Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What would improve a coffee shop for you? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am a business studies student and would like to carry out a bit of market research.

I have an idea for a coffee shop and before I do some more research I wanted to find out what would improve the whole 'experience' of buying and drinking at coffee shops. Such as lower price, more seats, other facilites and anything else you can think of.

Any replies would be really appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Boobs.

ReputationRep:
    Looking at a comparison of high street chains to what I would like to see...

- Either bring the drinks over, or have a way of calling you up when yours is ready
    - Cleaner seats (they're squishy enough, but after a few weeks of opening they're already pretty bad looking)
    - More squishy sofas
    - Free wifi

Are you looking more for information about products, or about the whole shop?

ReputationRep:
    The option for a smaller drink. In Starbucks 'tall' is the smallest you can get and it's average sized, when sometimes I would like a small drink.

ReputationRep:
    An option have simply have "coffee", rather than all this cappucino/latte/machiato rubbish. A cup of filter coffee shouldn't be more than £1.50 absolute max. It winds me up no end when I go into a coffee shop and ask for "a coffee please" and they look at me blankly. It's a **** ing coffee shop isn't it? and where's the fresh milk? If you can't make me a better cup of coffee than Nescafe instant, then you fail as a coffee shop.

Free newspapers to read are also appreciated. and the Daily mail doesn't count.

A couple of computers with free internet (10 minutes max, customers only) would also bring the punters through the door.

ReputationRep:
    Decent coffee :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I like autumnal (warm oranges etc) colours in coffee shops and quaint mugs (I like the big ones). The layout needs to be good too: open-plan and smart but cozy.

Special drinks that I haven't tried before are cool. I enjoyed Starbucks' Eggnog Latte.

I always imagine coffee shops as quite conventionally American so references to American culture might be good e.g. pics of the Empire State Building etc.

ReputationRep:
    Cocaine.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with whoever said more comfy seats as they're always taken when I go in also free wifi would be good as it would allow people to do their work etc whilst having a nice coffee.

I would also say deals, where I work we we do a coffee and muffin deal so you can get a cake and drink for £3 which encourages people to have a cake and its a good price considering how much they are seperately.

Maybe more choice of savoury food? In some of the chains the choice is pretty small and generally overpriced.

Faster table-cleaning, I know from working in a coffee shop this isn't always easy to do when it's a busy shift but theres nothing more off-putting than when there are no clear and clean tables.

Good choice of coffee/tea available in a good range of sizes (I know this is what most coffee shops have but think its something that should be highlighted).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoppy77)
    Hi,

I am a business studies student and would like to carry out a bit of market research.

I have an idea for a coffee shop and before I do some more research I wanted to find out what would improve the whole 'experience' of buying and drinking at coffee shops. Such as lower price, more seats, other facilites and anything else you can think of.

Any replies would be really appreciated
    Seriously?

Being allowed to smoke, or having seperate smoking rooms.

I don't even smoke (not even skunk, despite my username :tongue:)

But I definately think it would improve business.

(Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    Boobs.
    ... and this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pothead1)
    Seriously?

Being allowed to smoke, or having seperate smoking rooms.

I don't even smoke (not even skunk, despite my username :tongue:)

But I definately think it would improve business.

... and this
    I think OP wants ideas that are actually feasible. Not going to be allowed in the UK is it?

ReputationRep:
    Thinking about it, I think there is probably a bit of a gap in the middle of the coffee market between Starbucks/Nero/Costa at the overpriced end and McDonalds etc at the cheap end.

Most people go into a coffee shop for a hot drink and possibly a cake, and to sit down and get out of the cold for 20 minutes. they are generally going to want to chat, read a book, read a newspaper, check their emails.

I don't go to the "high-end" chains because they're woefully overpriced. I don't go to McDonalds because its not a particularly nice environment to sit in. If you could solve both those problems at once, then you would get a lot of customers that are too cheap for Starbucks.

Realistically, I would want to pay £1 for a basic filter coffee (it costs about 5p to make FFS) and £1 for a Danish Pastry or a flapjack. You could also offer some simple hot food like cheese toasties at lunch time.

You should also do free coffee refills for an extra 50p. Coffee shops that do that are always popular.

Coffee shops that also stay open into the evening and serve beer and wine at non-extortionate prices are also both rare and :top:

ReputationRep:
    If they were damn well open until later. I come from a place where it's possible to chill out in a comfy cafe until 3AM (which was especially good for the people who didn't drink) and have really great late-night conversations whilst being served great coffee and snacks.

Also: Moroccan-themed cafes are awesome too. In a basement room with pillows and rugs scattered all over the floor, low tables and lit by those gorgeous glass lamps. The one I've been to not only served great coffee and leaf teas, but also alcoholic coffee (added shot of whiskey and whipped cream, anyone?) and really delicious Moroccan desserts.

yeah make the enviroment look better and so people can have more privacy

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ily_em)
      I think OP wants ideas that are actually feasible. Not going to be allowed in the UK is it?
      Yes, but he can mention it in his essay/report or something how the smoking ban has affected businesses.

It is such a draconian law. If it is my premises, my business, if I want to allow smoking, I should be able to. If people don't like that are or offended by it, they shouldn't come. That is the risk the business takes, they risk losing non-smoking customers who don't like the smoke.

Its gets even more stupid when a lot of business places had seperate smoking rooms which did not affect those who don't want to smoke.

ReputationRep:
      Free wi-fi for customers to connect to :-) This would help me a lot, as I would be able to work whilst I was there. It's important for us who have to travel around a fair bit to and from uni/work etc.

Cheaper coffee. I'm sorry, but I think even paying £1.50 for what you could make yourself for 7p is completely stupid.

Newspapers available- but not just one or two, like enough for one at each table at least, so that people aren't waiting around for other people to finish.

Massage chairs :-)

Price your drinks per "unit", and have each "unit" being a third of a cup or something. Then people can pick how much they want to drink.. at Starbucks, I always have to leave half of whatever I buy because there's just too much in the cup!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by pothead1)
      Yes, but he can mention it in his essay/report or something how the smoking ban has affected businesses.

It is such a draconian law. If it is my premises, my business, if I want to allow smoking, I should be able to. If people don't like that are or offended by it, they shouldn't come. That is the risk the business takes, they risk losing non-smoking customers who don't like the smoke.

Its gets even more stupid when a lot of business places had seperate smoking rooms which did not affect those who don't want to smoke.
      I agree that separate, specially designed smoking rooms should be allowed. I don't agree that cafes and pubs in general should be allowed to have smoking any more than they should be allowed to have indoor fireworks or a cyanide gas leak. They're public spaces and cigarette smoke is a proven risk to public health.

ReputationRep:
      sell weed

ReputationRep:
      Some nice ambient music and wall paintings. It is all about ambience for me, not coffee!

ReputationRep:
      more drugs

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.