Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys I'm currently deciding which universities I want to put down on my UCAS form. I really need to decide ASAP.
    I'm pretty sure I want to computer science, it really interests me.
    Though I'm doing a BTEC that's worth around 3 A-levels, or so I'm told. It seems easier than A levels so I don't mind that the requirements are normally more for universities.

ANyways more to the point, I was wondering is there any difference between a BEng or a BSc? I've read it's mostly just a title, so would it not matter really when I leave university? As in would some jobs prefer a BSc over a BEng and why?

Thanks.

P.S. At the university of Hertfordshire the professor told me on the open day that with my predicted 3 distinctions if I were to go there I should look into doing a MEng that they offer there, is it worth the extra year?
    So like, would a masters from a lesser university be worth more than a bachelor's from a way better university?

P.P.S. Do you think with predicted three distinctions in a computing BTEC that I'd stand a chance at getting into Edinburgh university? It's 7:15am in the morning so I can't phone them right now.

Thanks guys.

ReputationRep:
    Well, if you want to be a chartered engineer then the academic requirements are that you have a masters level of education or equivalent so it makes sense to do an MEng in that case.

Just check on the status of your course with the Engineering Council to see if it a recognised engineering qualification or not:

http://www.engc.org.uk/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.