Warwick vs Imperial: MSc Management Watch

• View Poll Results: MSc Mgt: Imperial vs Warwick
    Imperial
    41.03%
    Warwick
    58.97%

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I am looking to work in corporate finance (M&A) for an investment bank. I have offers from Imperial and Warwick for an MSc Mgt. Which university do you think would put me in the best position?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    waste of money.

ReputationRep:
    Hi 'Silver9',

Both are very good Universities and I understand your current predicament.
    However as you are wanting to go into M&A and wanting to study a MSc in Management, I feel you need to take heed of a few key points. The major one being that Warwick is renowned for its business department as much as Imperial is renowned for its engineering department. Funnily enough a current student actually had an offer from both Warwick and Imperial for Mgt, but after looking at the syllabus and so on, actually chose Warwick for some of the reasons laid out below:

Firstly, by looking at the two business schools in which the MSc in Management lies, I think that you can start to see the benefits of Warwick over Imperial. By having a quick look at the Warwick Business School (WBS) on various league tables, you can see the quality of the school noted in how it was No 1 in its undergraduate programme for Business and Management (in the Guardian University Guide 2011 and the Sunday Times League Table 2011 ). This quality resonates and builds the basis of a very strong Masters programme in Mgt. As such this quality is visible to companies and recruiters and you are actually prompted to select Warwick Business School as opposed to the University of Warwick when filling out applications.
    As a current student on the Mgt course at Warwick, I can personally vouch for this quality, and in fact there are already numerous students who have secured grad jobs with the likes of Goldman Sachs, Credit Suisse, Nomura and Standard Chartered to name but a few banks.

Secondly, the Mgt course here at Warwick teaches modules such as ‘corporate finance’, ‘financial accounting’, ‘economics’ etc all of which are directly relatable to your career path. It is modules such as these, that show how the Mgt course at Warwick really equips you with the necessary tools needed to launch a successful career in banking for example.

Also just to reiterate, you have to understand that Imperial is synonymous and known foremost for its engineering and science department whereas Warwick is known for being particularly strong in economics/finance/management. (Not to mention the fees for UK students at Imperial are close to £20,000 compared with to the £13,500 you would pay at Warwick.)

Overall, good luck with your decision and I can only give you my opinion. As I have said both are good Unis but in terms of what you want to do and what you want to study, Warwick would be my recommendation mainly due to the fact that it is known for its business School and sends students to top investment firms and banks year in year out.

Hope this all helps, if you need any more info, just send me a message.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dorian10)
    waste of money.
    Thing is though whilst your sitting at home unemployed, going through bags of Doritos and making futile and baseless comments, myself and others are actually doing something useful and developmental.

So whilst you view a MSc as a 'waste of money', others including myself view it as 'an investment in our futures'.

Nonetheless thanks for your useful input.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Silver9,

As a student on the Warwick MSc Management course who is going into investment banking, I feel I am in a good position to advocate the strength of the Warwick MSc course to you.

As Tolu has pointed out, the Warwick MSc course has a strong finance element to it, allowing you to gain exposure to the principles of finance which should help to improve your skill set and boost your credentials as a candidate looking to get into the incredibly competitive world of M&A. Modules start assuming that candidates have little prior knowledge but be prepared to be pushed and challenged with presentations, group work and exams at the end of each term to ensure that candidates can understand and apply the relevant course material. Additionally, through completing presentations and group projects, you will be armed with a soft skill set which is highly attractive to potential employers.

So far as career prospects go, a degree from Warwick Business School is considered by bulge bracket banks to be very advantageous (As long as you have a 2.1 at undergraduate level). So far, pupils on our course have been very successful in their search for employment with this course giving most of us an applied business degree on top of our Liberal Arts background.

Obviously I can’t speak for the merits and/or limitations of the Imperial course but from my personal experience, Warwick Business School is a great choice and fit for a candidate with aspirations to enter Corp. Finance.

ReputationRep:
    I should also probably add:

As a more general point, the Warwick course seems to offer more flexibility than the Imperial course which allows you to tailor your module choices to what interests you (In the first term of the Imperial course, a pupil doesn’t have any choice over the modules which he/she takes).

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    I know i'm not in the good topic, but I don't really want to create one another.

I received that mail:

Re: Application to MSc Finance and Economics

"Further to your application to the MSc in Finance and Economics (MSFE) at Warwick Business School, I am delighted to inform you that the programme’s Admissions Panel has made a recommendation to the University’s Postgraduate Admissions Team for admission to the programme. Please note this recommendation is subject to formal verification and approval by the University.

You will receive official notification of the University’s decision from the Postgraduate Admissions Team in due course."

Does that mean I will get an offer ?
    At least, it looks quite positive !
    What do you think about the msc fiance and econ and especially about the career possibility ?

Thank you guys !

ReputationRep:
    That message looks very positive, I would assume you've got it but don't get too excited till its fully been verified though!

Again linking to my past comments, Warwick Business School is very strong and as such the MSFE is a very good course and highly competitive. It is certainly a course that is very desirable to banks etc as the combination of finance and economics means that you will have the grounding and skills that you can take into your career.

Again this will make you stand out to employers and I would be very surprised if you don't get to at least the interview stages for jobs your looking at with that on your CV.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, thank you for your answer !

I received that today :

"Before your place on this course can be officially confirmed, you will need to meet the following condition(s) on or before 31 August 2011:

~ Submit an English Language test certificate confirming a score of (or equivalent to) IELTS 7.0.
    ~ Submit a completed 'Certification of Degree Result' form or provide the original (or an attested copy) of your certificate/transcript with an official translation into English confirming the award of your degree with a final mark of at least 14. "

Just have to see my uni to get an official degree transcript and I'll get in !
    Still looking forward to hearing from LSE.

So, for instance, do you think consulting groups like warwick? I mean I know it will be pretty difficult to get in M/B/B but what about the others ?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Yes as I said doing a course such as an MSFE at WBS will make you stand out to employers and significantly boosts your CV and credentials.

In terms of consultancy, I think that the skills you gain at WBS ranging from how the modules will help develop your presentation skills and analytical abilities are what appeal greatly to consulting groups. One of my housemates is actually doing a MSc in Economics and has managed to get an interview with McKinsey and Company which is known for being highly selective in its application process. There also students on my course with offers from the consulting departments at EY and also KPMG.

As such, WBS will always appeal to a different variety of industries and companies and as one of the leading Unis in the UK, I'm sure that all firms 'like' Warwick whether they operate in the engineering industry or consulting for example.

ReputationRep:
    Ok,
    I'm so glad I got in that course, I still cannot belive it actually !

ReputationRep:
    How did you get an offer so fast Silver9?

ReputationRep:
    Thank u everyone for your advice. I don't know how I got an offer so fast to be honest but I am just very thankful that I have the opportunity to go to a leading business school.

ReputationRep:
    Imperial

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silver9)
    Hi guys,

I am looking to work in corporate finance (M&A) for an investment bank. I have offers from Imperial and Warwick for an MSc Mgt. Which university do you think would put me in the best position?

Thanks.
    Imperial is far better

ReputationRep:
    both are target schools, both are equally likely to land you a job.

Personally, given the choice i'd go to Imperial but that's because I have a STEM undergrad, and being able to leech abit from imperials STEM reputation in addition to going to a top business school seems win win to me. Also i'm from London so there's that bias too.

I'd say if money is an issue go to the cheapest. If course content is the issue, go with what you think you'll find most interesting. There is not a single scenario where you will/wont land an interview (in finance or consulting) because you chose Imperial over Warwick or vice versa.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.