Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello to all!

I'd just like to express my relief upon finding this forum, after countless hours of searching google like an obsessive compulsive, only to yield little to no information.

I'll be twenty-one in the new year, and have previously completed my GCSE's, a BTEC National Diploma, and am currently in my first year of a Bachelors degree in the arts. I've come to realize in this short period of time, that this may not be for me. The interest is there, though is beginning to wane slightly. I'm wondering if the lack of mental taxation means 'is this really what I want to do?'

I thought long and hard, veeeeery long before making the step to go to university. I figured my chosen course was precisely what I wanted to do, and imagined it to be a certain way (after multiple visits, testimonials and other praises off of other students), yet it isn't quite what I envisioned it to be so.

I was one of those people in school who, not to blow smoke up my arse, could complete any task with relative ease, though didn't have that necessary drive to do so. As a result, I completed highschool with average- to better than average GCSE results. It's a cliche I know, though I wish I had done much better and actually applied myself.

I've taken a look recently at the average entry requirements for the BA that I now want to pursue. I fall short in GCSE Mathematics, and as already mentioned, I didn't complete A-levels. I understand a Diploma is equivalent to GCE, though I can't help but feel apprehensive about potentially applying to a university with no GCE qualifications.

I outlined earlier many hours of searching yielded circular results and nothing spectacularly helpful in regards to me getting my A-level qualifications. Mature student courses seem to be seldom at best, though I'm not sure I've been looking in the right places. I need some student assistance, as many of you have done A-levels!

Am I right in thinking, that if I were to attend a college or other institute in which getting my GCE levels were possible, that I could also redo a particular GCSE? I remember a friend from college retaking his English GCSE whilst studying for his Diploma, though I'm unsure as to whether the fact he enrolled before 19 was conditional to this...

In short, I want to gain 3 A-level certificates, in addition to retaking my Mathematics GCSE, and possibly my English one too. Any advice or information would be appreciated so much, I can't tell you!

Oh, and I'm in the Manchester area, if that matters at all.

ReputationRep:
    Why on earth would you want to go backwards? If you are doing a BA now there's no point in going back to get GCSE or A LEVELS which only have worth in getting people to university in the first place!

Just speak to your university and see if you can swap courses for something else or choose some more interesting modules for next year. Parts of your course will be boring, but thats life, you just need to get on with it and get it under your belt so you can do something you want to do in the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Scotto)
    Why on earth would you want to go backwards? If you are doing a BA now there's no point in going back to get GCSE or A LEVELS which only have worth in getting people to university in the first place!

Just speak to your university and see if you can swap courses for something else or choose some more interesting modules for next year. Parts of your course will be boring, but thats life, you just need to get on with it and get it under your belt so you can do something you want to do in the future.
    Valid points, my friend, but let me explain further:

If I transferred from my current course, next year, I'd only be going to a university of the same caliber, albeit a subject lining up with my greater interest, and this isn't what I want!

I wish to attend a very prestigious university, to challenge my intellect (it has to be said, not many people have done so, so far). Not so great as to be almost unattainable to the general public, but a large step-up from my current position, nonetheless.

I had convinced myself the arts were the career I always wanted to enter, though as I have recently discovered; this isn't the case. Like already mentioned; six months ago, I would have thought it'd be the ultimate path to take. Though now, the stones haven't fell that way. If you can change it, especially whilst in the joviality of youth; why not!?

I should also mention that my view on life is very Epicurean. I find the greatest joys in the most simple of pleasures. Of those, the concept of learning being most primary. I genuinely love learning, and it seems to reciprocate it's gifts as long as the relationship lasts.

As such, the fees of university education do not matter. Those who value knowledge above everything else (rightly so, it is what perpetuated mankind and blasted it to it's current echelon) care not for such a trivial concept.

I suppose this thread didn't really need to be created, though I wanted to see if anybody had shared a similar experience! Many thanks for your reply though, Scotto!

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps you could enrol on an Access to Higher Education course, you get GCSE Maths and English equivalent as well as 3 A Level equivalents, and many Access students manage to get a place at 'prestigious' universities. The course takes place over a one year period full time, or two years if you're doing it part time.

I'm currently on one, and as long as you put the work in, you can show how apt you are at learning with their newly implemented grading system (Pass, Merit, Distinction, with Distinction being the best). If you genuinely think you could get terrific grades (i.e. a ton of Distinctions), then universities like Oxbridge will most likely invite you for an interview. If there is a specific course you're aiming for, depending on your local college that offers Access, there are several pathways available: Access to Law, Access to Nursing, Access to History, Access to Social Work etc., I didn't want to go into Social Work or Nursing (the only ones available where I live) so I did the Access to HE: Combined Studies course which gives you several units in different subjects and helps keep your options open. I'm applying for Japanese and have had offers from Manchester and Sheffield which I'm very pleased with, so Access is definitely a viable option!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.