Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been tempted to call the Samaritans various times in my life (including now) but never once had the courage to actually do it. I'm too scared, and I don't know what they'd say to me.

I'm very nervous on the phone as it is, but I just wonder how it would actually play out? Is it true that they're not actually allowed to give advice, just listen? If so then, what exactly do they say to you? I'm scared I'm just going to talk about my problems and get no reply, or I won't be able to talk at all. Talking to a stranger over the phone just sounds like the most horrifyingly daunting thing in the world, I'd much rather talk in person actually because then they can see how distressed you are and act accordingly instead of having to wait for you to actually say what's wrong. Has anyone rang, how does the conversation actually pan out? What if I can't find the words? I don't know what to do.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I really hate phones and am never good at talking about my problems but I got desperate one night at 3am. Since I'm not a phone person, I sent them an e-mail instead ( [email protected] ). Got a reply within about 12 hours, which surprised me since I wasn't entirely sure whether anyone would reply, lol! I don't know if it's true that they can't give advice but certainly from the correspondence I got (I had an e-mail conversation going with them over about 5 days), I'd guess that's probs true. I found it just helpful to get everything off my chest though

E-mailing is quite handy as if you can't find the words, you don't send the e-mail: simple! It also gives you time to think over and formulate your e-mails and to get things in chronological order (if necessary).

If you're looking for solutions or active help, you'd probs be better off going and talking to your GP or a counsellor. If you just wanna talk to someone and get things off your chest, they're quite nice for that

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot, that's very helpful

ReputationRep:
    I know this won't help, but I'm a very good listener if you'd ever like to talk, x

ReputationRep:
    You can call me whilst I watch Top Gear.

ReputationRep:
    I phoned them once and they were wonderful. I was so upset I just cried for about the first 5 minutes without saying a word. Lol. Then I just talked to the guy and got everything off my chest. One thing that annoyed me a little bit was that they asked a couple of times if I had considered suicide. I said yes. It was a lie, but sounded like that was the answer they were after =/ They always ask that, apparently. My friend said they kept asking her that as well, when she phoned them. But don't be scared, it will be fine. Be brave =D

ReputationRep:
    I had to phone them once (not because I was feeling suicidal, I was worried about a friend) and they weren't much use if I'm honest. I think the problem was that I was coming to them for advice and their thing seems to be that they talk people through their feelings rather than tell them what to do, which was what I needed at the time. I did accidentally slip out the phrase 'and I don't know if I could live with myself if that happened' which made the guy ask me if I was feeling suicidal myself! But yes, I think they are good for people who feel like they have nowhere else to go but for my needs they weren't the right people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charcharchar)
    I know this won't help, but I'm a very good listener if you'd ever like to talk, x
    That's very sweet of you, and I shall bear it in mind thanks xXx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vohamanah)
    I phoned them once and they were wonderful. I was so upset I just cried for about the first 5 minutes without saying a word. Lol. Then I just talked to the guy and got everything off my chest. One thing that annoyed me a little bit was that they asked a couple of times if I had considered suicide. I said yes. It was a lie, but sounded like that was the answer they were after =/ They always ask that, apparently. My friend said they kept asking her that as well, when she phoned them. But don't be scared, it will be fine. Be brave =D
    Yeah I thought if I rang I'd just cry the whole time because I'm usually in that state when I feel like ringing lol. I've heard the suicide thing too, I suppose they want to know if they think you're safe with your own company or something, that would probably be the most urgent factor. Glad they helped you though

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone I'm feeling much better today but the next time I feel like that again, I think I will try ringing them, suppose I can just hang up if I feel too uncomfortable lol

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I've rung them before. The lady I got was very nice. I was in a bit of state but she listened and reassured when she could. At the very least they don't judge you in anyway and it lets you get it off your chest.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 6, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.