Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

EU students pay less fees to Wales and Scottish Universities than English students. Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...=feeds-newsxml

'Last night it became clear that EU students from outside Britain will enjoy the same subsidies at Scottish and Welsh universities as students from those countries, while English students will have to pay the full rate – a difference of up to £5,710.

This inequality exists because nations are required under EU law to charge European students the same rates as home undergraduates.'

So, why do English students pay more in Wales and Scotland than EU students ?

I really don't get it...i thought England was in Europe?

ReputationRep:
    If you had read the news article properly then you would've have seen, that 2 paragraphs after what you quoted, it says:

"But Brussels is not thought to have powers to stand up for English students. Since England is only a constituent part of the UK, its students are not officially ‘an EU nation’."

I know that doesn't really shed any light on the exact politics of it all but does become a little clearer if I answer your rhetorical question:

"I thought England was in Europe?"

England is indeed in Europe, if you classify Europe as a continent… However, England itself is not technically a Member State of the European Union; this also applies to both Wales and Scotland...

Collectively, all 3 are known as Great Britain and if you add Northern Ireland to the mix then it becomes the United Kingdom… It is the United Kingdom that is a Member State of the European Union and not each of the 4 countries individually...

The news article itself is slightly misleading though; in that it gives the impression that this particular 'EU Law' applies to all countries in Europe but it doesn't and it should read as:

“This inequality exists because [European Union Member States] nations are required under EU law to charge European [Union Member’s] students the same rates as [other European Union Member’s] home undergraduates."

ReputationRep:
    This is already the case with EU students in Scotland, so I really don't see why this is news now at all.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.