This discussion is closed.
medilet
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
What kinda grades do they look for in med school? and which are the a-levels tat you need? because someone told me you need all 3 sciences....is this true?? and which other a-levels/as levels can/shoudl i be doing??
thankyou
Nadine
Ensocopier
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by medilet)
What kinda grades do they look for in med school? and which are the a-levels tat you need? because someone told me you need all 3 sciences....is this true?? and which other a-levels/as levels can/shoudl i be doing??
thankyou
Nadine
1. Go to careers library at school, or go on the internet

2. Go to prospectus/internet site of a med school you like

3. Go to offer requirements

4. Read

Geogger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
thankyou
Nadine
As far as I know, the critical science is Chemistry.. not necessarily Biology! A number of students at my school have done Chem, Physics and usually Maths OR Biology, then chosen an interesting 4th subject ..it shows you have a wide ranging intelligence and may well help you on interview (as long as you're good at the science ones too!) the key thing this year seems to be the BMAT and the scores you need to get for that. Some of the current applicants for medicine may be able to help you rather better than I can!
joyabbott
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Grade requirements vary from AAA to ABB but most AAB

Definately Chem, and Bio recommended - It's required by some medschools eg Notts. I applied during old system and took Geography. As most people now take on 4 subjects, I'd say maths or physics, and then 1 other subject of your choice.
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
thankyou
Nadine
If you are talking about studying Medicine at oxbridge you will need an AAA prediction. Cambridge quite like applicants to take the 3 sciences but it is by no means necessary and times are changing (some colleges like Queens' will prefer you to take physics instead of biology if you are choosing between them - but like joy said, bio is necessary for some other unis so I would take it). Oxford are very welcoming to students with an 'interesting' A-level, particularly humanities.

I would personally take at least 2 sciences and maths or the 3 sciences and if you have the choice, another A-level in something 'different'. Definitely chemistry though but I'm sure you know that already I am currently studying (I am a medical applicant) bio, chem, maths & physics for A-level and I did AS French
IZZY!
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
thankyou
Nadine
entry requirements as far as I know to Cambridge and oxford is AAA at A-levels
Alex_R
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hi there, I'm a first year medic at Cambridge. It depends on the medical school but most want AAB at A-Level. Some like Cambridge want AAA and some will go for ABB or even possibly BBBB (excluding general studies) especially the newer ones.

Again it depends on the medical school. The vast majority want Chemistry A-Level (although very occasionaly some will let you get away with A/S). On top of that most want Biology and one of Physics and maths (again though some will let you have Biology A/S.) Therefore my advice for your lower sixth year is Chemistry, Biology, one or both of Physics and Maths and if doing only one of Physics and Maths, any other subject. In your upper sixth you need to check with the individual universities you want to go to but I suggest keeping Chemistry and doing two of Maths, Physics and Biology (but dropping Biology will disadvantage you at some places.) Good luck.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Unless you're going for Oxbridge, most places won't worry about the 3rd A-Level being a science one - even Nottingham were happy to accept German as my 3rd (after Chem and Bio). So if Physics and Maths aren't your things, don't worry - there are still plenty of places you can get into without them. I'd strongly advise full A-Levels in Chem and Bio though, even if places say they aren't necessary, they're a help.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (388)
67.24%
No (189)
32.76%

Watched Threads