the urge to travel again

How've you been? Do you have any ideas on the original post btw?:P

ReputationRep:
    i loved cali, hawaii, fiji, nz, oz was over rated. It is for people who are into beaches etc...i am into my outdoors and nature, and nz had more of that and it was better than oz. . I was going to go to SE asia for 4 months but i was homesick so decided to return home early. I'll go back to SE asia next summer or autumn or whenever I have the urge to travel again

How've you been? Do you have any ideas on the original post btw?:P
    Hmmm there's plenty of national parks, outdoor sports and nature there if you look for it, away from the beaches But anyway, yeah SE Asia is definitely worth going to. I've been alright, just wish I could afford to go travelling again in the near future. As to your OP, I'd like to know the answer too - I'd love to do another degree as well, but see no way of affording it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MoanyLisa)
    If you're so poor, how could you afford all of this travelling? :dontknow:
    Serious question.
    I'm assuming he's poor because he's just come back from travelling

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MoanyLisa)
    If you're so poor, how could you afford all of this travelling? :dontknow:
    Serious question.
    Very valid question.

ReputationRep:
    That's why I'm glad the govt only funds degrees once. People take the piss, how someone can choose a degree that's not right for them is beyond me.

If you are really motivated then you will work and save up for a masters or whatever you plan to do. There are also bank career development loans available.

Maybe it's time for the workplace and to gain a bit of maturity. It's no longer the nanny state and rightfully so.

ReputationRep:
    Try doing a masters program close to what you want to do, they are shorter (therefore cheaper esp once you account for living) and a step forward.

Doing another BA is like starting again.

ReputationRep:
    This is a really mad idea.. but get a job?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Band)

Doing another BA is like starting again.
    Agree!

Go for the MA option. You may need to do a pre-masters if your degree subject and MA subject are too different.

As regards funding it:
    1 You might be able to get an industry sponsor to cover your fees
    2 You might be able to apply for a bursary/fee waiver/ scholarship from the university you're applying to
    3 If you do it part-time and pay in installments then that could spread the cost over two years (and allow you to work, earning a wage and thereby pay-off the installments.

Points 1 & 3 could also be applied to taking another undergrad degree (although I suspect you are probably less likely to get sponsorship for an undergrad)

Something else I might suggest is that you spend a few years working, and thinking about whether you realy do want to go back to uni.

ReputationRep:
    hiya,

i've just finished a geophysics degree but i wasn't entirely happy with it nor felt fulfilled. I want to go to uni to do maths or biology. I was wondering how i could go about funding further study as i've heard you only get government funding just the once. Any ideas? I know the obvious thing would do to be to get a job, save up, then go again, but that'll take years! Any other ideas?

blue.
    That would be hard, thats why they say choose the one you think will be the best for you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babygirl110)
    That's why I'm glad the govt only funds degrees once. People take the piss, how someone can choose a degree that's not right for them is beyond me.

If you are really motivated then you will work and save up for a masters or whatever you plan to do. There are also bank career development loans available.

Maybe it's time for the workplace and to gain a bit of maturity. It's no longer the nanny state and rightfully so.
    I disagree, I studied biomed because I genuinely enjoyed it and wanted to work in the field, however as I got more involved in the course I decided that I wanted to study medicine and work in the public sector.

There are numerous reasons why people decide to do a degree in a particular field, be it money, peer/family pressure or because they have a particular affinity for that subject.

Choosing a degree at 18 can be a mentally tiring process and whilst at Uni many, many people I knew had no idea what they wanted to do in life. Some did Masters to try and focus their interest in something specific, some abandoned their original courses altogether for other things and others have just enjoyed life for a bit.

OP you can receive (maintenance)loans as far as I am aware however you will not be eligible for the tuition fee loan. You can apply for a bank loan which can tide you over for a little while but you will need to find paid work.

I am going down the same route this year and its not going to be easy. Just make sure you genuinely want to do this and that it will benefit you in the long run.

ReputationRep:
    You won't be eligible for any tuition fee or maintenance loans, I'm afraid. ELQ rules will also make it ridiculously expensive (you might be charged overseas fee rates)

If you don't want to do a master's and still want to study a second degree, go with the OU or Birkbeck College.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tigermoth99)
    You won't be eligible for any tuition fee or maintenance loans, I'm afraid. ELQ rules will also make it ridiculously expensive (you might be charged overseas fee rates)

If you don't want to do a master's and still want to study a second degree, go with the OU or Birkbeck College.
    Oh dear, ok I may need to prostitute myself,

Any takers? :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    You could get a job and study part time for your degree.

ReputationRep:
    You could try getting a job and saving ?

ReputationRep:
    by shakin dat bootayy

ReputationRep:
    hiya,

blue.
    Live with it.

You didn't do your research properly and so you chose the wrong course. Surely you would have realised that you were not a fan of the course within the first year, at which point you could have changed to something you liked more, or dropped out and reapplied.

Also, you must have known before you went travelling that you wanted to do a 2nd degree, so why didn't you stay at home rather than travelling so you had some money to start your 2nd degree.

As thing stand you have 1 option, get a job, save up, and then apply again a few years down the line.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.