Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I go back to Bristol or change to Imperial College for my second year? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So... basically, I started uni at Bristol last year but I developed anorexia while I was there (or at least, it got much worse there). Cue hospitalisation, having to come home etc... basically I missed the last term. I did come back to do my exams and passed and everything, but when I came back in September to start second year I stopped eating properly again and started losing weight again, so I ended up suspending my studies and coming home again so I can start second year again next year.

My problem is this, not only did I find it too hard to cope with the eating disorder when I went back, but I also felt really weird and out of place. I've got a couple of really good friends on my course who were fine, but I felt like I didn't really fit in with my housemates any more because I've been away from them for so long. I also felt really homesick generally at first, although that did get better, but it all didn't really help with my mood and so the anorexia etc.

I could apply to transfer to Imperial College in London to go straight into second year, it was my second choice originally and it's also much closer to home, so I could live at home and commute in, or if I did live out then I could always come back for weekends etc. The only thing is, everyone there will have known each other for a year already so it might be really hard to make friends ( which I'm not great at anyway...) But then if I go back to Bristol, it will be just like last time only worse.

Any advice anyone? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I very much doubt Imperial accepts transfers, let alone 2nd year transfers. You might want to email them and ask. That might answer your dilemma right away.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I emailed them a few weeks ago and they said that would probably be ok based on my results from last year and stuff, I need to reapply through UCAS and hope they accept me. I was thinking I would apply anyway and then if I do get a place I can decide then

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.