Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Monsters vs Skyline: Best alien movie 2010, your take? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Guys,

anybody seen both of the latest alien movies. Saw both and none is like the other. Skyline seems very much like a cheap action movie just based on special effects, liked monsters and the underlying immigration theme.

Interested hearing your views, my opinion monsters best alien movie 2010.

ReputationRep:
    Haven't seen Monsters yet, but Skyline was absolutely dreadful. /facepalm

ReputationRep:
    Monsters is better than Skyline hands down. The acting in Skyline was borderline laughable and the plot wasn't particularly grabbing, although the FX weren't half bad.
    Monsters is good, I mean it's nothing particularly special.. but it developed quite a few interesting ideas and concepts - apposed the classic all out war between species, and the acting is okay.
    Both are definitely no Alien of our time, but Monsters takes the cake.

ReputationRep:
    Haven't seen Monsters (yet) but there is absolutely no possible way it could be any worse than Skyline. Skyline has set a new standard for bad science-fiction movies.

ReputationRep:
    Monsters easily

ReputationRep:
    There isn't a single area where Skyline even comes close to approaching the quality of Monsters.

Been a pretty light year for alien movies though. I can already think of more coming out next year than have been out this year.

ReputationRep:
    Monsters was incredible. Absolutely loved it.

ReputationRep:
    Monsters

Skyline was so bad, great premise but terrible execution, the film went nowhere - almost literally, it was like the cast was stuck in the same location for the entire film, it reminded me of a Sci-Fi B movie from the 50s' or 40s;

It had a budget of like $10,000,000 so that's fair enough but I couldn't help but find it funny, unintentionally funny that is, it even has Turk from Scrubs in it.... The plot was very thin, unexplained and way too rushed, it's a shame cos it could have been a great film

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    Monsters

Skyline was so bad, great premise but terrible execution, the film went nowhere - almost literally, it was like the cast was stuck in the same location for the entire film, it reminded me of a Sci-Fi B movie from the 50s' or 40s;

It had a budget of like $10,000,000 so that's fair enough but I couldn't help but find it funny, unintentionally funny that is, it even has Turk from Scrubs in it.... The plot was very thin, unexplained and way too rushed, it's a shame cos it could have been a great film
    A small budget isn't any excuse (not that $10m is small) - Monsters had less than $500k.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    A small budget isn't any excuse (not that $10m is small) - Monsters had less than $500k.
    Hmm, true. It was such an unintentional comedy as well, at points. Saw a funny post on the Imdb board for skyline - someone said they might has well have gotten the whole cast of Scrubs for the film along with Turk (Donald faison)

and that's quite surprising, even more credit to the film then

ReputationRep:
    Monsters by far. I've noticed a few people didn't like it because they were expecting a bog-standard Hollywood action/horror movie with alien boogeymen eating people and blowing stuff up.

ReputationRep:
    Skyline was a mix of District 9 and War of the Worlds.
    Monsters reminded me alot of Cloverfield and also War of the Worlds where they had to relocate. Was more original out of the two and had an interesting storyline, so I pick Monsters.

ReputationRep:
    Monsters was alright. 6/10. I did enjoy the immigration theme, despite it being about as subtle as a meat cleaver.
    It was very similar to District 9 in that way; both were flawed films that worked better as slightly clumsy satires than stories in their own right.

Haven't see skyline, don't think I'll bother by the sounds of it.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.